Features

Published: 2011/02/01
by Larson Sutton

John Lurie Sustains

*One thing I found so glaring and odd was how the New Yorker article put so little emphasis on this guy threatening two policemen with a baseball bat or that he filed a false police report against you so he could attack you and not be charged. Even his admission that he claimed your identity to find out from the cable company if you had ordered a pay-per-view boxing match, and planned to do so again to ascertain exactly how many minutes you watched the fight. This didn’t get the attention in the article that one might assume. *

Yeah, they really passed over it like it was nothing. Like it was something any sane person might do if they got up on the wrong side of the bed. And the thing I thought was sickest was when I wrote the man asking why he was doing this, the next thing was that somehow he found out where my doctor was and said he would wait there. So, after being really ill for seven years and finally finding some treatment that was helping, he is going to wait at my doctor’s office?

In the past two years you have lived in Granada, Turkey, and Big Sur, among other places. But these were no vacations. Has it been difficult for people, including the New Yorker, to grasp the severity of the effects all this has had on your life?

No one comes close to understanding this. Most would prefer to think I have lost my mind rather than believe what is happening. It is pretty unbelievable, so I understand why people say, ‘Nah, that isn’t really happening.’ But, this is two years of this, and I see no end. But what is really depraved is that the New Yorker had a ton of evidence and knew that someone who had been ill for years was hiding from a very disturbed person. And then wrote a piece of fiction about two artists bickering. I just met with a private detective who had read the same emails that the New Yorker had. He said, “I read the article and thought you were hysterical, but this guy is level 3, shoot-people-from-a-tower crazy.” Three different psychiatrists have had similar impressions. All you have to do is read his post on the Dangerous Minds blog and wonder how on earth the New Yorker made this guy sound rational. If he is the guy in Tucson and I can see it a mile in advance, how on earth does that put my sanity in question?

Did the article, which essentially made this public for the first time, resolve anything or did it make matters worse?

Not sure if it made things worse or not. The situation continues. Whether it made it worse or not is all in the mind of the stalker, a place I really do not want to visit. But, I have to live like the threat is 100% real all the time. Certainly wasn’t like the stalker went, ‘Oh my god, what have I done?’ The _New Yorker _sort of made light of it. It is just so strange. How did it serve them to do this? The truth was such a better story.

You’ve painted throughout your career, your work appearing as cover art for some of the Lounge Lizards releases. In 2007, A Fine Example of Art, was published containing many of your paintings. They also can be seen, and prints purchased, at johnlurieart.com. Additionally, you’ve done successful showings in galleries both in the U.S. and abroad. How have these personal battles informed or affected your work?

Well, now things have pretty much ground to a halt.

When things grind to a halt, either by choice or by circumstance, how, as an artist, do you get out of it? How can you get back to painting?

When you are spending all your time trying to figure out how to be safe, it makes it difficult to do much else. I was able to for a while, but now I am just exhausted.

You have been directed by such notables as Jim Jarmusch, Wim Wenders, and Martin Scorsese. You could’ve been a Hollywood movie star, possibly, if you had chosen that field. Why didn’t you? And do you miss it?

The music was more important to me. I thought also to the world, but maybe I was wrong there. Miss it? Nah.

Your music, acting career, television show, paintings, interviews, and stage banter, typically contain moments of playful, often cynical humor. I think this says a lot about how you handle life. How’s your sense of humor these days?

Still there. You want me to say something funny?

Once during a Lounge Lizards concert in Central Park, there was a moment when somebody tossed a microcassette up on stage, presumably from an audience member recording the show. You smiled, and without comment, slid it into your shirt pocket. What was your feeling on people taping your shows?

It is fine with me. I just hope it sounds good. I am so into capturing the thing sonically and always had trouble with it. I hear these things on YouTube and cringe.

YouTube has certainly become the new medium of bootlegging. The Lounge Lizards have a number of videos on there, including an entire 1998 concert taped for Polish television. It’s visually and sonically pretty good. Is the Live in Berlin concert video from 1991 something that you can see surfacing anytime soon, on YouTube or DVD?

I just saw that Polish one. I think the horns sound very shrill. It is a board tape. Live in Berlin? Yeah, maybe someone should put that on YouTube. I know it sounds good.

A quick check of iTunes finds nearly all of the Lounge Lizards releases as well as your solo and soundtrack work available. What do you think of the digital medium, and how much of your material is under the control of your Strange and Beautiful label?

I control all of the Strange and Beautiful catalogue. I like albums. I like analog recording. I find a little of the soul of the sound is lost in digital.

Can you tell me three of your favorite albums?

I can’t listen to music any more because of the neurological effects and because the loss is too great. So, I no longer have favorite albums, but Zero Hour by Piazzola, something by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and something by Fela. But, I am leaving out Ellington and Monk and Mingus and Hendrix and… I guess I never had three favorite albums. It is kind of like answering, ‘what is your favorite color?’

Rumor is you are working on an autobiography. When might we see something in print or online?
I don’t think any time soon. If I write something now it would have to be this story now. I have the title- There Has to Be a God or It Couldn’t Get This Weird.

« Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Comments

Leonard February 4, 2011, 04:53:50

oh man i gotta admit Lurie is genius and annoyingly talented. Any art form he touches becomes magical and extraordinary. I bet people hate him for that. Well it seems like tad friend did.
such an immature and irresponsible journalism

Maria February 4, 2011, 13:21:36

Great interview, thanks for posting. You should also check out this beautiful article about John Lurie:

Sam February 4, 2011, 18:30:15

Arthur February 4, 2011, 19:49:41

Apparently it’s not so black or white – I highly suggest reading this recently published piece which gives what seems to be an accurate account of both people involved in what’s now considered “John Lurie’s Stalker Situation”. http://staires.org/audio/1937 Maybe we are doing him wrong by perpetuating something that does appear to be fishy, at the very least. As a fan of John Lurie and his work throughout the years I sure would not want to be considered an enabler of something it is purely wrong.

Bertha February 5, 2011, 11:46:06

I tried reading that piece at http://staires.org/audio/1937 but it is so badly written and mean spirited. I can’t believe this guy shared his personal email exchanges with John Lurie without his consent. It’s obvious that his only intention was to screw up Lurie. Shame on you stuyvesant

john February 5, 2011, 15:46:08

Between Larson Sutton and You
John Perry February 4 at 10:54pm
Dear Mr. Sutton, I cannot take issue with your having said in your article that I have a history of violence. It’s true, I have twice confronted individuals who have either threatened my life or harmed me without provocation, and once used violence to defend myself and overcome two criminals who broke into my home, knocked out four of my teeth, split my head open in five places, and bit part of my ear off. It’s also true that I have a criminal record. One arrest for one of the confrontations previously mentioned, one arrest for smoking weed on the subway in 1993 and one arrest for not backing down to two off-duty police men who unlawfully entered my building to view a rental apartment. What I do take exception to is your having written that I have a “tendency toward predatory behavior”. What evidence do you have that would support such a statement? Also you asked a reasonable question of John Lurie: “why has he not filed charges against me?”.
I can’t help but think that you asked that question because it is a perfectly reasonable one. If someone had actually threatened you, or you believed that they intended to kill you, wouldn’t your natural instinct for self-preservation override any “practical or spiritual” concern? It would for me. I don’t blame you for wanting to help John.
It seems clear that you have known him, or of him, for some time; however, I would submit to you that you are helping him in the same way that a friend gives money to a junkie because he believes it will quell his pain. Say what you like, think what you like, and write what you like, but please stick to the facts and limit your opinions of people to those you know. Best regards, John Perry
Larson Sutton February 5 at 12:09am Report
Mr. Perry, Thank you very much for your letter. It is not unexpected, as these past two days have been filled with surprise with regards to the reactions generated by the interview. I’ve come to be less surprised by the surprises. I also appreciate your candor and your disclosure of past incidents from your life. I will not dispute those. However, the following is a direct reprint of the introduction to which I believe you are referring: What had become a life restricted, with little activity outside of his home for six years due to his illness, morphed into surreal in 2008. That is when a onetime friend of Lurie’s turned into his stalker; a man with, according to an August 2010 article in the New Yorker, an admitted history of violence, arrest record, and tendency toward predatory behavior began a series of threatening emails and phone calls. Coupled with his tenuous health, Lurie faced the unimaginable- leaving his home and going into hiding. Moving in and out of the country, and concerned for his safety, Lurie tried to remain positive. A few weeks after his 58th birthday, Lurie conducted the following interview via email, still under significant duress. I wish to isolate this fragment from the introduction, not to patronize you but to illustrate a point: a man with, according to an August 2010 article in the New Yorker, an admitted history of violence, arrest record, and tendency toward predatory behavior began a series of threatening emails and phone calls. What I have written is directly attributed to the article in the New Yorker magazine. I, myself, do not claim to know personally of your history of violence, arrest record, or predatory behavior. I know what the New Yorker reported in its article. That is why I have attributed it as such. If you take exception to the phrase, ‘predatory behavior,’ as it is not a direct quote from the article but rather it is a description of behavior based on opinion, then you are correct. It is based on opinion- that of a licensed psychologist I consulted while writing this piece. The psychologist was presented with the same article as I, and I asked how to best describe the activity of the man in question (yourself). His clinical term was, ‘tendency toward predatory behavior,’ based on the information provided in Friend’s piece. I will not speculate as to the doctor’s rationale for making such a claim. I believe questions in such areas of physical and psychological capability are best left to the experts, to which I deferred. I will not presume how you feel about such an assessment, but I can understand your taking exception to this description, as you may very well feel quite differently about yourself. As such, you have every right to challenge and dispute the description, but it was not written without clinical corroboration. Despite much of what others do online these days, I do not offer speculation in areas of which I’m not an expert. Furthermore, you are a ‘public figure,’ at this stage in your life, thanks to both the article and your career as an artist. Public figures, under law, are subjected to much more criticism, scrutiny, and at times, opinion. If you wish to avoid being portrayed by opinion, I would suggest returning to private life. Additionally, unlike blogs, this interview was not posted without being reviewed by the editors of the site, the chief editor of which maintains a law degree from Columbia University. They take very seriously the content of website. The following is an inference at best, but I’m correctly or incorrectly assuming that you believe I’m a friend of Mr. Lurie’s and “wanting to help” him. I appreciate John’s artistic contributions in film, art, and especially music. I have met John Lurie on three occasions; the first in 1995 as a backstage guest of one of the Lounge Lizards. I spoke to him again briefly at a Lounge Lizards show in 1998 in Los Angeles. Finally, I spoke to him briefly at a book signing in Los Angeles in 2007. I would not classify Mr. Lurie as a friend, but I have certainly come to know more about him over the course of our email interview. How the interview helps or harms Mr. Lurie is not within my control, nor was it a consideration when proposing the interview to Mr. Lurie. 2011 will mark the 30-year-anniversary of the first Lounge Lizards release, and I felt, given his seclusion, his curious fanbase, and the recent events made public by the New Yorker article, this may be an opportune time to interview Mr. Lurie. He agreed. Finally, I’m guessing that you read the entire interview and not just the introduction or the questions concerning yourself. Of the 25 questions asked of Mr. Lurie, only two were direct questions about you. The other questions regarding your dispute were asked with regards to the New Yorker article, and the reporting by its author. Furthermore, in total, the questions asked about the article and your dispute represents roughly 20% of the piece. The other 80% consists of questions restricted to Mr. Lurie’s career, mainly his musical one. Finally, and I believe this is a fitting way to conclude this letter; unlike the New Yorker and many if not all of the hobbyists masking as writers floating around cyberspace, at no time did I use your name in the piece, and, in fact, when Mr. Lurie referred to you by name, I informed him that I would not be using your name in the publication. My reasoning for this is clear. While it may require but a quick internet search to ascertain your identity, I felt this article was intended to discuss his career and his reaction to the article, not to discuss John Perry. Should the topic arise, I felt your name should not be included. I would hope that you recognize this in the spirit it was intended. Thank you for your time. I hope this satisfies your concern. -Larson Sutton
John Perry February 5 at 7:45am
Dear Mr. Sutton, I clearly made an error in judgment. I thought I was writing a letter from one human being to another. Based on your response, I find simply another writer making excuses for having written exactly what they wanted without any regard for the truth, and subsequent explanations inferring that they are protected from litigation.
In essence: “What I did was wrong…
...but not illegal!” If you truly feel that having had an assessment of my psychological state based on Tad Friend’s cowardly (in my opinion) piece of journalism is valid, don’t you think you should have cited that doctor? As you did not cite the doctor, and as that phrase did not appear in the New Yorker, you know, as well as I, that statement is your responsibility. I hadn’t realized I was a public figure (until you mentioned it) but after looking it up, I see, unfortunately, under the circumstances, I have become one.
I am well aware, public figures are (I think you meant to say) entitled to less protection under the law, just as I am well aware that Conde-Nast has a limitless budget and agreements with many of the top New York law firms to avoid prosecution on first amendment issues.
I’ll be advised soon enough if you do as well. Regardless, considering the tenor of your response I see that you have no intention of accepting responsibility (as a human being) that what you wrote, or the steps you took-rather did not take-to support your statements were, at best, unprofessional. As far as your suggesting that I return to private life, nothing would please me better.
Please tell me how such a thing is done.
Thank you for the advice. Also, you did not address my question about your query to John as to why he he did not, and has not, pursued legal action against me.
I submit, again, that you asked John a perfectly reasonable question, and was given a patently ridiculous answer.
I, myself, implored him very early on to have me arrested, and still hope he will, knowing full well he will not, as a revelation of the facts to an impartial jury would, produce a satisfactory end to this miserable charade for me, and overwhelming shame and embarrassment for John. You question to John remains, and your motivation for asking it are what I hope you will re-visit with John. That you are a “writer”, as you say, and not simply a “hobbyist”, I take it, is directed, in part, at either Stuyvesant Parker or Marc Campbell, or both. If you possessed a fraction of the courage that either of they have, you would ask John to provide you with some support (besides his word) for his claims, as both of they did. Any “writer” would. Just as any “writer” knows that information presented in an article written by another “writer” are an unacceptable substitute for research, weaker still as raw material to be presented to an expert who has been asked, and deferred to, to make a valuation as to the mental state of a subject.
What did your psychologist say about John, based on Tad’s article? Or didn’t you ask? If you can find the backbone to press John for evidence- beyond his word- to support any of his claims that I have even once threatened to kill him, or any quantitative evidence that would be necessary to support a claim of stalking, you will quickly find yourself no longer in his favor; an outcome you seemingly, at this point, will do anything to avoid at the expense of logic, journalistic integrity, and just plain fairness. You point out that 80% of your article is about John’s work.
Fine.
20% of an article implying a person is guilty of a crime of which they have not been convicted, is 20% too much. Don’t you agree? Finally, your explanation for the omission of my name is puzzling.
Not only did I not mention it, you tell me it requires only a quick internet search to ascertain my identity, and that your article is meant to discuss only John’s career.
You say those things, not to assure me that I would not be further slandered,- as I was in your piece and the NY-er, but, as though I was displeased not to have been mentioned, or as though it is of some benefit to me to be yet again be associated with the label “stalker”. Strange. Regards,
John Perry
Larson Sutton February 5 at 12:26pm Report
Mr. Perry- Here’s how this ends for me. I thank you for your time and your comments. When presenting to the public, one is subject to the both the praise and criticism of the public. I accept your criticism. However, if you cannot accept that identity theft, repeated phone calls, waiting outside one’s apartment, emailed threats, and the expressed suggestion of continuing such behavior, all of which you have admitted to in the New Yorker article, as the action of stalking, which by definition is : to pursue obsessively and to the point of harassment, then we have a difference of opinion and a semantic disagreement at best. Not everyone is going to agree that the actions to which you have admitted are acceptable behavior. For the record, your name never appeared once in my interview. Thank you for your time. -Larson Sutton
John Perry February 5 at 3:42pm
Mr. Sutton. Again, your last email speaks exactly to my point. You cite the New Yorker as if it accurate with regards to me, yet are willing to accept John Lurie’s statement, without question, that it is not with regards to him. “However, if you cannot accept that identity theft, repeated phone calls, waiting outside one’s apartment, emailed threats, and the expressed suggestion of continuing such behavior, all of which you have admitted to in the New Yorker article, as the action of stalking, which by definition is : to pursue obsessively and to the point of harassment, then we have a difference of opinion and a semantic disagreement at best.” Does it actually make sense to cite as proof that I did something, by pointing out it says in a magazine I did? Especially when you have access to the person who could (cannot actually) provide you, firsthand, proof if only you ask. Why do you also say: “For the record, your name never appeared once in my interview.” Did you not read the paragraph wherein I acknowledged you had not? Also does your responding to some of my questions and not others mean the unanswered ones never actually existed? Does that then also mean if I close my eyes nobody can see me? Yes, Mr Sutton…
...When presenting to the public, one is subject to the both the praise and criticism of the public. John Perry Reply: * * * Attach: * Photo * Video * Link

James February 5, 2011, 23:21:27

I have been trying to reach Perry’s emails. My brains hurts. I hope it is not contagious

James February 5, 2011, 23:23:01

I have been trying to reach Perry’s emails. My brain hurts. I hope it is not contagious

Allan February 6, 2011, 00:07:12

from the looks of this, i imagine Lurie was hoping Perry would get psychological help rather than sending his friend to jail

dean February 6, 2011, 10:42:14

I read this interview. Then I read the New yorker article. Then I read the comments. Then I read the blogs. All I can say is this whole thing is FUBAR. I don’t know crap about art. I’m more of a music guy, but if I could ask this guy johnperrynyc something, assuming it’s the real John Perry, it would be this. Did you call Lurie 30,40 times in a row like the New Yorker says? Did you call the cable company pretending to be him like the New Yorker says? Did you say you would do it again like the New Yorker says? Did you threaten this guy with emails like it says? I’d want a yes or no answer from him,like in the military, no bullsh.. excuses. Because if the New Yorker is lying, then you should sue the New Yorker. And it’s libel, not slander, dude. And for Lurie, I’d ask, if all this crap is really happening to you still, why haven’t you had this guy arrested? I’d have his ass in jail.

Marty Jourard May 1, 2011, 18:20:20

John Lurie wants to spend his time and energy creating art. The stalker apparently wants to spend his time and energy harassing someone who wants to create art.
The stalker strikes me as a complete asshole, period.

zara May 16, 2012, 04:43:42

The New Yorker should be shut down this is an outrage. this happens so often people dont even know and it can go on for yrs . i’m happy he went to a detective there are feds that know about these groups of stalkers and they do this more than once. even just this one guy i am sure he has done this to others. John is telling the truth, he is right its easier for ppl to think u are crazy than realize there are ppl out there like that. he is talented , so funny and smart.. i’d love to own some fo his art.

Jeff December 6, 2013, 21:54:31

This was a great read. Lots of info on John’s musical career. Check out a new interview with him on Quotes Yes, where he reveals that another Marvin Pontiac record is possible. Read it here: http://quotesyes.com/2013/12/02/john-lurie-interview/

Greg Guro February 2, 2011, 19:08:16

A very thorough and succinct article. John Lurie is a fantastic artist and a treasure. I’d be one of the first to buy an autobiography. I know he can do it!

Tim February 2, 2011, 22:28:02

great interview. great artist.

Isabel February 3, 2011, 02:38:34

I knew it! I knew something was wrong with the New Yorker article. Shame on you New Yorker for making fun of such a heartbreaking and horrible story.