Features

Published: 2012/07/27
by Alex Baker

Deconstructing Dubstep

Skrillex at Camp Bisco – photo by Dave Vann

Two days after Bluesfest and it’s finally catching up with me – two weeks of partying, drinking and inhaling dust has rendered my throat raw and my nose stuffed, but it was definitely worth it. The festival experience always is.

While it didn’t exactly end on the highest note for me, with Metric, the Trews and Wolfgang Gartner headlining their Sunday stages, Saturday night’s Full Flex Express dub-train blew me away. At the risk of alienating many of my friends and fellow jam-heads, I will say this: Skrillex blew my mind. It was an absolutely mind-obliterating, lobotomizing spectacle of light and sound and chaos and cacophony, combined with the technological wonder of that giant lizard-space-ship thing that moves and oscillates and helps focus the sheer soul pounding intensity of that show.

After seeing many of the DJs and dubsteppers brought into this year’s “Electro-fied” Bluesfest, including Deltron 3030, Wolfgang Gartner, A-Trak and Pretty Lights (part of the Full Flex Express Tour also), it was Skrillex that finally made me understand what that scene is all about. I’ve seen isolated shows before, including some of the guys at Bluesfest – Tiesto and MSTRKRFT, Bassnectar and various other DJs at fests – but experiencing the scene night in and night out at the Electro Stage gave me a new appreciation.

There is something visceral and instinctive about dubstep, in a sense that it communicates on a deeper level than lyrics and chords and verses. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t go so far as to call it “music,” and i should preface these remarks by saying im not a big fan of DJs who just remix other songs and spin verses from them with “squeeka-squeeka” and robot fart noises on top. However, the brilliance of a guy like Skrillex is in the sheer spectacle and raw energy created. I remember being similarly captivated by Tool when I saw them at Bonnaroo, that feeling of being totally entranced and unable to look away from it all.

To me, seeing a band like moe. or Phish and hearing the spontaneous creation, the artistic talent, letting the music wash over me and open my soul to beautiful harmony and organic oneness, is a different experience from what dubstep does – it takes your body and shakes and rattles and vibrates in a way I’ve never experienced before, and I never danced like that before, either. It wasn’t the happiness I feel at jam-band shows, it was a primal expression of animal instinct, like a bird flying above land that is heaving in an earthquake.

There is something else about this thing called dubstep, though – it seems to be truly different from anything else out there at the moment. Of course, all music is an evolution and a continuation of trends, but once in a generation there is a great change, a genesis, like the rock-and-roll of the ‘50s that grew out of the big band era but was so different, so completely transformational, that it created a movement. I see the same thing in the techno/dubstep movement of the past few years. This isn’t rap, it isn’t hip-hop, it’s definitely not rock or even “club” or “house” music. It takes elements of Europe’s house and club music scene, elements of the beats and bass and synth sounds from hip-hop, rock and techno, and adds a primal, instinctual, stop-at-nothing-and-never-let-up hard-core edginess.

In his Republic, Plato says that “the introduction of a new kind of music must be shunned as imperilling the whole state; since styles of music are never disturbed without affecting the most important political institutions.” I have always liked idea this because I see the truth in it – in the ‘60s, music was the catalyst for the entire protest movement and I see the same sort of change and reaction in dubstep. It seems new and unprecedented. This is certainly a greater evolution than my or the previous generation has seen, for example with punk or grunge, or the poppy alternative drivel of the late ‘90s and early 2000s. This young, emerging generation is embracing dubstep, with or without the party drugs and all-nighters than seem bound up with it, as well.

So, I take back all the bad things I said about Skrillex, at the very least. I’m not totally converted. I’m not rushing out to clubs and DJ shows. I’m certainly not listening to any of that stuff on my iPod or car radio. But in that festival environment, it works for me. I suppose I learned to keep my musical mind even more open than it already is. And that I can, in fact, do the robot.

Comments

Edward Vincent August 9, 2012, 02:25:47

Alex, i think you said it all when you wrote “All music becomes bastardized and caters to the lowest common denominator eventually.”.
And that is what is most popular these days. Go figure. Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil.

jonapi July 30, 2012, 04:07:23

Glad you enjoyed this “spectacle”, but Skrillex and the like have NOTHING to do with dubstep; he and his ilk are just another lame example of mainstream retardation of an original, genuine artistic movement.
Your description of dubstep in paragraph six is also way wide of the mark and incredibly ill-informed. Like i say, it’s great that you enjoyed it, and hopefully, it will inspire you to delve into some proper examples. I know these comments sound a bit killjoy but this is just another case of misinformation that is peddled in abundance in the US & UK mainstream press which just perpetuates the kind of fact-less bullshit that has ruined music and it’s various strands and scenes since time immemorial.
All it means is that true innovators, real artists that produce music from the heart are marginalised, chewed up and spat out; sucked on by witless leeches while the core community is left invaded and raped by trendy, gutless wonders with waistbands around their balls.
It’s enough to make one puke bullets. For artists who originated, formed and moulded this dubstep thingy, and those who are stretching it’s potential into ever more twisted and inspired shapes and strands, check out Coki, Digital Mystikz, Loefah, Mala, Benga, Skream, Shackleton, Appleblim, Headhunter, Peverelist and more. Labels such as Tempa, DMZ, Skull Disco, Mordant Music, Perlon and others. Enjoy Skrillex, but DON’T call it dubstep. Call it middle class, white boy delusion; a wannabe who exudes deflated insincerity with every glance who knocks the soul out of music with all the brutal efficiency of a carpet-beater.
He’s the kind of guy that makes you want to tattoo an indelible ‘kick me’ sign on his back, so that one day, years from now, a disaffected orderly in an old folks’ home will spot it during bath time and plant their foot so far up his arse it’ll get jammed between his vertebrae.

Trey Anastasio July 30, 2012, 15:42:32

Any loser can hit play….That skrillex guy sucks like your writing

Dub STOP July 31, 2012, 10:01:58

The sooner this “music” becomes boring to everyone, the better.

Mimosa July 31, 2012, 15:16:44

Well done, Alex. I agree it is painful to admit that Skrillex can and does move you, but the bigger pain is people who aren’t open to new things and won’t admit when they secretly like something. The dubaphobes are usually the dubbest of the bunch, listening to it in their car and then bashing is around their show friends. Beat it, nerds.

Dub STOP July 31, 2012, 17:22:12

“Dubaphobe” implies that we are afraid of it. We are not. It just sounds like ass usually is all. Litterally. The bass can be quite flatulent. I don’t dislike electronic music, but I HATE dubstep. I gave it an honest to God, real effort to try to get into it, but I couldn’t. Live, you can’t get down to it. It doesn’t have a happy sound. It doesn’t make me feel good to listen to it. I would equate the effect it has on me to be like listening to death metal: it’s simply irritating and not pleasurable. If you like it, good for you but I honestly cannot understand why. And I’ve tried. God I’ve tried.

Alex B August 1, 2012, 15:17:18

First off, thanks for the great response to this article and to all of you for reading it. Trey – if that’s really you, i cant believe you’re reading my writing! but i want you to like me! so thats a conundrum… jonapi – i appreciate the suggestions of “real” dub-step artists to listen. im always trying to broaden my horizons and, as ive told my musical friends on facebook, there’s nothing i love more than music homework! ill have to let you know what i think of this so-called “real” stuff. honestly though, while your rant and insults are exceedingly well written and thoughtful (i especially enjoyed this part: “...tattoo an indelible ‘kick me’ sign on his back, so that one day, years from now, a disaffected orderly in an old folks’ home will spot it during bath time and plant their foot so far up his arse it’ll get jammed between his vertebrae.”) it sounds to me like a typical indie music fan rant who instantly pulls a 180 and becomes a hater of anything that gains even a modicum of popularity. this may just be my opinion, but if you really want to start a dialogue and change people’s opinions you need to engage, not insult. thanks for reading though, tell your friends!

B August 1, 2012, 15:22:28

I agree with you, Dub STOP, to a certain extent. Dub-step is definitely not “happy” music, and in dance clubs and bars i do find that music oppressive. in fact, i usually stop going to places because of that vibe you feel, that angry, oppressive, physical, repetitive, amped up energy that is no way happy. but, yknow what? not all music IS happy. thats ok. and i know, when i go see skrillex or bassnectar or a drum-and-bass show in a little hole in the wall in Amsterdam, that its not gonna be like seeing phish or moe, not all sunshine and rainbows and soaring doves. but thats the beauty of the live show experience and music in general, its ability to effect our emotions, to make us feel and think and experience things beyond our own capabilities. i say, embrace it, rather than shut down those who do. i appreciate your attempts to get into dub step and the obviously open musical mind you possess – i just happened to be at the right place at the right time and in the right frame of mind to enjoy a skrillex show, and ill probably never forget it. i hope you all have a similar experience one day.

Dob STOP August 1, 2012, 23:30:29

I think it’s awesome that the author decided to respond to the comments, and in a very classy way. I don’t necessarily expect music to be happy. What dubstep often lacks, that I just cannot tolerate, is any semblance of a melody. Sometimes it doesn’t even have a discernible beat. I don’t expect all the music I hear to be like Phish or the Dead or SCI, but if it doesn’t have the basic structure of music, I don’t understand the point. It becomes a constant barrage of sound that is somewhat coherent but quickly grows old. Imagine if when you were going to Dead shows, all they played was Space from start to end. (new paragraph)Before I knew what dubstep was I was hearing it here and there at festivals, and my reaction after about 5 minutes was invariably, “OK can they do something different now? I’m bored. Now I’m annoyed. Now I’m leaving…” I used to see Bassnectar when he was still DJ Lorin and I much preferred his pre-dubstep electronic music to the constant wompfest he puts on now. What I don’t like about the current dubstep thing is that most of the people who’ve gotten into it seem to have become one-trick ponies. It’s all they do. And the people that listen to it, it seems like it becomes all they want to listen to, which is annoying in its own way. Especially in this day and age where people roll into a festival 60 people deep with all kinds of PA equipment and make sure everyone within a 3-mile radius can hear it. For the whole 4 days. Without ceasing. I’ve noticed that the more dubstep-type acts (don’t butcher me about all the sub-genres, it would be impossible for me to care any less about such minutia) there are at a festival, the less I hear drum circles. Don’t know if that’s really a good thing, and I could be way off base in that observation anyhow. (paragraph) I definitely see that I don’t understand it, because it’s popular as hell, and a lot of people seem to think it’s the next greatest thing. I try not to diss people who enjoy it (sometimes unsuccesssfully), because I’m sure there is some eclectic stuff that I listen to that definitely isn’t going to be enjoyed by most people. But I hate it. HATE IT. Like I said, I dislike death metal with about an equal intensity, and both things, as soon as I hear them, I want to be far away as possible from there. So anyway, good article, and I’m stoked that you “get it.” I just haven’t been able to, and after many attempts, I just gave up and faced the idea that I would never enjoy it.

jonapi August 2, 2012, 03:52:22

Hey Alex B, good to hear from you.
Well i’m certainly not out to change people’s opinions. It’s up to each individual to seek out and discover information for themselves. Unfortunately, it seems that most that have either lost that ability or simply lack the inclination to do so. A lifetime of waiting to be spoonfed misinformation on an epic scale.
You do yourself, and more importantly, the readers on Jambands, a huge disservice by perpetuating lazy journalistic cliches – thereby passing it on for others to twist and mangle, and spread like the proverbial plague.
(I mean, for the time you spent grasping at adjectives at what “dubstep” apparently isn’t, you failed to mention just exactly where it came from – Dub and 2-Step/Garage. The clue is the title for Christ’s sake!!!).
This isn’t meant as an exercise is solipsistic pedantry – it effects not only other people’s views and musical outlook, but also has a direct impact on the artists themselves.
Judging by the kind of people you see at a Skrillex show, (or judging by the fact that they’re AT a Skrillex show), these fairweather oxygen thieves are likely to bandy around the dubstep phrase ad infinitum, suck the life from it, and then move on to the next stylistic trend. And, what’s particularly nauseating, is that the artists who actually have self-respect and are genuinely creative are sucked into their jet stream, tainted with the same brush and hung out to dry.
It’s happened with every musical community you can think of. One example, the Psy Trance movement in the mid-nineties – a beautiful, peaceful happy scene, where certain DJ’s were incredibly creative; where the crowd looked after each other, knew each other’s names; artwork and decoration at the clubs were done by amazing psychedelic visionary artists and where the MUSIC and the people were absolutely paramount towards a greater good and high.
Then the idiots come in. The drugs get harder, no one cares about the music or the community. It’s all about the lame ass “paaarrrty”. People stealing belongings, the wanker sell-out DJ’s playing anything that makes them money and it all disintegrates. Killing it stone dead as these vacuous, mentally haunted insects stagger on to the next hip trip and fuck them over in time honoured fashion like walking bleach. “Oh wait, hang on, i’m getting the word…oh what is it, on the tip of my tongue…ha-ha- HAIGHT ASHBURY! That’s it!!!”.
Same as it ever was. There is, i grant you, a certain amount of fresh perspective gained when individuals look at something with a certain amount of naivety; an peculiar innocence as it were. But take the time to investigate something first before making generalisations. It only leads to wafts of hot air.
I’m sure if someone were to glance through a Kerouac book, and then take a stab at his career by saying “he had something to do with the Beats or Beat music or played the Baet Club or something; probably knew Burroughs, most likely died of heroin or something, Garcia liked him so he knew him right? best friends apparently…..used to travel with him and shit; he wrote the words to “Cassidy” didn’t he” it would send others down the wrong path, possibly turning off a lot people who would otherwise be attracted to his work. Sadly, this kind of reportage is all too frequent in music journalism, with people being introduced to “authentic” genres and artists which immediately put them off for life. Imagine U2 as being held up as a quintessential example of Rock Music (who deserve to be sealed inside a packing crate full of jackals and razor wire and rolled down a hill). Or Limp Bizkit as the real Rap deal (imbecilic, testosterone gibbonoids, ripe for lethal injection. They’d have more dignity if they dropped to their knees and fellated their stupid audience, clapping their hands like circus seals and playing the kazoo with their arseholes). Or David Guetta as proper Techno (a blank-eyed glove puppet with half the charisma of a discarded ping-pong bat rotating slowly in a pool of pig-trough rainwater). Or Mumford & Sons as the original Bluegrass innovators (bland, walking vacuums with all the fun of a slow-motion hanging. If they had a smell it would be lavendar – the antiseptic, chemical lavendar that wafts from cheap plastic air-fresheners and vaguely reminds you of hospital and death). Or Billy Ray Cyrus as the ultimate in Country (guilty of arguably the most evil 3:23 in music history. Coincidentally, this is also the precise amount of time it takes to grind your own teeth to powder in an impotent rage). Or Beyonce as the First Lady of Soul (inane histrionic gurning. Her live show a bit like watching a programme in which young children queue up to be punched in the face by Father Christmas. Absolutely riveting for all the wrong reasons. After ten minutes of her concert, you pray for an unscheduled arrival of a misanthropic gatecrasher armed with a hammer and a deranged sense of justice). Or Lady Gaga as the Queen of Pop (effortlessly mind-numbing shopwindow-dummy froth, as creativity flounders and the world’s joy supply trickles further down the drain).
All of them about as easy on the eye as a handful of shattered monkey-nut husks unexpectedly flung in your face by a passing drunk. All representing untertainment at it’s finest and all welcomed by anyone who regularly sits in front of the stereo with a loaded shotgun in their mouth, trying to pluck up the courage. And no, i’m not that “typical indie music fan” thank you, perish the goddamn thought!! ha ha! If the artist is coming from the heart and producing inspirational music i couldn’t give a fuckity if they’re hugely popular or not. Look at Björk, Nick Cave, Aphex Twin, Richie Hawtin et al. And yes, B & Dub/Dob Stop, you’re right; it’s not party music necessarily. It was spawned amongst the concrete and piss in my dear ol’ South London around ten years ago. Smoke, darkness, grime, paranoia, but wonderfully innovative and idiosyncratic.
Some people prefer the missionary position i suppose. ALL of the live shows of ANY soul-less, trendy musical parasite would be massively improved by the insertion of a protracted sequence in which each participant is glued to a deckchair and kicked down a stairwell. Forty-seven million times.

jo-nah-pee August 2, 2012, 05:55:09

But it IS splendid to see you’re an enthusiastic, inquisitive fellow, Alex. Good lad!

Dude August 2, 2012, 19:05:31

Jonapi, take a breath. The guy just wanted to write a light article about a jamband fan enjoying himself at a dubstep show, sorry, lamestream dj show. He wasn’t writing an in-depth New Yorker style piece on the subject. You obviously have a lot of pent up anger on the subject. I mean great fucking rant. A+ but it’s a tad misplaced for these comments YOU PRETENTIOUS DOUCHE

Apocalypse Yo! August 3, 2012, 01:48:07

yeah, like, toootally, like, right on, like, wow. awwwwsum, bro! should my last three words be in capitals? advise….

Dude August 3, 2012, 02:13:57

Jonapi, i take it back. You are completely correct. The guy just wanted to write a light article about a jamband fan enjoying himself at a dumbstep show, sorry, sodastream od show. He definitely wasn’t wringing an in-depth Nude Porker style piss on the subject. You obviously have a sense of humour on the subject. I mean, great fucking rant. A+ but it’s likely to go over the head of some who comment YOU PRETTY DUDE.

That kid August 4, 2012, 03:03:00

i see conversations like this all over the web, and they truly make me sad. first, saying skrillex isnt real dubstep is arrogent, saying he makes brostep or complextro is absolutely meaningless. while dubstep has evolved from the days of songs like afterglow by phealeh, thats what its all about, its an evolving genre just like any other type of music. in addition, i see no point in coming to an article like this and saying how much you can not stand dubstep. every one has an opinion and i respect that, but spreading such negative opinions just seems pointless, but thats besides the point. dubstep is simply a new kind of music, and it has sounds that can be very abrassive, but hey, without trying new things there is never going to be any innovation. i feel that setting also tends to influence peoples takes on sounds. i have talked to dead heads who have said the classic ‘dubstep sounds like a blender’ and replied ‘but if jerry had done it then it would have been so creative and cool’. point being music is all about exploring sounds, like mickey hart. while he has had concerts where people have literally left the theatre physically sick from some sounds, he has also made truly splendid music. just because some sounds are not your cup of tea does not make them any less musical. here is a great way of putting it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_hy33-1Yw I am a huge dubstep fan, and i like to think that my musical taste is wide and ever evolving, and i think everyone should keep an open ear, and if you don’t like something simply move on. i hope this makes sense

Dub STOP August 4, 2012, 21:47:06

So I disagree about negative comments if they’re written respectfully. I also need to offer an apology, as what I thought was dubstep is apparently one of the subgenres that’s becoming popular, where they don’t have a melody, don’t have a beat, and instead do this warping-oscillating bass thing for hours on end until people’s brains explode in a fashion similar to the Martians in “Mars Attacks.” I went and looked at one of the artists named in the previous comment, and it isn’t bad. I can’t see myself making a huge effort to go to see it live, but it wasn’t bad. My ignorance comes from the times I’ve been at a festival and heard the oscilating womp womp womp and asked, “what kind of music is this?” The answer was dubstep and I thought I hated it ever since. Well, I still do hate that type.

that kid August 4, 2012, 22:25:12

dubstep is actually very beat oriented, producers like rusko start with a beat before anything else. i myself like to start with a beat when making dubstep. and i agree that well frased negative comments are good, but there are very few negative comments that are not very rude

dub August 4, 2012, 22:46:55

Cool mind putting up some other artists so I can check out the good stuff?

That kid August 4, 2012, 23:23:40

for more mellow stuff i would suggest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftx14xQ1Vdo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aNmqk7ixx0
for cool sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN8OvFfDh3M
and i think that this is a mellow skrillex dubstep track:
thats some good not so crazy stuff, crazy stuff would be like datsik, excision, doctor p, tomba, adventure club, knife party, eptic, doge & fuski, and kill the noise

Edward Vincent August 6, 2012, 03:17:04

Ha ha ha ha ha….bring on the CHEESE!!!!
Steer well clear of all that, whatever you do!! Goodness gracious…Absolutely horrendous!
i think jonapi might’ve been a bit too caustic for some of the more timid readers here, but he had it right about the music/artists.
That kid, you had some good points (especially the Jerry/Mickey bit), the setting does and should make a difference too.
Your point about “evolving” though is dubious. To be honest, i think you’re coming from a a totally different perspective when it comes to this genre. You mentioned that the music has “evolved” from that Phaeleh track (thank Christ for that), like that was some kind of pinnacle!! All of two years ago too ha ha! Dubstep isn’t a new style at all; it’s early roots can be traced as far back as 1998.
Maybe you have a different impression there in the US. Your choices seem to be in a very commercial style. (A bit like coming to Drum n Bass via Pendulum or something horrific like that). That’s fine of course, we’re born when we’re born after all. But i’m sure anyone can understand that a kid today raving about Slipknot or Marilyn Manson as inventing extreme metal or something has to accept getting corrected. Personally, if you’re not 15 years old, it’s important to do a bit of homework and investigate all avenues of various music. At least take an interest. It’s perplexing to see someone like jonapi get slapped down as being pretentious or pedantic, but i’m afraid he’s right. The last port of call for others who don’t know any better or are a trifle ignorant, usually resort to the “pretension” adjective to make themselves feel better. The usual knee-jerk reaction. (Although, maybe he could of worded his shit a little less antagonistically! Probably English humour getting lost over the pond again).
And evolving is most definitely to be encouraged. But let’s do it intelligently, shall we? All i hear from the suggestions you gave That kid, is pop music, basically. That’s fine i guess. Whatever floats the old boat. But as Dub Stop probably found, that shit he was listening too had nothing to do with real stuff. Whether he still chooses to avoid it is entirely up to him. But for anyone who comes to this article in future, ignore that Idea Channel link; what a total dick. If that’s where people get their music education from, no wonder the music industry deserves to die a slow, painful death. If you have the time, check out these –
Headhunter – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJeBzm3eknE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpchPr2mQc
Shackleton – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi5fVlVRous
Benga – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKg5IfQ9IaU
Skream – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-neJ_iuLkQI
Loefah – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmsS20MkFk
Digital Mystikz – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgfyH3t7at4
Mala – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3hNrxNgDJM
Coki – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IbfFYD2WdY
Peverelist – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBEcxf5Orm8
Mordant Music – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuDgYyZ3iq0
Vindicatrix – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaFP0I-ciG0
Ekoplekz – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNsrH_p6smI See what you think. But please crank it through some good speakers. You need the sub woofers to do it justice!

Alex B August 8, 2012, 13:49:48

Just want to thank you all for the comments and opinions, and weigh in once again. First of all, jonapi, you should be a writer. you are hilarious. love it. The way i see it, music is an evolution of tastes that can only exist in the moment. It is a testament to bands like the Rolling Stones and U2, for example, that have maintained their sound for years and decades so that they can be called “timeless” and form the foundation that influences everyone else. Like Miles Davis, or the Temptations. It may not sound like today’s music, but we still recognize its worth. Everything else evolves and changes and represents it’s time. My Generation is just as apt for kids today as it was for kids in 1969, but no one would create that song today because its not the style. Just because i found dubstep through socalled “newer” DJs like Tiesto, Bassnectar and Skrillex doesnt meant thats “wrong” or somehow incorrect. There’s no requirement that if i want to like the Black Keys, I have to go back and listen all the blues and rock influences that came before. This is such a typical fan complaint in the music industry, wanting to put down the musical tastes of others because of the perception they’re jumping on a bandwagon or havent been there since the diehard days. Even in the circles i run in this is the case, where the old school Phish heads often disdain the ones who have only seen the Phish 3.0 tours and are sellouts because they werent at the shows in 1994, even though i was nine years old then… And so on. This isnt just a dubstep phenomenon. All music becomes bastardized and caters to the lowest common denominator eventually. What more can you expect from a genre that literally just requires a computer program to create? Dubstep is a musical expression for the internet age, where even a jerk like me can download a program and create it on my laptop, with or without any actual skill like these real artists have (i dont want to get into another debate about whether they’re real artists or not – i would consider them more artists than musicians, anyway). So of course it was destined to move away from the pioneers who invented it. There are definitely some very exciting artists out there who are mixing and sampling and creating new sounds, guys like SBTRKT and LIttle Dragons, or Zeds Dead, all of whom i got to see last weekend at Osheaga in Montreal, and who impressed me a lot. rather than focusing on how much whats out there sucks, lets try and propel this type of art that is really and truly NEW (like i said in my article) to the next level. Like the south park episode explained, to some people this dubstep thing will always sound like shit. There’s nothing we can do about that. But i discovered it recently and im doing my best to enjoy it and experience the different artists out there. Anyway, i just wanted to comment on the recent threads here and keep the discussion going. I appreciate all of you reading my work and i definitely appreciate the artist suggestions, i love musical homework! Thanks again, all.

Cristyl August 9, 2012, 12:41:24

If you guys WANT FULL FREE ALBUMS check this guys channel out IFYOUDIDNTKNOWIT he rellay teaches you how to get FULL FREE ALBUMS that work on iTunes Thumbs this up so everyone can see this!!!! link to his video /watch?v=wGoIx1rdkN4

Selena August 9, 2012, 16:57:01

I got a problem, I just made a vid and I used musecjackir for the background music of my vid but if I want to upload it, it says something like dont know music sry for my englisch but please try to help me

paul August 16, 2012, 05:08:47

I love skrillex, but I don’t think it’s really dub step. I think dub step really doesn’t exist anymore above ground, but in its heyday, seems to have been a very thoughtful and soul-ful music. Skrillex reflects the harshness of our times and the incessant media attacks on our souls, it seems to me. I can see how that developed out of dubstep. But it’s not dub step if you ask me.