Features

Published: 2012/08/17
by Mike Greenhaus

How Justin Bieber Found His Way to Phish: A Conversation with Dan Kanter

What shows have you seen this summer?
I went to a bunch on the first leg, and I saw two great shows at Alpine—I’d never been there before. I’m gonna go Saturday and Sunday to San Fran, and then down in Denver. Not enough!

I started seeing them during the 2.0 years. I sort of fell into them in a weird time. I was up in Canada, so really when my parents would let me go and I had the means to follow them, they weren’t playing [up here]. I saw a whole bunch of Trey’s solo shows, but I was sort of in a weird position. It was really 3.0 where I think I’ve seen 50 or 60 shows. I’m just making up for lost time!

I’m also a big fan of The Allman Brothers, Skynyrd and bands like that. My favorite guitar player growing up—and still to this day—is Zakk Wylde from Ozzy’s band. And the deeper I got into Zakk, the more I learned he was a Southern rock guitar player. He incorporates all those chicken pickin’ country licks into heavy metal and so—through him—I got heavy into Allman Brothers and Skynyrd. I’m a huge fan of Derek and Susan [Tedeschi]. He is unbelievable and his playing is next level. It’s so cool that they’re touring together with an incredible band behind them. Their band is fantastic. I’ve been to a bunch of other [jamband] shows, too like Umphrey’s [McGee]. My friend Jeff Kravitz [a noted celebrity photographer with Phish roots] turned me on to a lot of these bands. We’ve become good friends—my wife and I are close friends with his family, and he’s been pushing all these great bands on me. I just heard the [Alabama] Shakes yesterday for the first time ever because of him. I think that’s a band where I’m definitely going to get deep into their music. Also, I used to go to a lot of Béla [Fleck] shows. I love the Flecktones.

But Phish is different. They are like the Beatles, Metallica or Dylan for me. Listening to them invokes so many memories, not just jams. It’s a life-changing, memorable experience.

You mentioned that you’ve had this dual background in rock music and musical theater. Another person who actually has roots in both those worlds is Trey Anastasio. I was wondering if you’ve had a chance to talk to him about his own background in theater and how you personally see Trey’s musical theater background fitting into his work with Phish?

That’s very interesting. We’ve never talked about it. I actually haven’t hung out with Trey that much. It’s really Mike [Gordon] that I’m really hanging out with the most. We met somehow a while ago and became friends with him and his wife. They are wonderful people. It’s funny: Phish wasn’t even a band that I actually wanted to meet. I just wanted to go to a show and be in the audience and enjoy.

I’ve never spoken to Trey about it, and I’ve never thought about it in that way, either. But I definitely see it in a lot of their music. People call them a chameleon band, and I think I love that about musicals, too—there’s so many different types of styles within one musical. [At a Phish show] the music really takes you on a trip like that. There’s not just slow songs and fast songs, but dark songs and glorious songs and little musical interludes that are almost chasing…especially with the lights. Their music is very visual and cinematic.

It is obviously the same thing most fans say but I still see the lights when I’m not there. I feel it all encompassing me when I’m just driving in my car.

You finally got Justin to a Phish show this week. Have you been trying to get him to go to a show for a while, and if so, did you try to get him there by playing him any specific live tapes or albums? Or was it just something he wanted to check out as a fan of pop culture and music?

Well, Justin obviously knew about me and my wife’s obsession with Phish since we met. He’s very fascinated. I would show him videos of things, and we would just talk about it and he was very fascinated by the whole world and how they’re so big that they can sell out the Garden four nights in a row, but they don’t really have videos or radio play. Well, they have one video [“Down with Disease”] but it’s just such an opposite world than what he lives in that he’s quite fascinated by it. And also, Justin is quite spontaneous for someone that people sort of expect is a typical pop star.

He and I do all these acoustic shows where we have no setlist, and he’ll just call songs out like Phish does. We played a really great show last year at Massey Hall in Toronto, just the two of us, and I wasn’t sure if we were going to play even thirty minutes. We ended up playing two hours acoustic, calling out every song he had. One song he called out onstage and I said, “I don’t know how to play that,” so he sang it a cappella. He’s quite funny like that.

And also, with Justin, under all this phenomena, he’s first and foremost a musician. He’s a fantastic guitar player, drummer and piano [player], and he’s only getting better. And I think he really appreciated the musicality of Phish. I’ve been begging him to come to a show with us for a long time and this one was perfect. It was really unbelievable. It was totally what I would have expected.

I think the Phish audience was very respectful to him while he was in the audience. We had it all set up with security so he could go right to the front of the house, but we all just hung out right in the middle of the floor where we were all dancing—and not one person came up and really bothered him. It was actually the first time I’ve ever been with him in public where not one person bothered him—it didn’t turn into a frenzy of people taking pictures. It was really exciting. We were all dancing and my wife taught him how to clap his hands during “Stash.” I brought a thousand glowsticks with me and had a spot so they could throw them out and pass them out. It was amazing. It [will] definitely not [be] his last show. He would have stayed all night, but Selena [Gomez] had to be on set at 1 a.m. to film a movie, so they had to leave before the encore.

It was definitely worlds colliding. Two worlds I love so much and mean so much to me. There were so many funny moments throughout the night. When we walked to the band room so Justin could meet some of the guys, as we were walking in there was this monster list of 500 songs—the band’s song list—and Justin says, “Is this the list of songs that they have to know?”

Another great moment is when we walked into the band room, and Fishman was playing drums with headphones on probably fifteen minutes before the show, and he stood right up and said, “Hey guys, hey Justin. It’s really nice to meet you. Sorry to be anti-social, but I have to do my homework before the show starts,” and he sat back down again and started playing.

Obviously, it’s been very exciting for me. There have been a couple of nasty, stupid comments, but pretty much everyone has been so positive. I’ve just been following all the [tweets] and all the reviews all day about him being there. Everyone’s been talking a lot about [Chris] Kuroda, and that’s another thing: for him to see Chris was amazing. Justin’s very hands-on, and we both want everyone to dance and every musical moment to have a musical accent and a lighting accent with it. I’ve been bugging our production manager, this guy named Tom Marzullo, who’s done tours like [Prince’s] Purple Rain, to get him to do lights for Justin.

I’ve been bugging him awhile now about getting—or at least speaking to—Kuroda, and when the ball started rolling and they were able to work it out that he could work on our tour but also not miss any Phish shows, it was absolutely a no-brainer. Justin had taken my word for it, but at Long Beach, he was completely blown away by Kuroda. He’s not going to miss any Phish shows so it has been the best of both worlds, for sure.

It is funny, in certain ways I still feel like Phish is the biggest secret in the world. It’s amazing. Well, maybe it is not a secret now that Justin blasted them to all of his Twitter followers [Laughter.]

It is funny that Phish are one of the few bands where it is a news story whenever a celebrity comes to one of their shows. I am sure tons of pop stars and movie stars go to every Madonna show and they sort of blend into the scene.

And like I said, everything I’ve read has been so positive. Everyone there backstage and in the audience was so nice and welcoming and gave them their space. Not one person took a picture in the audience. Like I said, I’ve never seen that before, and I anticipated it and knew it would be fine. I think he really enjoyed not just the music and the whole scene, but he knows now that he could show up in a general admission floor and sort of hang low and have the best time ever.

« Previous 1 2 Next »

Comments

camilla August 18, 2012, 00:28:10

this was very nice!!

TheVic August 18, 2012, 00:39:58

Great article…a Phish show is like living in NYC...people either don’t care you’re famous or it’s old hat. That’s said, I would have taken a pic with him!

John August 18, 2012, 01:46:27

The ultimate indication that it is “all good”. Bob Weir’s daughter is a fan of Justin Bieber and he takes her to the concerts. This is like a melding of about 6 generations/eras of music. Can’t wait until Bieber does a Sugar Magnolia encore. Maybe a Sugaree????

James August 18, 2012, 01:59:40

This is a great article. Very interesting. I am a dedicated deadhead and phan but I give total props to both Dan and Justin. I also found it nice that Dan mentioned how welcoming and respectful Phish fans were to Justin and Selena and how positive the reaction has been. It made me proud to be a member of this scene. I was first impressed with Justin from his documentary Never Say Never (if you haven’t seen it, you should!). I just might have to go see this kid in action on tour… especially now that Kuroda’s doing lights! Thanks for this article. A cool insight into two opposite but yet similar worlds of music. Amazing.

Kevin August 18, 2012, 02:07:39

Respect. “And also, with Justin, under all this phenomena, he’s first and foremost a musician. He’s a fantastic guitar player, drummer and piano [player], and he’s only getting better. And I think he really appreciated the musicality of Phish.” Step into the Bieber.

Lisa in Vermont August 18, 2012, 02:36:07

Great interview thanks for posting. Definitely two worlds colliding, in a good way. Never heard of Dan Kanter before and will not forget the name.

Hottie August 18, 2012, 07:50:40

What a great interview! Thanks for postin and make sure to go on my website, Judomanlovesdankanter.ca Also thanks for pooping on your head! Bye by the way you are so ugly and I hate Dan kanter. He s stupid and he sucks

Dorra August 18, 2012, 08:18:16

Awesome!!! Gotta luv JB!! I just read some cool facts about him I didn’t even know and I’m a fan Smh I got the link for you guys If u wanna check it out
Http://Clnk.me/1wegk

Shaun August 18, 2012, 09:40:38

Great read. As a teacher of middle school kids I learn things here and there about Justin and am fascinated about how he made it. Hes not someone a record label molded into a hit song selling machine. Bieber works his ass off, studies music, and keeps his ear to the ground. Doesn’t surprise me a bit that he digs the scene. I see him growing up and being a musician that you will be listening to in the same way you dig how great Timberlake is. Much respect.

Parker August 18, 2012, 10:46:57

Great to read an informative article. Nice job.

shane August 18, 2012, 11:08:29

Awesome Dan! Now you need to take him to see Umphrey’s.

moe August 18, 2012, 12:39:09

Did he meet the wookies? lmao

George August 18, 2012, 16:58:55

It looked like Bieber might have shared hair care secrets or his stylist with Phish before San Fran last night. Did anyone else notice how silky smooth Trey and Gordo’s hair looked last night? They were pretty!

Robbie August 18, 2012, 18:23:20

@ moe, that is funnier than the article!

walstib August 19, 2012, 10:37:50

the wookies…lmao!!!!!

Jdog August 19, 2012, 15:01:46

...hair care products…Beiber….Weir…Anastasio…. These are not the droids you are looking for.

Drubage August 19, 2012, 20:11:26

I know why he put Kuroda on lights, so Bieber tour would never overlap Phish tour ever. Freaking genius.

jams August 20, 2012, 14:11:52

Great article!

Chris August 20, 2012, 17:33:03

Agree with Shane, now it’s time that Bieber is introduced to Umphrey’s…

timmy August 21, 2012, 10:07:38

Justin should just go on hiatus for the next two years, and go on tour. Would do him some good to get out of the Hollywood machine for awhile. He should just let it grow, and start going all the way wook.

makersandh2o August 21, 2012, 14:48:15

You people are all crazy….except Jdog.

Chris August 23, 2012, 11:36:53

You have all lost your mind. This is jambadns.com, correct? Justin Bieber and his music are the epitome of everything that is wrong with music. He’s the perfect example of how music is now product where as it used to be art. It’s absolute garbage.

Chris Marachino August 23, 2012, 21:29:44

Shut the fuck up Greenhaus! You are a cretin in disguise as a music journalist! Quit your job and do us a favor by learning to operate a McDonald’s fryer! Your mothers a whore!

Jon August 24, 2012, 01:15:07

Great article! This was very interesting. So cool that CK5 is doing Bieber tour. Good for him.

Frodo August 27, 2012, 17:11:03

Cool. Maybe now my kid will want to go see phish with me.

Adam August 28, 2012, 12:04:50

You would think that after reading the article that this guitarist would be better off in his own band, not trolling around with Bieber. The paycheck must be too good, hes doing it for the money while following Phish. Interesting. He really needs to play in his own band, hes doing himself a disservice, despite the paycheck.

James August 28, 2012, 18:18:04

Adam, read the article. Seems like he is quite content “trolling around with Bieber” (as you called it) “ and more interested in being a behind the scenes type of guy. Sounds like he doesn’t want his own band, he wants to direct, do studio stuff like write and produce. Sort of strange for you to judge him and his career path.

TPC December 20, 2012, 17:37:06

Can everyone please stop being dicks to Beiber now? the fact that the kid is getting into good music is a good thing… isn’t it?

Josh July 30, 2013, 11:32:11

Mad respect for this guy. Love that he plays a Zakk Wylde Les Paul and rocks Phish teases during shows. & DMB was a LOT of peoples gateway into the jam scene. This guy gets it though. It’s all about creating magical experiences night after night and leaving it all on stage. He probably can’t do that as much with Bieber, but give him time…

christian louboutin replica pumps April 12, 2014, 23:45:45

Women’s Vibram FiveFingers SPYRIDON LS Shoes-Orange/Grey for sale online
christian louboutin replica pumps http://www.helisas.com/admin/christian-louboutin-replica-pumps.asp