Features

Published: 2014/05/29
by Dean Budnick

Yonder Mountain’s New Pathway: A Conversation with Ben Kaufmann and Dave Johnston

That’s obviously a profound and personal experience…Given all that, headed into those January dates when Jeff couldn’t appear, did the three of you anticipate that this might be where the band was ultimately headed or did that happen after the fact?

BK: I didn’t think that at all. That thought wasn’t anywhere in my experience.

DJ: I can say too that I had not anticipated our current state based on what we were going into in January.

BK: If anything I thought that that experience would maybe bring us back in a way that produced a reconnection. I guess that’s probably what I thought—that it would be a very, very good thing and would probably lead us to connect again in a way that was better, that we would all realize, “My goodness look at this special awesome thing and maybe we can all really buckle down and start doing the work necessary to keep putting new, fresh energy into this thing and ride the ride for another 15 years.” But that didn’t happen and I think for me because of the magic of that January tour, to have the next tour happen and have everything sort of just be back exactly like it was prior to it by comparison, it just hit that much harder and that was when it started to become very clear that something had to change.

Moving forward, in looking at the guests you’ve announced, it seems to me that you don’t necessarily feel that Yonder Mountain String Band needs to be a four piece. Is that assumption correct and if so, to what extent do you feel that a mandolin has to be part of the equation?

DJ: We haven’t like set anything in stone, we haven’t taken any options off the table. We could be a five piece band, we could be an orchestra [laughs]. I think the real important thing at the heart of it is the way that Adam, Ben and I relate to the world and the way we relate to our lives making music together. So it’s definitely going to be the three of us and, you know, I love playing in a five piece, I love playing in a four piece, I love playing in a three piece except I only think a few people have seen the Yonder Mountain Trio. So I don’t know, we have nothing set in stone about it.

But I think that when you go into the next phase, when you go into it with an open mind and an open heart, it kind of clears your listening up a little bit and you can really listen for the thing that’s going to maintain the engine fired. We’re going to find the right octane to our gasoline that’s going to keep burning us down the road. It’s super exciting, it’s kind of like I just got this really great book and I’ve heard all about it and I can’t wait to start reading it.

BK: If I might interject here, speaking as the bass player, unless we’re talking about having a new member being a drummer, then in my opinion having a mandolin in the band is absolutely essential. In a bluegrass band the bass and the mandolin are two halves of a whole. The bass and the mandolin are the drummer—you’ve got the bass doing the bass drum and the mandolin is the snare drum and they both work together in a complementary way to produce a drive or a bedrock of music that’s crucial. So I anticipate that a mandolinist is a very needed element to the sound.

I have been kicking around the idea of “Wouldn’t it be cool to turn it into a five piece?” There’s also been part of me that’s been kicking around the idea of “Wouldn’t it be cool to have a female in the band?” in terms of bringing some sort of new energy, maybe even something that feels more complete or more whole, to strike a balance in that way. I’m pretty confident that I would like to have a mandolin player in anything that we put together but in terms of a 5th member or who the mandolin player is or maybe they play mandolin and dobro and kazoo, I can’t be too focused in a fine way right now. I have to have a wide sort of view because otherwise we may miss the person walking right next to us who is the perfect answer, the perfect complement to what we are doing. I think that sums up 2014 for me—a wide open experience playing with as many people as we can, playing with friends, making new friends, playing with people whose own ability calls to us, people we’re excited about, people we want to get to know more—seeing what feels right because that’s the thing, music especially for us doesn’t have to look a certain way but it does have to feel a certain way and that’s something you only know when you experience it.

So that’s 2014 and speaking personally by 2015 I like the idea of having a permanent lineup whether that’s four people or five people or whatever because then you can really start to tighten it up. As an improvisational outfit, a lot of the jamming is instinct but a lot of it is by logging miles together, playing gig after gig with each other, you learn how to anticipate, you learn how to get inside each other’s heads, you learn how to complement or set something up and you need to log those miles together in order to really have that thing dialed in.

Was your decision to enter the studio in May a product of these changes?

DJ: We were kind of hoping to get into the studio anyway this year. It seems like there’s a lot of music that’s coming out, it seems like there’s a little family of tunes that has popped up either that have been finished and played a little bit or are about to be finished. I guess that was our intention—to have time on the books in the studio and just get in there and be in that framework and in that moment. It’s hard for me to have any specific expectations other than we have some really good, kind-of-interrelated songs that I’m willing to explore with these two guys and I’m really pumped to just get in there and make a record.

We’ve spent so much time traveling and we’ve spent so much time in the energetic exchange of the live performance that I think it’s really fun to get together with these guys and write, edit and participate in that way. I believe that on stage the interactions that we’ve had in the past and in the future are all basically writing in the moment. That’s what we do and we have our particular framework for how we are going to do that on stage but in the studio the frameworks are different. I think it will be really good for our musical discipline and our performance discipline to be in the studio again and I think that was mainly what we were driving at before these changes came about is we just need to get in the studio and turn on the dial, fire up the machines and see what we come up with. In that spirit we’re just going to try to maintain that schedule.

I feel like it had been our intention either way. It’s been a while since we put out a full-length record but that’s just me.

BK: I think you’re right Dave, it is absolutely time to get back into the studio We’d been talking about being in the studio since the beginning of the year. It wasn’t on the books in January but we were holding the space and put down the deposit. The thing about Yonder, at least one of the things that’s happened, is we regularly have new songs but we are rarely in the studio. So what that means is you get something new and you play it and then you play it live and then you play it again live and by the time you actually get into the studio again all the new songs you’ve had become old veteran tunes, live tunes and there is a certain excitement about having new material in the studio that nobody knows.

When we parted ways with Jeff we had some new questions: “How are we going to use this time? Are we just going to go in as a three piece? Are we going to bring in other musicians? Are we just going to lay down basic tracks? Are we going to go in and do something maybe more experimental?”

Well we are going to have a fourth musician come in and record with us in the studio—Jake Jolliff, who was the mandolin player in Joy Kills Sorrow, I guess they’ve taken a hiatus. We got turned on to Jake through some mutual friends. As soon as the news came out that we were parting ways with Jeff, my phone started to blow up and half of those messages were from fans going, “Call me please, what the hell is going on?” And the other half were from musician friends, who were just throwing out suggestions as to who might be cool to get to know and play some music with and Jake’s name came up a lot. For me, I like to pay attention to these coincidences and we happen to know Jake’s manager really well, so we were able to make a connection and speak on the phone a little bit.

So we are going to bring in this new player who is really an extraordinary musician. It’s sort of a jaw-dropping thing for me to see some of his stuff online. There’s a brilliance to what he does and that’s really exciting in and of itself. But the thing I’m really excited about is that while he’s been on site at the same festivals as Yonder, he’s never really heard Yonder. So we’re going to have this experience with this guy coming in with no preconceived idea of what he thinks that we think we need him to do. There’s going to be a pure, creative experience happening and that was something I didn’t anticipate. I thought we would be going in with people we either jammed with before or who were either passingly familiar or intimately familiar with Yonder Mountain and what they think it is. I’m so happy that that’s not the case because it means that we may actually be gearing up to make something really cool and that’s what I need right now—I need that new stuff, I need this new input.

We’re at a new beginning and now I really feel the need to start taking steps like this is the beginning of a new journey. I have a hard time expressing how excited I am that the situation is unfolding where we are going to be playing with somebody who is so extraordinary talented and yet has no preconception as to what he’s supposed to do. So we can all stand there next to each other and see how we play, see what it feels like and it will be something new and pure—that’s awesome.

« Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Comments

Larry Hulst May 29, 2014, 14:40:28

All musicians that are I it for the long haul face family decisions. Grow up with real responsibilities sucks.
My step son Victor Damiani (original bass player for the band CAKE) made the happiest decision in his life when he walked out of the band CAKE and into the lives of his 4 sons. This was the wisest thing Victor could do. I love Yonder, this decision is their best for the future.

YMSBFan May 29, 2014, 16:14:14

It was time. Jeff was a stage hog, and seemed for years to always be more into “Hey, Look at me” and more self-congratulating. Wishing the Trio the best in their new endeavors.

YonderLuv May 29, 2014, 17:00:25

This article puts into words the difference between what I saw in Tahoe/Oakland the end of March and then at Dark Star Jubilee last weekend. I appreciate their honesty here and explains even more why I love these guys so much! Their playing and their stage presences says to me they’ve gotten their souls back and I’m excited to see where they go!

diana May 29, 2014, 17:17:11

Although the Tahoe show in March was great, it was obviously a bit off – the vibe was just not the same as the past five or six shows. This makes it clear why. Sad to see the change, but hopeful it will lead to some great things in the future for all parties.

yossarian May 29, 2014, 17:42:39

Late night Yonder at the Jubilee really was great. The 3 Yonder dudes, Jerry Douglas, John Frazier and parts of the set with Nicky Sanders from Steep Canyon Rangers and Rob Koritz from DSO... just an insane amount of talent, they were gelling and the vibe was great. I’m excited to see what they come up with.

runnergirl May 29, 2014, 18:50:38

Say what you want about Jeff but at least he would let the fans in and share the energy during the shows which was a very large part of the Yonder experience for many of the fans. Part of the draw for me at least was to experience that escape into the unknown…hopefully they can still do that without Jeff.

Mj May 30, 2014, 01:00:35

That was an interesting read. I’m excited for what is to come of the band! As someone who has loved yonder for 13+ years and was there in the old days(including the infamous Stanhope house, which we made it to because the band hooked us up with a ride, place to stay and the guest list) and they would play outside after a show ended because they were having so much fun. To watching meltdowns happening on stage a few years ago I think the band is back on track! Best of luck to them.

zach May 30, 2014, 04:55:03

Wow, I feel like a dick. For whatever reason, I just assumed that Jeff left the band and at Delfest was telling everyone would listen that he was an asshole. Not cause I didn’t agree with the decision… every time I saw Yonder the last few years they were wholly uninspiring and lacked energy— which was a huge contrast to how they used to be. I was pissed at what I thought was Jeff’s refusal to do a final tour or at least honor the contracts they had already signed (I was also slightly less pissed but thought it was dumb the rest of them would continue under the same name). It never occurred to me that they kicked Jeff out. Not sure why, perhaps because he has so many side projects, is a rock star, Yonder was his band and assumed the other three wouldn’t have the audacity to kick him out of the band and then continue it without him. That is totally fucked up. Again, well I’ll always miss Yonder the last few times I’ve seen them wasn’t really Yonder so I totally understand the need to make a change. That being said, for the other three guys to kick Jeff out of the band and then continue to play under the same name is just beyond fucked up. They’re basically saying that we don’t want Jeff in the band but want to continue exploiting the big name that he was a huge part of building. If they used a different name they wouldn’t get as big of bills as they will by still using YMSB (even though those bills will still be smaller than when he was in the band) but that only seems fair. I mean, at least just call yourself Yonder or even Yonder Mountain to signify that YMSB doesn’t exist. BK seems genuine or whatever but he also comes off as a greedy fucking bastard because he’s like I don’t care about the money or how many people we draw I just want to enjoy playing the music. Really? If you don’t care about money or drawing fans then why are you still using YMSB.

Wow! May 30, 2014, 09:39:22

What a bunch of sissies! Go Jeff! You don’t need these a-holes! The only reason they are making or will be making good music is due to the amazing talent of their guests!

Rachel May 30, 2014, 13:44:45

As a fan for 15 years, I don’t want to say too much because I haven’t been this sad about a band breaking up since Jerry Garcia died. I do hear all the different sides, and I am trying to be open and excited to hear both Jeff’s new solo project and Yonder’s new configuration. However, the one thing I feel very strongly about, and of course this is just my opinion, so who gives a crap, is that just like The Grateful Dead changed their name after Jerry died, PLEASE change your name to just Yonder. This is no longer Yonder Mt. String Band and I think to honor yourselves and what was, this would be a great move. You want something fresh, a new start, then this would be perfect. I hope the band will consider this. Thanks for all the years of music spiritual bliss you have provided me with. See you at String Summit and at Strings and Sol.

Brandon May 30, 2014, 14:10:55

I have to agree with Zach, this has been handled really poorly from the beginning. Coming out with a press release that’s cleverly worded so it seems like Jeff quit rather than the truth that you forced him out, so that all the casual fans who don’t know what’s going on will put all the blame on him. And then continue to take cheap shots at him in every interview, while Jeff takes the high road and doesn’t comment. Pretty classless, to be honest. You guys think Jeff has a big ego? How about your egos, thinking if you keep the name and pretend that nothing has changed, you’ll continue to do well without the person who wrote all your best songs and made your band different and special compared to all the other jamgrass bands.

Mike May 30, 2014, 14:25:50

Well put Ben and Dave. I am so excited to hear what’s next for Yonder 2.0. Follow your god given talents and your hearts and you can’t go wrong. So much talent left in the band, what a wonderful breath of fresh air another musician(s) will bring. Onward.

wharrves May 30, 2014, 16:28:48

Like so many others have said up there, we read this one so wrong. Look, first of all, my personal solo virtuoso pick for the band was always Adam, so I’m not saying this from a place of deep-seated Austin-worship, especially in a musical sense. But what the guy really did well was looking after the crowd while the other members were up on Cloud 9, absorbed in the musical aspect of the show and that actually really counts for something. No matter how many years went by as their fame ballooned, Jeff had the ability to make people in the room feel like they were at an intimate show, among friends. I understand that the other band members want the show to be more downhome, communal and less “rock star“ish and additionally, less about “how big the crowd is”, but you have to understand that as good as it sounds to say that on the surface, those things are part of the difference between listening to a CD and being at a live show. The bits and pieces of personality that apparently cramped everyone’s style up there are what I personally treasure about Austin. Feeling awkward for a few years and then having one big blowout kitchen table conversation and (presumably) ganging up on him and then continuing to capitalize on all of those contributions of his is childish and passive-aggressive of them. What they meant to say when they were talking about his January absence and what a relief it was to realize that they didn’t need him to carry a beat was simply that they each had more attention than ever. And yeah, I get that he was the last one of them to really master his instrument, so seeing him become so popular might have felt kind of weird for that reason. Still though, to make a metaphor of his stage presence and how this situation played out: Austin is like the first kid in his group of friends to show up to a snowy hill with a shiny new sled while everyone else is sitting around throwing snowballs. After a while, taking everyone for rides on the sled could sort of make the day seem like it was as much about sledding with him as messing around with the rest of them in their snowball fight. The other kids felt a little bit of insecurity over their own popularity and their control over the day’s activities and they have a choice – Do you want to contribute, add your own style and make things even better and more exciting? Cool, go grab what you can; one guy brings some dish sleds, one guy makes a snow fort, one guy does some snow angels and they all get attention for themselves the right way.. If you feel too much like it’s all about this kid and his sled, give your friends a reason to be excited about mixing in other activities that give your voice a chance to be heard. Yonder instead solved this interpersonal/creativity/social dilemma by throwing the kid’s sled over a fence. So now we’re all back to watching 1998 Yonder from before Jeff found his whole stage groove throw snowballs at each other and while it might feel like a huge relief for the band to have that pressure off and attention back, we the fans are poorer for losing that extra fun and silliness. That’s one heck of a shame.

Eric May 30, 2014, 17:52:32

I am grateful for this interview in order to understand more fully how and why this is all happening.I appreciate their candor and opening their hearts to us all. Must have been a very hard decision for them all I am sure! That said I trust they will all find their vibe and bring us something new and beautiful. it may not be what we all were used to but all bands change and go thru metamorphosis that is to be expected in any band that has been around 15 years.
I am excited to see how it all shakes out. I am excited for a new and different Summit this year.
Find your hearts and souls and show us your joy. Thanks for letting us into your process.

Rick May 30, 2014, 22:05:08

Hopefully this change works out for them! Saw them at Summercamp it was a good show. Seems weird to hear them say they want to get away from the whole rock star thing when they had Jake Cinnagur sit in with them for half their summercamp set. I love Jake but the sit-in was a little weird and it kind of overshadowed Jerry Douglass and made him lost in the mix which was a shame! The mando player who played with them was awesome though! Hope they get things figured out and I hope Jeff continues doing good with his own thing. The whole not caring about the crowds thing is odd though! Without big crowds you can’t play music for a living and support your family! Maybe you will learn that when fans of Jeff split for something else like let’s say GREENSKY BLUEGRASS who are killing it right now! Money’s tight people only have money for so many shows a year. And if a have a girlfriend or wife it’s double the cost for every show! Trying to say it’s all about the art is BS it’s about entertaining your audience sure it’s cool when you write something personal and people love it like let’s say Left Me in a Hole! But you do kind of need that guy with tons of energy feeding his energy to the audience playing cool uptempo rock type songs and awesome covers!

boogiegrass May 31, 2014, 00:52:26

Now, now kids,
If you can’t say anything nice…

danimal May 31, 2014, 02:47:34

this one of the saddest things ever. Didnt realize all this was going down. I thought he was on maternity leave. Why not be straight up?? Jeff Austin made me fall in love with bluegrass. Classy guy for not hating on them for keeping the name. But people who pay for Yonder tix (which are at the highest price and biggest venues theyve ever played) should know Jeff’s gone. Not a hater, love yonder, but jeff was the guy I loved. So torn

danimal May 31, 2014, 02:54:13

Jeff Austin was Yonder. Do your thing man. We will all wait for you to come back and play soon. Whether you are with yonder or doing your own thing, you will always be a huge inspiration of mine

danimal May 31, 2014, 03:13:08

cant say I liked yonder from the beginning. But Jeff Austin made me fall in love with this band. To not hear him in their music is not Yonder for me. Hope this situation turns out for the best, but for now this has got me rally bumbed

danimal May 31, 2014, 03:22:34

by the way its 3am and im drunk. I havent followed ymsb from the begining but jeff defiantly was the guy that got me into yonder. sorry if i upset any “true” yonder fans

Angela May 31, 2014, 10:37:43

JEFF IS NOT YONDER ! you sad sad mislead kids, did you not meet some of your best friends at a yonder show , do you not have some of your best memories dancing to Boatman? Because that is YONDER the love and experiences that these boys brought into our lives for 15 years. Im so grateful that they are going to continue as YMSB that’s their band too and just because one person doesn’t share the ideas of love and light anymore why should they change who they have been? I cant wait for summer tour and for the new reborn energy that Adam Ben and Dave will bring. I have hope for a better Yonder, more friends and more unforgettable dances and Ill support you three in whatever you decide because I believe in you. For those of you who do not , im sure you can go cluck off to some panic :)

Angela May 31, 2014, 10:39:31

O and Zach don’t worry to much, you are a dick

Metalback May 31, 2014, 14:35:32

Two words…substance abuse

hometown hiker May 31, 2014, 18:14:25

Great read, I am glad that Yonder is moving on. I love Jeff and will continue to support him, but I must say that seeing Yonder with the McCourys in January was about the best grass show I’ve ever seen. Carry on, Ben, Dave, and Adam!

Blake May 31, 2014, 18:18:02

Such a shame. I too love Jeff’s banter, similar to Claypool imo, so it won’t be YMSB for me. See you at Greensky and Jeff’s solo shows. Good luck “Yonder”

kafkas hat June 2, 2014, 10:09:08

Wow…Jake Jolliff is a phenomenal talent; like a more reserved and tasteful Chris Thile. Youtube his video playing with Jason Anick “what a wonderful world.” If I remember correctly, he us the first mandolinist to attend and graduate from Berklee School of Music.

riverside June 3, 2014, 00:59:08

Jeff is the man and Adam is the man. Reunite. Dave’s cool too.

Shucks This Sucks June 4, 2014, 09:33:31

I take it that the other three fellas were tired of Jeff being a prick. That being said, they have every right to continue on, but they should change the name of the band. Simply put, without Jeff, it’s just not YMSB. I’m really bummed about this shake-up. I’m sure BK will get a chance to see himself become a poor, but happy, musician, as their booking will decline after this run of previous signed deals will come to an end after their summer run. As others on here have said, there are other bands like Greensky, and RRE, that will simply replace them when one needs to fill their yearning for some jamgrass. As far as all this BK ‘Kafka-esque’ bullcrap, it’s just that, a bunch of bullcrap. And to think I used to believe he was the ‘cool’ one in the band.

rusty June 5, 2014, 08:57:12

After seeing YMSB at Delfest I was left feeling like it was a reunion show with special guests. Time off needs to be taken and life/music reevaluated. Best of luck to everyone involved in this mess, I will miss the complete Yonder lineup, and unfortunately I am stuck seeing them two more times this summer, at least I still got my RRE though!

Clive Bigsby June 5, 2014, 20:47:09

Without Jeff there is no real reason to see the band. Period.

kyle isaac June 5, 2014, 23:08:19

You’re all over thinking it! Bands break up for various reasons and they always will. I wish both entities well. In my opinion as someone who has been very involved in live music since 1980 I would go see Jeff Austin play with Englebert Humperdink!

nobody June 7, 2014, 13:20:39

You know what’s annoying? When someone acts all enlightened and higher consciousness but they lack the true qualities that really define it…..forgiveness, unconditional love, non-judgement, acceptance…

Bahhhh June 7, 2014, 16:37:53

What a fucking joke.

Bahh June 7, 2014, 16:49:02

Angela, you ignorant slut, Jeff sang boatman. And this emi boy band is no longer the Yonder Mountain String Band.

ld June 8, 2014, 20:34:53

Wow this is a lot to digest. When I heard Jeff was gone and read ‘the statement’ it was clear to me Jeff was voted out of the band. After reading through this it is clear that is what went down. I loved YMSB saw them first time at HSMF and have seen them many times at many places (Amsterdam, New Orleans most every Tahoe show etc) Last show was at Montbleu South Shore and it was not great to me. How many bands can last 15 years? I guess we were lucky it lasted as long as it did. Jeff was always my favorite in the band and I disagree w previous poster who claimed Jeff was the last to master his instrument. Really?! Ben was always my 2nd favorite musician and songwriter but all that new age mumbo jumbo from him in this interview made me nauseous. I get Jeff maybe was a dick but please if you kick him out change the name of the band to Yonder or something. I doubt I will go see YMSB again unless in a festival setting such as Telluride HSMF etc. This was perhaps inevitable but after reading this interview it seems clear to me that Ben is the prime mover behind the ouster and comes off as very Yokoish.

clive bigsby June 9, 2014, 12:25:12

I don’t care if they call them selves Yonder Mountain String band or Pigs in a Blanket. They still suck.

wait and see June 9, 2014, 14:49:36

I can imagine that so many of the people that are taking such a hateful stance are the same people that walk around HIGH AS FUCK speaking about how everyone should love everyone else and rant about world peace and shit. NOW LOOK AT YOU. Why don’t you all just wait and see what happens. I doubt any of you have a clue of what really went on inside the band. Get over it! Bands break up. On a side note I have a friend who I used to go to shows with and who still goes to many shows tell me that the three were awesome without Jeff. He believes its the first time they were playing better than they did in 10+ years. So why don’t you all try them and see before you get on here and talk hate. WARMONGERS! Probably a bunch of Conservatives!

Slim June 10, 2014, 10:12:45

Just too much judgement for what noone really knows the details about. Everyone has thier own musical journey to take fans and musicians, who is anyone to judge what the musicians choose to do ( just as the fans have the right to not go to YMSB shows anymore) If they don’t wanna play together anymore then thats thier choice in thier journey. As far as the name goes simple math 3 remaining members out of 4 they should be able to keep the name if they want. Its as simple as this also if the music they make is good then see it if not don’t. I personally got tired of Jeffs ego and onstage antics and stopped seeing the band 8 years ago. I look forward to getting back to a show. Good luck to all musicians involved.

Scott June 10, 2014, 14:06:10

I am a big Yonder fan and will give the Jeffless version a try, but I’m very worried the energy level of the shows will suffer. Jeff’s intensity and wackiness is what turned very good music into an amazing experience and set them apart from other very good bluegrass bands. As others have said, he really pulled in the audience. I think they had a great balance before, and I worry that they will be too much Yin and not enough Yang without Jeff. Oh Ben – what have you done?

Bill June 10, 2014, 22:40:02

The yin and yang comment was spot on. The best part of Yonder shows of old was you could connect to the poetry of a Ben song then Jeff would bring the energy back and you could dance your metaphorical (or sometimes literal) pants off. I saw them at Summer Camp without Jeff. The collaborations were awesome to listen to but not great to watch. Jeff always elevated everyone stage presence and made collaborations an art. I can’t believe “creative differences” got in the way of this band. I believe there may be a lot that is not being said and I’m okay with that. Because of Yonder there is a whole bunch of awesome jamgrass/string bands out there. I’ll still see Yonder when they’re around and hopefully see Jeff in some of his new ventures. And hopefully one day see them play together again. Peace and love y’all.

Tom June 11, 2014, 10:39:58

I have seen Jeff-less YMSB twice this year—1 Feb show and the Dark Star Jubilee show. Those shows were positivie deviations from the norm—not necessarily better or worse, but different in a positive way. I feel like they were in a stagnant rut and if they need to blow it up to bring on a new era of creativity then so be it. I know they won’t always have Jerry Douglas, but man it was pretty amazing to see him w/YMSB. I’ll see Jeff, too. He’s sort of what appealed to me and made YMSB “not your typical bluegrass band” IMO. It is a bummer when musicians split, but maybe this will end up better for both in the long run. They obviously had things running way too deep, and the divorce analogy they put out there seems fitting—the last few years they stayed together for the kids (fans). It’s sad, but all things pass. I’m as excited to hear Jeff fine-tune his band over the next few years—just as I am w/YMSB. In keeping with the divorce analogy: it was sad when it happened, but now we’re all like the kid involved in a divorce—we have two sets of parents that will try to spoil us rotten. Stay positive, folks.

Tostonesfix June 11, 2014, 15:23:24

Too much information. Show some humility, gents. Geez.

Lonesome LA Cowboy June 13, 2014, 22:48:06

Hey Ben, sounds like you need some cheese with all that whine. Holy crap, this “interview” (and I use that term lightly) made me feel some sympathy for Jeff, having to put up with an insufferable b!tch like Ben for 16 years.

Longtime Yonder Fan June 16, 2014, 15:33:16

I agree with lonesome LA cowboy. In the article Ben comes off as whiny. You know he is a “sensitive artist”! So sensitive that he booted the best part about Yonder. What, he wants to be the center of attention now after all these years? They are all talented musicians, but the part that I love is the energy that Jeff Austin brings and Yes he is a front man and loves the limelight, but that’s what makes the band fun to watch. Ever since we have been going to Yonder concerts he has been right up front, why is it so upsetting for Ben now? Davey doesn’t want it and I don’t think Adam does either. Let’s see how the trio does on their own when they stop riding on the coat tails of the other artists they have been playing with. You never know, maybe Ben will finally get his wish and become the starving artist that he inspires to be.

Pine Trees June 17, 2014, 12:10:25

what does it matter when every other jamgrass band is leaps and bounds more talented… YMSB already hit their peak a few years back- Really they should take a hiatus try to capture some of that early magic songwriting and re-learn their collective instruments- With or without Jeff it was getting stale and the new tunes and jams were not keeping up with the competition. Def change the name- Def get stick out of Ben’s tight ass- and def go see Grant Farm, Trampled By, Greensky, RRE,Infamous String Dusters…for the real thing

Jk8fan June 20, 2014, 20:28:05

Jeff is a great entertainer. Hardly the best mandolin player out there, but very entertaining. Hopefully, he gets replaced with a solid permanent member and the other 3 give the guy a full share of the band revenue. Best of luck to Jeff. I saw the Jeffless band in Atlanta with The Traveling McCoury’s. Great show.