Published: 2010/10/07

Phish Tries Out A New Song at ACL Soundcheck

Phish will officially kick off a series of fall shows with a headlining appearance at the Austin City Limits music festival tomorrow, October 8. However, the members of the band performed some music earlier today. As captured on YouTube, Phish soundchecked the new Trey Anastasio/Amanda Green song “Burn that Bridge” on ACL’s main stage. The members of Phish also soundchecked the song several times this summer. In addition to a few stabs at “Burn that Bridge,” the members of Phish toyed with a few jams during its ACL warm-up.

“[Amanda] and I have written three songs in the past couple of weeks,” Anastasio told Relix earlier this summer. “We actually just got an email from a band that wants to cover one of them. She and I wrote ‘Burn that Bridge’ and there’s a song called ‘Julie’ that I think we’re going to do on the next leg of the Phish tour. Phish already learned it, but just haven’t done it yet.”

It is not uncommon for headliners to soundcheck early at major festivals like ACL— Phish usually soundchecks a day early at its own festivals, and the band treated early arrivals to a soundcheck a day before its first show at Bonnaroo in 2009.

Comments

Links of London March 14, 2011, 04:23:31

the reputation of Links of London charm bracelets The charm bracelet is unquestionably probably the most popular product that the links charms jewellery firm has produced. It has designed Links of London sale a household name. The sweetie bracelet, or charm bracelet as its typically known, has developed into a whole array of designs and colours, as well as paved the way to get a total host of various companies all producing their own range of silver charm bracelets so that you can consider and compete with links charms , and also to try and capitalize around the large development and recognition on the Links o Links London f London charm bracelet.

Links of London March 14, 2011, 04:26:31

Skeptical October 8, 2010, 10:55:36

12 bar blues…how original…..

Kyle October 8, 2010, 11:11:35

@skeptical. When you can write a better song put together a sold out tour and a 25 year career then come talk to me. People bitch when they they dont rotate their songs enough and people bitch when they come out with new tunes. Sorry they dont write songs like fluffhead anymore maybe because they are in their 40s. They come up with a great song tte and people boo! Granted it took me a few dozen listens to like the song but skeptical when you write anything you can talk sh*t

matt October 8, 2010, 11:13:46

sweet jaded comment brah it’s catchy…deal with it

kyle October 8, 2010, 11:14:27

@skeptical AGAIN. If this is the first time you have heard this your are a complete noob

Rider11 October 8, 2010, 11:21:26

Burn that Bridge sounds way better reggae style, bluesy is cool just could be better. Hope they burn this one at the ACL and not Broomfield

rekcutus October 8, 2010, 11:43:49

I like it. I’ve been seeing Phish regularly for 20 years and I find that I enjoy their music more if I don’t critique everything they do. I am just happy to see Trey happy and writing tunes that the whole band likes. It’s not likely they will ever write complicated music like they did in the 80’s…I’m over it. If they are psyched about their new music then I am too.

Bluesintheface October 8, 2010, 12:05:31

NOTHING more dreadful than white boy blues – we’re gonna hear a lot of this one, unfortunately. Catchy does not equal good.

Skeptical October 8, 2010, 12:12:10

Calm down, you are going to hurt yourself defending adult contemporary dave matthews wannabes. ps. i am a musician and have written songs. and i could put together a better song than that drek in 5 minutes.

matt October 8, 2010, 12:40:14

Skeptical, you are an epic failure at life and music. Otherwise it would be your band playing in front of 50,000 people tonight.

Skeptical October 8, 2010, 12:49:27

i criticize the new phish song because it is LAME, and your response is a personal attack. look in the mirror to see an epic failure at life. [the end]

harry October 8, 2010, 13:11:28

my balls are starting to stick to my upper inner thigh with all this glory hole nonsense we speak!!

Me October 8, 2010, 13:52:24

Hey Skeppy and all other musical geniuses… No one give a FUCK about your opinion… when you say you could write something better, shut your fuckin yap, write the songs and we’ll be there to cheer you on… but for now STFU, you add 0 to the pot, and, like them or not, Phish has got the credentials to back their music, your cred is talking smack on the internet… far from a pro… and, please, all of you who want to rip on the band… stay away from shows so I don’t have to break my back to get a ticket… that way, I’m happy cause I get to hear the crap that you hate, and you’re happy cause you don’t… pretty easy, huh?

Someone October 8, 2010, 14:46:21

Funny thing is, it’s not 12 bar blues. So this whole discussion began flawed.

funny October 9, 2010, 09:39:04

My belly hurts from laughing at all of you! Just stop. Please, you make us fans look like a bunch of retards.

Cosmic Bass October 9, 2010, 09:43:45

Personally I don’t care what people on the internet think of the song. It won’t change my view of it.

Will October 9, 2010, 11:40:07

I’m most bothered by the portion of this article that reads “As captured on YouTube…” Wasn’t it ‘captured’ by a person on a phone or camera and then transferred to YouTube? It kinda sounds like the article is crediting YouTube for the clip.

bob October 10, 2010, 02:09:04

Not another blues tune.

cosplay October 14, 2010, 03:46:53

LambRambler October 15, 2010, 15:08:15

I liked a bunch of the news songs on Joy, but preferred the Party Time tracks. That Sailboat reggae song sounds nice too (even if the lyrics are redundant). However, this song is not to my liking. Sounds too mediocre, granted its a better execution than “Idea” but the song goes nowhere in my opinion, even if they tacked on a 10 minute jam to the end of it. It is just lackluster. That being said, no i’m not a better songwriter, can not do any better, will not STFU, and I will just use the bathroom or grab a beer when I hear this song live…no biggie.