Published: 2010/10/25

Buffalo Springfield Reunites at Bridge School Benefit

Legendary ’60s group Buffalo Springfield reunited this past weekend at Mountain View, CA’s Shoreline Amphitheatre as part of Neil Young’s Bridge School Benefit. Classic Buffalo Springfield members Young, Stephen Stills and Richie Furay performed at the charity concert on both Saturday and Sunday. It was the first time since 1968 that the three musicians have shared the stage. The benefit also featured marquee performances by Pearl Jam, Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams, Billy Idol, Jackson Browne and David Lindley, Modest Mouse and Grizzly Bear, among others.

The Buffalo Springfield members offered a single set each day that included such songs as “On The Way Home,” “Rock & Roll Woman,” “A Child’s Claim To Fame,” “Do I Have To Come Right Out And Say It?,” “Go And Say Goodbye,” “I Am A Child,” “Kind Woman,” “Burned,” “For What It’s Worth,” “Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing,” “Bluebird” and “Mr. Soul.” Crosby, Stills & Nash drummer Joe Vitale performed in place of Buffalo Springfield drummer Dewey Martin (who died of natural causes in 2009), while Young collaborator Rick Rosas sat in for founding bassist Bruce Palmer (who died of a heart attack in 2004). Jim Messina, who replaced Palmer on the band’s final album, did not appear at the reunion.

Neil Young performed at various other times throughout the two-day event. Both days he offered versions of his own “Sugar Mountain” and “Comes A Time.” In addition, he sat in with Leon Russell & Elton John for “Gone To Shiloh” and joined Pearl Jam for “Walk With Me,” the latter of which appears on his new studio album Le Noise. Pearl Jam’s sets doubled as the alt-rock icon’s 20th anniversary shows (the band played its first show on October 22, 1990). The group shuffled its setlists between shows, performing hits like “Daughter” and “Black” one night and Wayne Cochran’s “Last Kiss,” “Nothingman” and “Better Man” the next. The band also covered Patti Smith’s “Dancing Barefoot” and debuted a live version of its B-Side “Other Side,” among other songs.

Several other collaborations marked the two-day show. Emmylou Harris made a surprise appearance with Lucians Williams on “Greenville,” Pegi Young and Williams sat in with Elvis Costello on “Scarlet Tide” and most of the evening’s performers—including Eddie Vedder and Jackson Browne—joined Young for a show-closing take on “Rockin’ In The Free World.”

Comments

Cream Power Trio October 25, 2010, 19:30:05

So great to see three of the five original Buffalo Springfield members playing the classic songs. They sounded great! I wonder if Young has a tinge of regret this didn’t happen while Bruce Palmer and Dewey Martin were still alive. It would be great to see the reunion continue although I assume it was a one off event. They are an excellent acoustic trio …

mistervideo October 25, 2010, 20:00:10

It was a great show! Tight harmonies and great guitar playing that had the audience on their feet that night. Stills’ Rock and Roll Woman had the crowd begging for more. Richie’s Kind Woman blew everyone away (how can he still reach those notes?) And every song Neil did just brought down the house. With the first “oooh – oooh – ooohs” of “On the Way Home” that opened the set it was clear these men had incredible talent they hadn’t shared for over 40 years… but it sounded like it was just yesterday. I will never forget it.

jim mussina October 25, 2010, 20:48:59

I WAS THERE SATURDAY AND CAUGHT PNEUMONIA FROM THE DRIVING RAIN AND TONS OF CIGARETTE SMOKE —- AND WHERE WAS THE ELECTRIC GUITARS ? —- BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD WAS NEVER ACOUSTIC —- I WANT MY MONEY BACK !!!

Robert Sommers October 26, 2010, 00:29:18

There were no electric guitars all night Jim – Bridge is acoustic music. I smelled lots of bud, no tobacco. Where were you?

Robert Piggott October 26, 2010, 09:50:13

???? Jim you crybaby. I’d gladly give you your $$$$ back and give 10 times that to the kids of the Bridge School. Did you forget what this was about? I am honored to have been a part of this historic moment. My only regret, being too tired to make it back Sunday. Thanks to every musician for their time and energy. I Am Grateful!

gullibully October 26, 2010, 11:50:52

Guys, the Jim Messina post is a joke, you idiots are so gullible. It even says in the article that Jim Messina didn’t show up for the reuinon. In typical Jambands fashion, they have incorrect information and cannot spell for shit. Listen, it’s called research and spellcheck. Use it assholes.
LUCINDA WILLIAMS.

gotti3 October 26, 2010, 15:30:18

i also attended the Sat show. I think out of all the bands Buffalo Springfield was the weakest link. However I did think Billy Idol rocked the house.

Becky Adams October 29, 2010, 04:48:57

We went Sunday and it was a peak experience. Now it seems like a dream, and I would like to go back and dream it again. What a fantastic experience seeing and hearing Buffalo Springfield, the seminal band from my adolescent years.

Joyce P October 30, 2010, 20:25:31

Oh my, the word is Beauty The event was for a Great cause,(The kids,school. I think what Mr. and Mrs.Young do is soul felt. The flame of firey love. This show was great, Could not believe i was there, seeing them was a dream of pure, GREATArt. I am thankful you 3 came and performed, your so good. The show rocked. Best concert with meaning in a long time. Your all good and your music is saying so much still today. Love you.See you next year.First time i been, thought where have i been? Alot of nice people i met. Great music is the best remedy for what ills you.

Herve Leger November 1, 2010, 05:08:52