Published: 2011/02/17

Longtime Widespread Panic Crew Member Passes Away

Longtime Widespread Panic Equipment ManagerDonald Garrie Vereen passed away Wednesday morning. A statement on the band’s website listed “unexpected complications from his recent aneurism” as the cause of Vereen’s death. Vereen was a visible presence in the Widespread Panic community and a friend to the band and fans alike. Before working with Panic fulltime, Vereen worked at Athens, GA’s legendary Georgia Theater. He recently suffered the loss of his son.

A joint message from his wife Windy and Panic frontman John Bell reads,

So many blessings have already been received by so many concerned; Garrie’s Family and extended Family thank you all for trying to help fill this new found void in our Hearts.

However… and this is important… in this age of lightning speed information (and mis-information) sharing, The Vereen and Widespread Panic Families respectfully request that energies spent are not wasted on rumor and speculation, but channeled into the Love we share for Garrie, his Family, and one another.

With Respect, Reverence, and Blessings,
Windy Vereen and John Bell

The Vereen Family Trust has been set up at First American Bank & Trust 300 College Avenue, Athens, GA 30601
(706) 354-5000

Comments

David Chalfant January 26, 2013, 16:39:14

I met gerrie in Louisanna around 1981. We were planting trees for Lumber and paper companies on HUGH tracts of land. We found many Native American artifacts and areas where the Civil War had encampments and skirmishes.
One Site was a Revolutionary War Site in North Carolina. We found musket balls, crude daggers and buttons.
Gerrie found two 50 caliber bullets that collided in mid air that fused together!! somewhat uncommon and worth a lot to a collector.
He and I became close friends and when we returned to Athens, we used to se WSP in their early days and all new they had something special going on. Then one day, the magic happend. Almost like overnight! and the rest is history. Gerrie was a humble guy, fun to hang with and so happy go lucky.
May he RIP. Big Dave.

Rich Smich February 21, 2011, 01:59:31

Well it all started when Garrie noticed me in the front row with my head all bandaged up from a recent head surgery, and I yelled and yelled to get a set list…Garrie the man that he was threw it from Sunny’s set….
I got my first set list at the Orlando HOB show in 2000…the next night I had Mary, my girl friend at the time write “Dyin Man” on my head bandages cause people were so concerned with what had happend, (surgery wise) and i had to explain it a 100 times…...(cant help it, when hippies CARE) After that, now they just said hey dyin man, hope we get to hear it tonight…the next night, of course I was up front and was yelling to get a set list again, Garrie came down and gave it to me and said you dont give up do ya…with that soutern charm…............. The third night they closed the concert with DYIN MAN, Found out later Garrie requested them to play that song for me in the crowd, at the end of the show Garrie gave me a set of Sunny’s drumsticks and said…..“I hope you live another day Dyin Man”...and thats when our 11 year friendship began…... I cant’ say enough about one of the few true…true…true genuine people in the world…the stern nice guy you could always trust and respect…..I always tried to model myself after him…everyone loved him…..and why???? Because he was the guy you should want to be like…After I met Garrie….I was more excited to see him and see how he was doing, then I was to see WSP, and I love Widespread…What a special person….I really cant say enough… Our Friedship grew, met his family, such special people….I really can’t imagine…..I am so sorry…...... A friend and I came up with a T-shirt idea….and it said “Team Garrie” on the front and “The Man behind the Band” on the back, and that he was…....... Garrie, I love you man, and I want you to know that I will live my life each and every day in a positive way because of you…And Windy, and the Vereen Family….anything you need…ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............. My heart goes out to the Widespread Panic Family as well…................

makersandh2o February 18, 2011, 09:25:48

i can’t believe someone is trying to sell products on a thread regarding the death of such a great person that has been such a huge contributor to music. some people have no respect.

jab2787 February 17, 2011, 15:44:49

One of the nicest and most gracious people in the music industry. More thanks than you know for everything Garrie. You will be missed.
RIP Garo

musicfan February 17, 2011, 16:26:04

got to meet garrie once backstage and he had a warmth that is associated with good souls.

A friend February 17, 2011, 19:41:42

I’ve known Gary for quite a few years, and he will be missed. R.I.P. Garrie

high c February 17, 2011, 21:14:28

Garrie got my Michael Houser (Waffle House t-shirt signed by Mikey autographed for me. Not a nicer person has ever walked. I am at a loss.

Christopher February 17, 2011, 21:39:52

I am deeply saddened by the loss of someone that encompassed all that makes Widespread Panic family the special commuinity that it is. I share in his devotion to this music and truly feel for his family and friends loss.

Bob February 17, 2011, 22:09:23

this says he was stabbed to deatj http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtlanta-sharing_/widespread-panics-equipment-manager-843673.html