Published: 2011/05/22

Hangout Day 2: Foo Fighters Sub for Cee-Lo Green, Karl D and Ivan Neville Join Slightly Stoopid

Festival co-headliners Foo Fighters came to the rescue Saturday afternoon at Gulf Shores, AL’s Hangout Music Festival. Cee-Lo Green was scheduled to perform on the festival’s beach Hangout Stage from 3:30-4:30 PM. When it became clear that the hip-hop star was going to be extremely late to the festival, the members of Foo Fighters—who were scheduled to close the Hangout stage from 8:45-11 PM—took the stage early for a series of covers. When Cee-Lo finally arrived onsite, he joined the group for a take on Prince’s “Darling Nikki.” Cee-Lo and his band then ran through five songs on their own, including the hits “Crazy” and “Fuck You.”

Several of the festival’s core bands also collaborated throughout the day. Slightly Stoopid invited out both Karl Denson and Ivan Neville during their afternoon set on the Hangout Stage. Neville and Dumpstaphunk recently toured with Slightly Stoopid while Karl Denson was a featured guests at several of the band’s recent shows. Pretty Lights—who played both an afternoon and a late night set—also invited his Colorado pal Dominic Lalli (Big Gigantic) onstage to play saxophone. Though they did not collaborate onstage, the members of Primus and Warren Haynes Band were seen chatting about their Hangout plans on Twitter.

Sarurday’s diverse lineup included The Flaming Lips, The Avett Brothers, Motorhead, Medeski Martin & Woods, and Xavier Rudd, among others. Like many of his festival sets, Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne road into the crowd in an inflatable hamster ball. The Hangout will continue today. Please visit our daily blog for more videos from this year’s Hangout

Comments

Scoot May 23, 2011, 14:25:49

caught the webcast, the whole festival looked insane…would be so awesome to see all these bands right there on the beach! slightly stoopid killed it as always! sick jams with denson. also loved mariachi el bronx and avett’s.

SocialSoundSystem May 23, 2011, 14:47:11

A Foo Fighters cover set?! Damn. Is Cee Lo the new prima donna? He’s late to like every show and festival appearance. Stoopid is legit. They’ve got that jam vibe from California down and are working with all sorts of legends incl. Don Carlos, Del the Funky Homosapien, Barrington Levy, etc. Karl D has supported them on a bunch of shows. Dumpstaphunk is the pride of New Orleans right now carrying that phunky torch (saw them out in NY with Stoopid AND Fishbone!!!).

mary May 23, 2011, 14:52:01

Slightly Stoopid were awesome! The first time I have ever seen them, and they blew me away. Maybe my new favorite band. Foo Fighters playing covers were great too. Great festival right on the beach!

sarah May 23, 2011, 15:45:39

CeeLo is such a diva!!! Thank god for Dave Grohl who can suck up his pride and do what they came to the festival to do-MUSIC. Gotta show love to Slightly Stoopid too, those guys jam live!! Glad to see them share the stage with jazz and funk legends

Collieman11 May 23, 2011, 16:27:08

CeeLo green needs to take his one-hit-wonder elsewhere. Late to the show? Shame on you Green. By the sounds of the LiveStream, Slightly killed it as always. Karl n Ivan brought it again as they did in previous Slightly shows. Their live collaborations are always sick.

LovelyLadyJ May 23, 2011, 16:41:25

This was sick! Serious jams on all end. My favs – Cee-lo and Foo Fighters jam and of course STOOPID. They brought up Ivan Neville and Karl Densen – DAMN so insane. Saw Stoopid at 420 at the Greek and Dumpsta at Roxy awhile back – you gotta check them out!!!!!!!!!

Reggae Dave May 23, 2011, 17:43:16

slightly stoopid and ivan neville was probably really sick, and i bet darling nikki was dope too

joe May 24, 2011, 16:23:53

i love prince

Nasser K May 25, 2011, 02:55:36

This is way dope…Hangout this year looked nuts..wish I could have been there to see Stoopid!

laddie May 25, 2011, 04:17:04

i was there, making pizzas for spicy pie on the beachfront. i love cee lo, but i wish the foos could have played out the rest of that set… unbelievable experience right there…

bestdeutch May 26, 2011, 18:27:35

Worst festival I have ever been to. Save yourself time and money and go enjoy music festivals in states that have a liberal attitude and don’t go anywhere past the Mason-Dixon Line. The festival was a scam so the police in Baldwin County could make thousands off out of state travelers for misdemeanor charges. I personally had to pay over $3,000 to get out of jail for having less than 7grams of weed. It was hidden in my underwear and the security frisked me so I turned around to leave and the next thing I know 5 cops are beating me to the ground telling me to stop resisting when they had no evidence nor told me I was under arrest before I was kicked in the back and dragged across the pavement before they even had any evidence on me. I wasn’t read my rights and I was forced to sit in processing for 12 hours with no phone call. Then I was put in county lock up until my friends could get $3,000. Which they did and paid for it at 4PM and then I wasn’t released until 11PM that day so almost 32 hours of my life and $3,000 later I got to go home and now I am having to pay almost $5,000 to get the case dropped because the swine had no reason to arrest me or search me since I never entered festival grounds. You can make the judgement for yourselves just think about where you are going before you buy those tickets. I have traveled all over the US for festivals and this was by far the worst one I have ever seen not only was the presence of swine over abundant but they only had to water stations for 35,000 ppl that only had hot water from a hose coming out of them. Any late night tickets or shuttle passes bought were a joke since you could walk into any late night and you could get on the shuttle without paying. The festival sold out but if you had money the security wld take it and give you a wristband so it became way over crowded. Not enough bathrooms for 35,000 ppl, the stages were small and u cldnt see half of the shows from a good spot. All the vendors charged different prices for merch and beer when it was all the same thing. The town ran out of booze and cigarettes a day into the festival. No shade anywhere on the festival grounds and there were about 25 undercovers grabbing ppl for just smoking some weed at a festival. FUCK ALABAMA and THE HANGOUT MUSIC FESTIVAL!!!

Brace May 27, 2011, 07:15:15

bestdeutch, You had a bad time, you’re one of the only one’s. Get over it. Best festival in the 250 I’ve been to.

Chrisg520 May 27, 2011, 19:30:11

I’m with Brace, best festy in the country.

Melissa June 3, 2011, 18:35:11

Thoroughly enjoyed this festy! I loved jamming to Stoopid and having Ivan come out from Dumpstaphunk to jam with Kyle and the rest of the SS crew was such a legit treat. Good times and vibes all around, nothing better than Stoopid live and toes in the sand! :)

Kristen June 7, 2011, 14:52:27

This Festy looks like a blast. I always have a great time when Slightly Stoopid is playing.