Published: 2011/06/18

Phil Lesh Nods to Mumford & Sons, Zac Brown Band, Kings Of Leon; Sits in with Levon Helm

Lesh with Levon Helm last year

Phil Lesh returned to Levon Helm’s Woodstock, NY-area studio this weekend for a rare Friday night Midnight Ramble. The Grateful Dead bassist opened the show with a new band that featured his sons Brian and Grahame on guitars, Phil Lesh & Friends member Jackie Greene on keyboards and Furthur/Duo anchor Joe Russo on drums. Lesh let his children chose his setlist, which resulted in covers of such modern acts as Ryan Adams (“Chin Up, Cheer Up”), Zac Brown Band (“Quiet Your Mind”) Kings of Leon (“Back Down South”) and Mumford & Sons (“Sign No More”). The group also performed Greene’s “Never Satisfied,” as well as The Band’s “Acadian Driftwood” and the Furthur/Brian Lesh original “Mountain Song.” In addition, Phil Lesh & Friends member Teresa Williams—who performs in Levon Helm’s band—took over Bob Weir’s parts during the latter song.

Lesh later sat in with Levon Helm’s band for the Grateful Dead original “Attics of My Life” while Gov’t Mule keyboardist and Woodstock local Danny Louis sat in for a song. Russo’s Duo partner Marco Benevento—who recently moved to the Woodstock, NY area—also joined Helm’s band during the night. Near the end of Helm’s set, Lesh and his sons all returned to the stage for a take on The Band signature “The Weight.”

Here’s a look at Phil Lesh’s setlist

Cumberland Blues
Chin Up Cheer Up (Ryan Adams)
Comes a Time
Quiet Your Mind (Zac Brown Band)
...Fennario
Never Satisfied (Jackie Greene)
Uncle John’s Band
Mountains of the Moon
Back Down South (Kings of Leon)
Acadian Driftwood (The Band)
Bird Song
Sigh No More (Mumford & Sons)
Mountain Song
I Know You Rider

Comments

Rudy June 19, 2011, 00:18:15

A truly amazing Ramble last night. The “Rider” to close the set got really intense. This was two great sets of music, and a memorable evening for all of us lucky enough to attend.

Rich June 19, 2011, 12:53:33

The torch is being passed to a new generation…With Phil grooming his kids in the ways of organic, heartfelt genuine folk music, this was a special gathering with a lot of wonderful energy. Larry Campbell and Teresa added just the right sparkle to the tunes, and hopefully some of these tracks will be released and shared. Great, grateful evening.

Jeff June 19, 2011, 18:20:07

Words alone can not possibly describe how GRATEFUL I am to have been one chosen few to attend this special night of great music. Phil, the proud Papa on stage with his sons playing many generations of music for us to hear.
Levon, Larry, & the band were especially GREAT as well.
As my buddy Joe would say. (got me my ticket)
“A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL”

tom bover June 19, 2011, 23:38:11

very happy to have been there, will always remember this one

Doug June 20, 2011, 10:09:42

Was there.. And still blown away at the soulful sounds. I love living near Levon and being able to attend these special nights! So good!!!

jambandguy June 20, 2011, 15:28:04

I’m confused…I’ve read about the Ramble and it sounded so cool. But I thought it was a bunch of guys hangin around. Is this at a place where we could go see them? If anyone could let me know I’d appreciate it…I need to be there. Let know at rotobal@yahoo.com please?

alan weisberg June 20, 2011, 16:39:37