Published: 2011/06/27

Dave Matthews Band Introduces New Covers at AC Caravan

Dave Matthews Band returned to the stage for the first time this year for three shows this weekend. The performances took place at Atlantic City, NJ’s Bader Field as part of one of four Dave Matthews Band Caravan events that will mark the band’s 20th anniversary. The three-day event also boasted sets by DMB family groups Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds, Jeff Coffin’s Mu’tet and TR3, as well as Warren Haynes Band, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Alberta Cross, Damian Marley, Grace Potter, Dawes, Guster, From Good Homes, Ray LaMontagne, the Head & the Heart and The Flaming Lips, among many others.

Each of Dave Matthews Band’s shows featured some unique moments. During Friday night’s performance, the band debuted covers of Morphine’s “Buena” and Led Zeppelin’s “Good Times Band Times” and revived the original songs “Captain” and “Shotgun” for the first time since July 27, 2004 and August, 15, 2009, respectively. Matthews also performed a solo take on Procul Harum’s “A Whiter Shade of Pale,” a song he first covered during a Blue Man Group show earlier this year.

Saturday’s show also included some rarer songs and special guests. African singer Vusi Mahlasela sang his studio parts on “Everyday” while Warren Haynes—who was at the Caravan with his new solo band—took the stage for “#41.” Later in the show. Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals percussionist Leon Mobley—who was at the show as part of Damian Marley’s band—emerged for a set-closing “Two Step.” The group also busted out “Break Free” for the first time since September 13, 2006. Finally, last night the group debuted a cover of Aerosmith’s “Sweet Emotion” and played the extremely rare “Kill the King” for the first time since July 1, 2006.

Dave Matthews Band’s next performance will take place in Chicago on July 8.

Comments

atoombs June 27, 2011, 11:43:35

most amazing weekend!!! i cannot explain how great this festival was!!

Holler June 27, 2011, 12:17:41

Great sets, especially N3 Can’t wait for Gov’s Island FYI, First time Can’t Stop was played in an encore since 7.5.06. It was played a bunch in recent tours.

Mike June 27, 2011, 13:28:03

Caption? I think the song is called Captain, great song by the way

jambands.com June 27, 2011, 14:10:32

thanks so much, the typo has been corrected

captain June 27, 2011, 19:43:52

waaaa, u spelled captain wrong….

Dennis McLeod June 27, 2011, 20:27:17

awesome concert! great, fun crowd, fantastic variety of Food! I even loved the free Jeep optical course! The Jitney folks could not have been more mannerly and polite. The entire event was well organized. My only wish is that the scheduling of the different bands would have made it possible to see them All..instead..we had to run back and forth to various stages to catch parts of certain concerts, missing others, etc.

Ralph June 28, 2011, 16:03:18

The festival was great, the music rocked, the food selection was good and big cudos for the water refilling stations. How often do you get that at a concert?!

Courtney June 28, 2011, 17:44:13

Most amazing show I’ve ever seen, being my first festival I couldn’t have asked for a better experience, a better crowd, or a better line up, Saturday night was easily my favorite, but the entire thing was mind blowing.

replica ray bans August 11, 2013, 13:51:43

Hey! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site? I’m getting fed up of Wordpress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform. replica ray bans http://www.fakesunglassestrade.com/