Published: 2011/11/04

A Furthur Account

Photo by Jay Blakesberg

Last night Furthur opened up its fall tour with a performance at Verizon Wireless Arena Manchester, NH. The evening was well-received, based on Dan Berthiaume’s review, which now appears on the site. To mark the occasion, Relix.com has posted its March 2011 Furthur cover story, written by site editor Dean Budnick, which charts the band’s origins and development. In addition, the Relix Live Fridays series offers music from both Furthur and the Dead.

Tonight, it’s on to Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, ME for the group.

Comments

Sammy Martin November 4, 2011, 18:37:07

Furthur is not that great of a show, imo. I’ve seen them 20+ times and they are really hit or miss.

Kevin November 4, 2011, 20:21:26

Sammy M.- odd…you’ve seen a band 20+ times that has been together a little over two years, yet “is not that great”? Who do you go then brother?

timmy November 4, 2011, 23:22:01

How can they be hit or miss and not be a great show? Wouldn’t that just be miss? I’ve seen them 5 times, and they’re hit or hit harder for me. I’m not an “everything Dead related is the greatest thing ever” type but they put on a hell of a show. Phil and Joe Russo are and unbelievable rythmi c force. Best post GD lineup ever IMO.

Jeffrey Phelps November 5, 2011, 06:35:34

Sammy, Kinda Like the Grateful Dead Huh? Although I would be more inclined to agree with Timmy on this one. LOVE this band and can’t wait to hit ‘em up at the Fox in St Louis! That place os a trip unto itself!

Johnny P November 5, 2011, 08:26:38

Only in our awesome jamband, Dead-inspired universe would someone have the audacity to say they went through the time and expense to see a band 20 times, then deem their shows “not that great”
I love this…:)

Jeff P November 5, 2011, 10:45:43

Missed the Manchester show, but saw them in Portland last night. This is a band that’s noticeably improving and evolving with every tour – they’re bringing an incredible level of energy and still finding new ways to approach the old music.

Randy S November 5, 2011, 15:19:33

If they are hit or miss (as even the Grateful Dead were)...the Portland show was a big HIT...incredible, and they played as good as a good Grateful Dead show with a set list that makes Deadheads mouths drop…

Loubert November 5, 2011, 22:35:22

Furthur is good enough to blow your mind…... But i think it could still be better if they got a guitarist that really really kicks ass like jimmy herring

Loubert November 5, 2011, 22:36:31

And a second drummer

phildiamond November 6, 2011, 00:15:17

they had Jimmy Herring already back in 03 and 04. They were some great shows but NOTHING compared to what John K. has brought to the table. Bob and Phil know it best…the only thing that would improve this band is adding Bruce Hornsby on piano and keeping Chimenti ala 1991-92

Loubert November 6, 2011, 02:08:54

I know, i was there in 03 and 04….. I like Furthur B-rahh im going to msg. I just feel there are a number of great guitarist i would like to see and there is no reason the job should belong to just one. Phil had the rite idea with a revolving cast. He could do that with Bobby

Timmy November 6, 2011, 09:29:43

I hear what you guys are saying about the guitarist. That worked with Phil and friends. This is Furthur. JK is uniquely positioned to be the “Jerry” without sounding like a DSO cover band. Nothing wrong with DSO, or any of the Phil and Friends lineups. But this is a band, with JK as the lead. I think it should be permanent because they are exploring new ways of performing Phil and Bob’s music. They don’t need a shredder like Herring. The Grateful Dead never needed that, it’s much more subtle. I personally like when Phil and Joe lead them into Jazz territory. That’s why I keep going back.

jp November 6, 2011, 10:19:10

It would be nice if they could put together two good sets in the same show. The two times I saw them it was one great set per show and one that put me to sleep and one that was very sloppy (with bad sound).

Noodles November 6, 2011, 16:28:22

The greatest psych-jazz-lounge lizard show around. Some sets are lazy, but I think they developed a unique sound this time around. Its not meant to be anything in my opinion, it just is. Horns and Hornsby might be nice!

Noodles November 6, 2011, 17:17:05

Portland…. parkins?

B-Rad November 7, 2011, 09:35:29

I have been to 140 Grateful Dead Shows, 87 Phish shows, and a few dozen post-Dead Dead shows, including a dozen Further shows, and that second set in Portland was the best set of live music I have EVER heard! It was completely insane inside that building… The magic is back and it strikes right into your soul. Happy trails and have fun folks!

Loubert November 7, 2011, 18:57:01

I Believe him Yo!!!! I dont know why but i do…..........

CircleLimit November 7, 2011, 23:28:01

“add another drummer” What? That must be pure nostalgia talking. Russo has got it covered. No need for another drummer, it’s a way tighter engine room now.

dankerator November 8, 2011, 10:03:54

The portland show was friggin great!! Both sets were awesome, no noodeling just killer jams and great segways!!! I have seen further 3 times now and all 3 shows have been very good!!! I guess i picked and chose the good shows!! Venue helps alot too!!!

Charles Brown November 8, 2011, 12:31:16

JKLONE FARCIA......its a put on. JK is the worst choice for guitarist, period. It is anti Grateful Dead to pick the guy who has made a career out of copying Jerry. Evolution happens. Just not in the Furthur? world view. If thats the best you’ve heard dude, then you wernt listening. Bring back Phil and Friends.

Ed Watts November 8, 2011, 19:05:33

As of this show it’s been 9,347 days since last “Day Job” (last performed on 4/4/86 at Hartford Civic Center)...
-Ed
www.rockandrollnerd.wordpress.com

Mountains of Peas November 8, 2011, 21:47:46

Digging on JK et al./current FURTHUR. I hear the call for another drummer too – knock knock knock, clang smash boom boom. Many many ways to keep turning the wheel. Peas!

David November 9, 2011, 16:02:29

Comparing these different off-shoots of the Dead bands is tired because they are different bands. It is too bad JK will never be able to get out of the Jerry/DSO shadow. That being said I would love to see some of the boys step away from the Grateful Dead shadow altogether. John, Joe, Jeff, and Sunshine have something special (and the Red Rocks guest appearance of Chris Robinson was pretty special as well). Regardless, this group is super tight and is putting out great music. Keep it up boys!

Joel November 9, 2011, 16:51:18

I know this is all subjective – Furthur just doesn’t do it for me. I find their “loping” pace boring and DSO blew them away at the Vibes. Perhaps my tastes are changing, but I’m in no rush to go out and see them again.

JKC November 12, 2011, 10:28:20

Please, bring back the Gamble board :-) (OK… maybe a Heritage) The digital “kazoo” vocals I heard at the Verizon were just nasty! They always are ! ( room echos etc. accounted for as per this type of venue…good job keeping the drums down in the mix so as not to overwhelm the sound with concrete cave reflections though! ) first set sound horrible,. second set decent
......DSO at the Hampton Beach casino
Kazoo vocals ( cheesy drum sound as well… digital board….( ironically, a Midas board for monitors )
Same speakers ,same room TOP rockin’ hard… Midas analog board…super sweet show, smooth, crystal clear crisp ( not harsh) warm vocals! just the facts ma’am!

paul urbanski November 14, 2011, 14:08:56

saw this band – and they are some much a real band – last night in Buffalo. Phil and Russo are as incredible a rhythm section as ever assembled. John simply works around that wall of groove. Some of the freshest most amazing Dead music I’ve ever heard. A total non-believer converted!