Published: 2011/11/15

Widespread Panic Takes Action Against Scalpers

Widespread Panic is talking action against scalpers. Tickets to the band’s extremely intimate, final pre-hiatus shows in Atlanta, GA, Denver, CO and Silver Springs, MD will only be available in a paperless non-transferable form. A message from the band reads, “In an effort to ensure fans have secure and convenient access to these event tickets at the original sale price, we will be using Paperless NON-TRANSFERABLE Tickets for Atlanta, Denver and Silver Spring, MD. On Sale is this Friday. Please read the ticketing information on the website carefully. Credit Card sales only. NO CASH SALES. You will NOT receive hard printed tickets in advance.

“You will need your ID and CREDIT CARD USED FOR PURCHASE at the entrance each night to gain admission to the venue. You MUST arrive at the entrance to each show with your entire party (this includes you and all tickets associated with your order – up to 4 total) for everyone to be granted admission at once. More details on the website…”

Panic’s final stateside electric show will take place in Charlotte NC on New Year’s Eve.

Comments

bj November 15, 2011, 17:11:17

way to take a stand panic! other bands need to follow!

Knee Groe Dingo November 15, 2011, 17:21:04

This is just fine for selected events like this, but it will be a threat to personal freedom if this becomes the norm for most events. It would eliminate getting cheap MLB tickets from season ticket holders and would also mean that the only way you could buy a ticket is if you have a valid card. Some of us prefer to use cash as much as possible, as to deal with banks as little as possible. This would be a huge win for banks, who would then attach their planned transaction fees to every purchasee

WillEd11 November 15, 2011, 17:52:26

I think this is a great idea. I always get screwed for Phish tickets… and I have a checking account that has a card attached to it. This would be super easy for me (and by now, I think most of the world). Fuck the scalpers that ruined my NYE by charging so much for Phish tickets.

3po1nt0 November 15, 2011, 17:58:09

so they’re selling up to 4 tix per person in an attempt to curtail scalping? a better strategy would be 2 per person. even more effective would be 1 per however i understand not everyone is able to purchase online at onsale time. regardless, i applaud their stance at trying to get fans in the door at face value.

me November 15, 2011, 18:28:55

Hey Knee… I’ll worry more about you when you don’t come up with rude names, you @zz! While I understand your point about banks… credit is something needed in this country, so if you are responsible, you use your card, and you pay it off BEFORE incurring costs… until I see ALL cards charging you just for having them, you are just a chicken crying about the sky falling… and don’t get me wrong, I’m a fairly liberal person… but as I can’t stand right wing conservative tea party @zzes, I can’t stand their polar opposites either… as for the story, I hope ALL tickets are categorized by the group, team, etc so “regular” tickets have no restrictions, but “tough” tickets have this type of restriction… or similar

john November 16, 2011, 00:45:27

EBay already has scalpers for Atlanta and its not even on sale yet.

Miguel November 16, 2011, 08:22:43

This sounds good, but be prepared for a total clusterf**k trying to get into the venue if they’re going to be checking everyone’s ID/credit cards at the door.

Matthew November 16, 2011, 09:10:50

This is great, but a better plan needs to be put in place. From a venue standpoint (I work at a theater in Upstate NY), this is going to make getting the crowd into the show infinitely more difficult, which means there will likely be a lot of people who miss a good portion of the first set for each of these shows. Even if they push door times ahead by an hour, people will still get there 30 minutes before the show – who wants to stand around listening to house music and drinking $6 beers for two hours? There will be a lot of unhappy people.

Jack November 16, 2011, 10:17:18

I get what WSP is trying to do – I despise scalpers, and hate “legal” scalping through Stub Hub even more because the team/venue gets paid twice for the ticket. That being said – I want my ticket stub! I have every stub from every show I’ve been to since 1989. I can’t stand print at home tickets, let alone not having anything.

Chris November 16, 2011, 10:19:57

Matthew – You have $6 dollar beers? Consider yourself lucky. Venues in DC charge 8 or 9 bucks for a beer. But I agree with your comments otherwise…

steve November 16, 2011, 12:23:11

To those without credit cards, just go buy a preloaded gift card and buy your ticket that way or give your friend cash and have him buy yours. I also keep my ticket stubs and there would have to be something, some kind of reciept that could be saved rather than a stub…I still keep my print at home tickets. I am sure there will be some delay getting into the door but all they are going to do is swipe your card and see if it matches with a purchased ticket- shouldnt take MUCH longer than scanning your hard ticket and checking your ID before letting you in. ID gladly take a little hassle getting in than missing shows or breaking my bank account to get in.

jackstrawdc November 16, 2011, 13:07:30

I’m fine with the concept, but they need to tweak it a bit. For example, if the buyer can no longer attend the show, a friend can still use the tix so long as they are carrying the credit card that paid for it. Or they should allow for refunds if you can’t attend. Things happen and sometimes you can’t make it to a show. That means your seat will sit empty and that’s not cool either.

meanmrmonkey November 17, 2011, 04:26:11

I think it is a great idea and it is not hard to pull off. Tickethorse in the Denver area has been doing it for a while and it works just fine. For anyone to be critical of this idea, they are being ridiculous. Something has to be done to control the scalpers and at least someone is making an effort to solve the problem.

Sfredendall November 18, 2011, 19:35:42

So what happens if a fan ( me and my brother) wants to go to a show, but it’s sold out to fans but sees tickets on eBay and other ticket sites for sale for 3 or 4 times the money. I am willing to pay to go to one of these shows but I cant even buy them because I couldn’t use them anyway. If there is anyone going to the Denver show that has 2 3-day passes for me and my brother I would pay a premium. Cause it looks like the scalpers are still buying and selling at a higher cost. I would rather pay and fill the seats with fans than see an empty seat!!!

Moerose November 26, 2011, 12:13:22

This worked fine when I saw John Mayer. No one missed any music and the line was only held up by checking backpacks/purses and the like. It’ll be fine.

Jason November 28, 2011, 17:52:09

I want to be able to sell, give away or do what ever I want with my MY tickets. I paid the price and now I should be able to do whatever I want with the tickets. I dont want to be inconvenienced when entering the venue. I dont want to wait for my little brother and his girlfriend to show up because WE have to go in the show TOGETHER. Scalper are still going to buy and sell at higher prices. What is paperless tickets solving?

Craig December 6, 2011, 14:33:08

While this is a great effort on the bands part, scalpers go to all lengths, up to and including buying prepaid gift cards to make the purchase, sell them on stub hub and send you the prepaid gift card for ticket redemption. The problem is stub hub and or any legalized scalping site.

Setzer February 13, 2012, 14:03:08

BACK FIRE! I appreciate that my favorite band tried to take a stand against scalpers but…. I know many people that paid $300+ for tickets. oops! What was wrong with mail order first come first serve. Seemed to be better than the way this wood tour ticket sales went down.

Mauar April 24, 2012, 04:07:20

Yes, it’s called excsesing’ the ticket. Go to the ticket office first, and tell them you’d like to excess your off-peak into an anytime ticket, they’ll charge you the difference and give you another ticket detailing the extra you’ve paid sometimes they will staple it to your original ticket for you. You can also do it on the train, but if you’ve boarded at a staffed station you technically have to do it at the station first the guard does have discretion to excess your ticket on the train, but is also perfectly within his or her rights to make you buy a new ticket at full rate, because if you get on a peak train with an off-peak ticket, you’re technically travelling without a (valid) ticket.You can also excess’ a ticket to carry on to a destination further than you originally intended, or to upgrade it from a super off-peak to an off-peak, or standard class to first class you get the picture.

Jofus July 23, 2013, 15:37:22

This could work if there is an option to receive a paper ticket in the mail that CAN be transferred. Perhaps an extra $1 per ticket charge could be made for the costs of mailing a paper ticket.