Published: 2011/12/13

The Rolling Stones to Pay for Hubert Sumlin’s Funeral

Photo by Dino Perrucci

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards can’t seem to agree on much these days but the Rolling Stones leaders will come together to help pay for Hubert Sumlin’s funeral. According to an article in The New York Times, Jagger and Richards picked up the tab as a thank you to the former Howlin’ Wolf guitarist, who inspired their blues-rock sound.

Sumlin’s partner Toni Ann publicly thanked the Stones and also offered the following thoughts on Sumlin’s website:

Our dear friends… It is with a heavy heart that the worse has come to fruition. My little Hubert is living the life of a real angel. I’m overwhelmed with grief and so I really need to pull myself together. I’d really appreciate it if you would kindly respect our privacy during this most difficult time.

I love you Hubert. You are eternally etched in my heart. And my life is not only richer and blessed for who you’ve been to me, but the world over. And I will never be the same because of you. May you be forever in God’s beautiful grace.

I’ll spend the rest of my days loving and cherishing all you are and were to me.

The members of the Rolling Stones are reportedly deep in talks on their proposed 50th anniversary celebration. The celebratory run may include former members Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman, in addition to the group’s current lineup.

Comments

bill fitzgerald December 13, 2011, 02:34:21

FitzGeralds is hosting a post burial tribute concert/ jam starting at 7:00 pm.Bob margolin is hosting a growing list of musicians including big head Todd ,lil ed ,billy branch,Eddie shaw ,ronnie brooks,and many more all listed on club Facebook

Sam December 13, 2011, 09:13:42

Though Sumlin played on maybe one Muddy record, he was Howlin’ Wolf’s guitarist for more than 20 years. His tone and style grabbed the listener by the throat and squeezed…

mpmusicjunkie December 13, 2011, 09:16:49

we’ve lost a great blues hero, but he’s mostly known as Howlin’ Wolf’s guitarist, they had a father-son relationship, come on jambands he only had a brief stint with Muddy.

Buzz December 13, 2011, 13:41:02

So sad to hear of Hubert’s passing, He was looking and sounding great last Jan. w/ Big Head Blues Club, now Honeyboy and Hubert can jam again .

Joe December 13, 2011, 15:05:58

So lucky I saw him at the Crossroads festival, amazing. The Stones are 100% blues guys, imagine how many time Sumlin and others put them up when they were banned from hotels in the south. Amazing guys this shows you all (Mainly Mick) still has a heart. Please 50th anniversary come and go with the blues

Nick December 13, 2011, 17:45:15

I love you guys, Go Glimmer Twins. Teach Oboma, How too Run the Government. Mick jagger for President.! Go Mick.. Go Strut your stuff mick. Tell the Yanks how too do this Corectley.