Published: 2012/01/25

Widespread Panic Opens Wood Tour

Widespread Panic kicked off their final tour before an extended hiatus at Silver Spring, MD’s Fillmore last night. Part of the group’s Wood Tour, the show found the group performing entirely acoustic. For this run, keyboardist JoJo Hermann even played a pump organ.

The Wood Tour is the final leg of Panic’s extended 25th anniversary celebration so it makes sense that last night’s show featured some bust outs (the band also played in a stripped down format during their Sit n Ski tour in 1996 as part of their 10th anniversary run). Partway through their first set, the members of Panic jumped into their Ball original—and onetime staple—“Fishing” for the first time since November 29, 2008. A few songs later, the group also busted off another post-Michael Houser original, “Free Somehow,” for the first time since October 28, 2008.

Despite being an acoustic show, the group performed several segues throughout the show, including a run from “St. Louis” into “Clinic Cynic” in set one as well as an extended jam that pushed the group throughout their hour-long second set.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist from PanicStream.com and how it appears in our Box Scores section

Set 1: This Part of Town > Worry, Fishing (^), St Louis > Clinic Cynic > Wondering, Free Somehow (*), Genesis > Holden Oversoul

Set 2: From The Cradle, Can’t Get High, Gimme, Degenerate > Pilgrims > Travelin Man > Saint Ex > JAM > Driving Song > JAM > Driving Song > Breathing Slow > City of Dreams

E: None Of Us Are Free, May Your Glass Be Filled, Walkin’

(^) LTP 11/29/08
(*) LTP 10/28/08

Comments

Will January 25, 2012, 11:53:12

I was in Athens in the early 90’s and probably seen the band 200+ times. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the memories and the good times. All good things must pass and I truly hate to say goodbye. Good luck in the future and PEACE.

William January 25, 2012, 12:27:53

I was in Athens in the early 80’s and probably seen the band 300+ times. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the memories and the good times. All good things must pass and I truly hate to say goodbye. Good luck in the future and PEACE.

makersandh2o January 25, 2012, 13:15:05

Couldn’t make the 2012 run here, but looking forward to 2013! Have fun!

timmy January 25, 2012, 13:39:17

I would love to see one of these acoustic shows. I only saw them “unplugged” once in Austin back in ’03. Looks like a pretty awsome setlist. They’ll be back eventually. They just need to stretch their wings a little bit. Hopefully their great albums aren’t behind them. “Ball” was their last exceptional one.

Scott Baxendale January 25, 2012, 19:00:49

Look for Jimmy Herring his new Baxendale Custom Superlative guitar.

Andy January 26, 2012, 16:53:49

I thought the show was mediocre at best and it probably had a lot to do with the venue. In my opinion, the Fillmore venue is downright awful. About 2/3 of the balcony is reserved/VIP seating. You cant really see the band when you’re on the floor and the venue was PACKED. The floor was crowded and the entire venue feels like a cheap rip off the the 930 club. If you were not in the VIP section or in the middle of the packed floor the sound was pretty muddled (and it wasnt School’s bass). Standing on concrete all night sucks.. Its doubtful I will ever see another show at the Fillmore again or Silver Spring for that matter. As for WSP...good luck and enjoy the hiatius.