Published: 2012/01/26

Widespread Panic Offers New Material On Final Pre-Hiatus Tour

Despite being on their final tour before an indefinite hiatus, Widespread Panic debuted a new cover at Silver Spring, MD’s Fillmore last night. During their second set, Panic segued from their ’90s radio single “Airplane” into a first time cover of The Beatles’ “Ballad Of John & Yoko.” The performance was part of the group’s acoustic Wood Tour. A night earlier at the venue, Panic surprised fans by busting out a few latter day songs they had not played since 2008. The Wood Tour will continue in Atlanta, GA tomorrow.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores section via PanicStream

Set I: Ain’t Life Grand (*), Blue Indian, Coach > Ride Me High > C. Brown, Old Joe > Party At Your Mama’s House (That Thang) > Stop Breakin’ Down Blues, Jack, Makes Sense Yo Me

Set II: Let’s Get The Show On The Road, Shut Up and Drive, Tickle The Truth, True To My Nature, Space Wrangler, Don’t Be Denied, Airplane > Ballad Of John & Yoko (^), Mercy, Imitation Leather Shoes

E: Trouble, Are You Ready For The Country ?, Climb To Safety

(*) JB on mandolin
(^) first time played

Comments

Rob S. January 26, 2012, 12:12:11

No offense, but Jebus these guys have been stretching this ‘We’re going on hiatus’ thing for like a year now. Every time I think “Too bad ‘spread’s on hiatus,” I see another article like this and I realize, ‘not yet…’

timmy January 26, 2012, 14:09:45

Well, if you bothered to check, “The Wood Tour” is a small acoustic tour that wraps up in February. Then, the hiatus begins.

makersandh2o January 26, 2012, 15:24:07

They’re doing it to completely do 25yrs. Their 1st show was in mid-Feb…25yrs ago >:o)

Dave January 26, 2012, 19:18:09

The boys sound great acoustic, love hearing Jimmy play the wood! Wish I could have scored Tix to ATL.

Gaithersburg Spreadhead January 26, 2012, 20:46:59

Fantastic show last night!!! Thanks for making it back thru DC, fellas. May your all’s glass be “filled”, for years and years to come. Thanks for 25 years of good times!

yomama January 27, 2012, 10:43:18

Feb 1986 – Feb 2012 is 26 years, not 25.

dragen January 27, 2012, 13:48:20

Widespread rule and bring on the HHHEEAATTT!!! They ain’t doing no hatus. I talked to J.Bell oof WPS and he told me that it’s a hoxe. They be truckin and on forever!! SUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragen January 27, 2012, 13:49:11

They started in 87 dude. I seen there first show and it was 1987. Thats 26 years yo!

starkey January 28, 2012, 20:17:24

they actually had their first real gig in 86 at the mad hatter in athens (the site of the classic center now) and that’s where they had their 25th Anniversary last February….