Published: 2012/02/02

Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson to Release Thick As A Brick 2

Following the recent announcement of a tour commemorating the 40th anniversary of Jethro Tull’s Thick As A Brick, guitarist Ian Anderson will release a sequel to the original album on April 3.

Thick As A Brick was released in 1972 and went on to reach number one on the Billboard Chart. The lyrics to the album’s title track were credited at the time to the fictitious child character, Gerald Bostock, whose parents supposedly lied about his age. On Thick As A Brick 2, Anderson picks up the tale 40 years later by examining the the latter half of Gerald Bostock’s life. According to a statement from Anderson:

“As we baby-boomers look back on our own lives, we must often feel an occasional ‘what-if’ moment. Might we, like Gerald, have become instead preacher, soldier, down-and-out, shopkeeper or finance tycoon?” Adding, “And those of more tender years – the social media and internet generation – may choose to ponder well the myriad of chance possibilities ahead of them at every turn…..”

For the first time since 1972, Anderson and fellow musicians John O’Hara (keyboards), David Goodier (bass), Florian Opahle (guitar) and Scott Hammond (drums) will take to the road to perform the original album in its entirety. In addition, there will be a second part to the show where Anderson and the band will also perform the sequel. See below for the full Thick As A Brick 2 tracklisting.

Thick As A Brick 2 Tracklist
14. A Change Of Horses
15. Confessional
16. Kismet In Suburbia
17. What-ifs, Maybes And Might-have-beens

Comments

me February 2, 2012, 18:25:42

That’s pretty ballsy of Anderson… rips off Jethro’s album, writes a new one based on material he stole and sets up a tour to play both, and he doesn’t even invite Tull to join in? WTF... well, I hope Jethro tours too… he’ll be in outdoor sheds while Anderson will be playing dive bars…. He’ll probably call the tour “Another Brick in the Wall” too!

cosmicbein February 2, 2012, 20:26:02

Sorry for your anger son,i think you will be happy to know that jethro tull will be on the tour,you see jethro tull is the name of the band,ian anderson is the lead singer of jethro tull

DrasticJasper February 2, 2012, 20:35:57

Uhhhh yeah he was the singer and flute player not the guitarist that was martin barre I think who got busted for getting all cross eyed mary with the little girls although andersen did occasionally play some acoustic and Jethro Tull was the name of a band and an old farmer not a member

mygod February 2, 2012, 22:15:17

The Tull RULES!!! Ian is tripping about getting old and if you ever seen these guys in there prime youd know why.. WOW!! acid freak out to the Max! Try youtube and see the LEG FLY!! Gimme that old sunday feeling

Martin Legg February 2, 2012, 23:16:29

A “Tull” band without Martin Barre, playing a classic record that Martin played on, is NOT Jethro Tull. I just don’t get it. I think Ian has lost his mind. (this from a HUGE fan from day one)

me February 3, 2012, 10:43:17

Ohhh, thanks cosmic… Now I get it… do you? ;^) Some days are tough… and I need to make myself smile… even with the weakest of humor… but, ya gotta admit… “Another Brick in the Wall too” that is pure humor through and through… back to work…

Galeans February 3, 2012, 11:45:15

Stole from who? Gerald Bostock is a FICTIONAL caratcher.

me February 3, 2012, 12:40:43

Galeans… assuming you’re referring to me, it was all a joke… apparently one that only humored myself… Maybe if Jethro Tull and Lynyrd Skynyrd toured together, more people would appreciate my humor… then again, maybe not %^D