Published: 2012/02/09

Grateful Dead Legacy Celebrated with Definitive Visual Anthology

On April 17 Shout! Factory and Rhino Entertainment will release a 14-DVD Grateful Dead box set titled All The Years Combine: The DVD Collection. The definitive visual anothology will include 12 concert films, a 40-page booklet containing rare photos and new liner notes by Blair Jackson and all bonus features from previous releases of the DVDs in the set.

As a special treat for fans, it also includes an exclusive bonus disc containing five previously unreleased live performances from the Grateful Dead archive, Backstage Pass, the 1992 documentary directed by Justin Kreutzmann, and a brand-new interview with Grateful Dead archivist David Lemieux.

Included in All The Years Combine: The DVD Collection are The Grateful Dead Movie, The Closing Of Winterland, Dead Ahead, Truckin’ Up To Buffalo, Ticket To New Year’s, Downhill From Here, View From The Vault, View From The Vault Vol. 2, View From The Vault Vol. 3, View From The Vault Vol. 4, and So Far, a 1987 film that has previously only been available on VHS and laserdisc.

Fans who preorder All the Years Combine: The DVD Collection directly from Shout! Factory will receive an exclusive bumper sticker with their order, while supplies last. Read more about the box set here.

To celebrate this great news, we’ve posted the animated intro to The Grateful Dead Movie for your viewing pleasure.

Comments

Dan S. February 9, 2012, 17:26:52

No Blu-ray? Disappointing…

Barb February 9, 2012, 17:56:35

Already have these …..might consider up grading to Blue Ray ….but getting a little tired of the repacking of the same ole same ole ….they have lots of unreleased vids ….why not release them instead ? Sunshine day dream anyone?

pugdog February 9, 2012, 18:01:05

DVD No blu-ray option WTF is the point? I don’t understand why it’s taking sooooo long (for a band that generally was ahead of the technology curve) to adapt to the times…it’s highly frustrating. This release looks like a money-grab to me…unkind.

Pete February 9, 2012, 18:39:53

I can’t keep buying the same releases over and over just for a few bonus items. They do this with the CDs, now with the DVDs. But wait…a free bumper sticker? Now it’s worth the money!

Chris February 9, 2012, 18:54:29

So lame. Why not release something new I havent seen a million times. All about the money.

Scott February 9, 2012, 19:07:23

Really-that is outrageous-no additional stuff at all-no offense guys but So Far is not all that appealing-the live video is from my least favorite NYE-weak and a cool animation video. I can’t believe they don’t have something else to work with. Hey-how’s about sharing the GD Through The Years DVD from Scrapbook release, considering I am sure that that didn’t sell well. Those of us with videos keep hoping and believing there is something else but I guess not much. For those who don’t know that DVD contains the 67 Nelson short, Hurts Me Too from Europe (why not release the hour many have), Estimated 11/24/78 Capitol (we know the whole thing is out there), a Radio City China Rider, a New Years run Scarlet Fire (huh-no more?) and finally 7/9/89 three song opener-Shake, etc. I have never been negative about the GD but this is a marketing misstep and a gouge.

ship-of-rhinos February 9, 2012, 19:58:44

Does it include VHS?

John February 9, 2012, 20:05:58

Are these blu-ray?

Steve February 9, 2012, 22:37:00

Been waiting for a Sunshine Daydream DVD release, but I will have to wait. Why not anything new? At least make it a blu-ray so that the people that own all of these movies can at least watch the same movies in better quality.

Kip February 10, 2012, 10:06:56

Free bumpersticker, hell ya! Come on.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan February 10, 2012, 09:23:54

If you don’t want it, don’t buy it. For all that stuff, $100 is a very reasonable price.

Chucky cheese string February 10, 2012, 10:40:41

Driving that “money” train – high on ripping us – Can’t you release something we haven’t seen? Money ahead – money behind – and why buy these videos I have seen a hundred times?!

Henry Shpiruk February 10, 2012, 17:16:24

You know there has to be hours upon hours of footage especially from all those stadium shows that were shown on huge screens on the sides of the stage…. Come on boys 8 bought every single one of those separately which I still have with the exception of So Far after it got eaten in my VCR.. New shows please !!!!!

Henry Shpiruk February 10, 2012, 17:18:31

Hank February 10, 2012, 17:18:58

Hank February 10, 2012, 17:19:28

Shaun February 12, 2012, 15:11:45

So Hank… Whatever happened to that So Far tape you used to have? :-) Anyhow, I have about half of the DVDs in this set, so even with the bonus stuff I can’t see myself dropping the cash for this (OOOH! A bumper sticker! Well, in that case…). And why no blu-rays? Any chance these are going get re-released individually? I would like to get So Far on a DVD or blu-ray. Actually, putting both that and Backstage Pass together on one disc would’ve been a good idea. More sensible than putting “Pass” on a bonus DVD I will likely never get since I doubt it’ll be available outside of the boxed set.

Kenny February 12, 2012, 19:05:24

I won’t be buying this, considering I have half of these on DVD anyways. I want to see another release from anytime in the 70’s or very early 80’s, there has to be some good footage from these years kicking around

Satpal Kalsi February 13, 2012, 11:38:35

Is this really career spanning?

DK February 13, 2012, 14:09:31

Repacked retreads, how lame. How about the Playboy vid, some of that sick Europe 72 stuff thats all over youtube. How about some Summer ’89 footage (direct feed vid with no cheesy effects, anyone?)
Truckin up to Buffalo is just the tip of the iceberg of one of the last great tours “The Boys” did. Come on GDP, you’re better than this.

ship-of-rhinos February 13, 2012, 15:24:28

I get a vibe this is more of a “Shout” and “Rhino” venture considering Dead.net isn’t (at this moment) promoting the release…either they’re embarrassed by it or aren’t as involved. With that said, either way GDP definitely has some say in this and any release…I find it bizarre they’re not even selling the box set on Dead.net…no mention of it whatsoever. Hmmmm (~);}

LED February 14, 2012, 18:22:49

For $100 it’s a steal. A lot of these vids are out of print so for those who weren’t lucky enough to aquire them in the first place it’s a nice little spring gift. Shame about the exclusives but there has to be some selling point for the diehard-need-to-have-it-all types.

MalcolmO February 15, 2012, 21:54:09

Well, I’m the exception. I don’t have most of these (have 2 Vault releases) and am well and truly keen to cough up $100 to get all of them. Thanks, Rhino.

boris February 16, 2012, 01:05:58

For a legacy they should have had at least one show with the Riders

CosmicKC March 21, 2012, 17:12:14

I agree with most of what I’m reading here. Seem’s unkind to repack the same old stuff and pass it off to us as “something new.” Although, Having So Far and Backstage Pass on DVD is a huge plus. As for Blu-Ray? Almost all of this was recorded on Video tape that was strictly Standard Definition. Transferring to Blu-Ray doesn’t make sense. (Probably only would be good for The Grateful Dead Movie to be transferred to Blu-Ray because it was filmed on film and there is a lot more resolution and detail that might benefit from Blu-Ray?)