Published: 2012/02/16

Johnny Winter Confirms Documentary Filming

A definitive Johnny Winter documentary is confirmed to be in the works with filmmaker Greg Olliver at the helm. Oliver, whose credits include co-directing and producing the critically acclaimed documentary Lemmy, will shadow the iconic bluesman throughout 2012. The theatrical release of the documentary is planned for 2013.

“I grew up in Texas listening to the blues, so making a film with Johnny is a dream come true for me,” says Olliver. “And since there aren’t many blues icons left out there, I feel very honored to be working with him. His is a story that needs to be told!”

The Johnny Winter documentary will be filmed throughout 2012 and produced by Olliver’s company, Secret Weapon Films.

Watch Winter’s recent performance on Letterman below.

Comments

Derek M. Theriault February 16, 2012, 22:32:30

Johnny is the coolest and I can’t wait to have the movie that Johnny himself helped to make. Wtg guys. keep on keepin’ on!

Anthony Francis February 16, 2012, 22:41:20

Great to hear….I can’t wait to see it….J.W. is still the man….....

peter killeen February 16, 2012, 23:17:26

seen him 10 times in TO ONT CANADA wish it was 100 blew the lid off masseyhall the dome the gardens the pheonix ontario place and more amust watch documentary
thankyou to all involved
keep up the great work

robin February 16, 2012, 23:31:26

You da Man, man

jeff Sifuentes February 16, 2012, 23:54:53

Seen Johnny 37 times from east coast to west and my favorite thing that attracted me to Johnnys playin was how his leads are rarely planned. He takes you to the edge of a cliff and almost loses it and then reels you right back in with more furious pickin.He becomes his instument like only a handful of players (Allman, Hendrix,.Santana could do. Lookin so foward to this project…

Orville Weale February 19, 2012, 21:07:49

I just saw him on Mountain Stage in Morgantown WV. It was so loud many regulars left early (usually acoustic shows). He played about 40 minutes and the energy level was very high the whole time. He is still the best in vocals and guitar for that genre. No one comes close IMAO. So many years of entertaining people, it’s such a blessing to have artists like him in my life for so long.

Mark Reinfandt Cooperative shark tagging February 22, 2012, 14:56:10

Was listening to Johnny way back when all my friends in high school listened to Van Halen, Ozzy, etc. They thought I was a kook but to me blues ruled!

thomas knutson February 22, 2012, 15:46:45

grew up 90 miles from beaumont, seen him many times, small and large shows. always great ! hope to see him many more years. keep on rockin the blues, johnny

Linda Armstrong February 23, 2012, 05:22:54

Johnny Winter and Dust My Broom!!! My favourite combination. Fantastic! Cant wait for the documentary. X

anon February 23, 2012, 05:53:33

Happy Birthday Johnny!!!
Good Health, Happiness, Prosperity and Salvation to you Bro.! February 23rd, 2012 February 23rd, 1943

Louie triozzi February 27, 2012, 18:00:27

I’m looking forward to seening it for sure, go johnny go!!!!!!

Joseph Ted Franks February 27, 2012, 19:54:07

I know Johnny Winter is one of the best, guitar blues & rock players I ever heard bar none. I cant wait to see the film I hope they show hwy 61 revisited live.

Rob Mossinkoff February 28, 2012, 02:47:15

I can’t wait to see this movie…! I am a JW fan since I was 13 years old in 1970. I met Johnny for the first time in 1979 and many times since then. Johnny, you are still the best.

pietro jokiheimo February 28, 2012, 06:31:12

good long career musik workers

pietro jokiheimo February 28, 2012, 06:35:51

Johnny winter bring fan page good what usa have offer turist peoples,place like
house of blues and musik history name,
thear eurooppa like look what mayby is usa.

Guitar Shop TV August 3, 2012, 15:46:06

Guitar Shop TV is giving a way 2 free VIP passes to see Johnny Winter at Beekman’s Beer Garden in NYC on August 8th – http://bit.ly/JWVIPTIX