Published: 2012/02/24

Jaik Miller Passes Away

Singer/guitarist Jaik Miller, who is best known as the frontman of Xanax 25, has died. The cause of his death is believed to be a heart attack. Miller co-founded the New York-based Xanax 25 in 1991 and remained with the group through their 1997 break-up. The jam-friendly alt-rock group—famously dubbed “wusscore” by music journalist Neil Straus—was a staple on the New York club circuit throughout the mid-90s and frequented clubs like Wetlands and Nightingale’s. Xanax 25 also toured nationally and appeared on H.O.R.D.E. Miller and the band shared the stage with a diverse mix of artists over the years, including Son Volt, John Popper, Me’Shell Nd’geocello, King Crimson and Dave Matthews Band. Miller also had a close friendship with Warren Haynes—with whom he co-wrote some music—and collaborated on songs with members of Brazilian Girls, Patti Smith Band and Elijah Blue Allman’s DEADSY.

In 2005, Miller formed TRUStY, who recorded a demo with Playmakers’ Matt Stein that included appearances by onah Smith, Cardinals guitarist JP Bowersock, Meghan Andrews and RAQ’s Todd Stoops. In 2007, the re-focused group changed their name to the Jaik Miller Band and settled on a lineup that includes Bowersock, Max Tucker (drums), Garth MacAleavey (guitar/keyboards) and Craig Robison (bass). According to their homepage, the band went on to jam with members of Robert Randolph’s Family Band, AC/DC , John Entwistle Band, Uncle Earl, RAQ, Blues Traveler, The Mammals and Los Amigos Invisibles . They have appeared with Fishbone, Tim Reynolds, The Commitments, Adam Dietch Project, Suzanne Vega, Murphy’s Law, Richie Havens, DJ Logic, Sad Red, Eenor, Jazz Mandolin Project, David Gans, Eric McFadden Trio, Bassnectar vs. Kang, The Mutaytor, Ike Willis’ Project/Object, Hunt Club, TRiM, Donna Jean, Easy Dub Allstars, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Vinyl, Bernie Worrell, Novillero, DJs Haj and Mikio (founders of Sub Swara and Freek Factory), Jen Durkin’s Bomb Squad, Rahzel of The Roots, Strangefolk, Spin Doctors’ Chris Barron and many others.

Comments

Pete February 24, 2012, 18:06:15

We will miss you man! Thanks for all the great times, We will all see you again. Peace!

peter February 24, 2012, 18:24:11

love you jaiky. heart is breaking.

Billy Iuso February 24, 2012, 18:27:22

Jaik and i have been Friends for 20 years when we Met i was in Brides of Jesus and he was in Xanax 25 we played Many gigs together and after 15 years apart we began writing with each other So Glad We Did When we are Both Gone our Songs will last Forever …. Raise Up In Praise of Love Sweet Love !!! Trippin over Dragons !!!!!! Miss ya Buddy !!

greg martens February 24, 2012, 18:35:04

city rain …..

Hilary February 24, 2012, 18:54:57

JAIK......:( Broken Hearted! Such a Talent!

Cosmos February 24, 2012, 18:58:48

Jaik and I were brothers in arms. Sometimes far away and sometimes so close, like we were jealous siblings. I cannot believe my friend is gone. My heart will never beat quite the same. Go Team Angel Dog.

Buzzy Krist February 24, 2012, 19:08:52

I will miss your laughter and kind spirit, You have shed light on all of us..My last hug with you at Brooklyn Bowl last month, I will always remember your performance that night,,,real rockstar ,and I said that to you, the powerful voice is ringing in my ears!!

Dave February 24, 2012, 19:14:31

I only knew Jaik for a short time, but his spirit And élan were infective. His presence will be sorely missed.

Dana February 24, 2012, 19:23:28

So so sad….I went through school with Jaik….he was one of the kindekindest people I have ever known….it is such a loss…I remember him always singing, and his great smile RIP

KC February 24, 2012, 19:35:52

I am so happy to have been a part of so many magical nights of music with Jaik . Everytime he played with anyone of his many projects…..... I was moved by his soul ! He will always have a special place in my heart …........ The world is a different place without him walking in it ….. I will miss you Jaik E

Leslie February 24, 2012, 20:02:25

A beautiful melancholy tune sang by someone who loved and was loved by so many. His soul comes through in his eyes and it tells a wondrous
I am thankful to call him a dear friend.

Jess February 24, 2012, 20:42:37

So sad to hear today Jaik has left us. He gave so much to all of us he knew, and artistically to everyone. How lucky are we really, that his music can live on. Lucky, I was I one of the many people blessed enough to spend time with Jaik. Those of us who did know how lucky we were. With out a doubt your irreplaceable man RIP jaiky… Hope your getting your boogie love now.

Jena Kraus February 24, 2012, 20:44:13

I will miss you always Jaik. You lived and rocked and bared your whole soul, just the way it should be. Go Team Angel Dog and give em a big ol hug for me. Xx ;’(

Jennifer Rudolph February 24, 2012, 21:47:27

What a gentle soul. You will be greatly missed

Carolina De Luca February 24, 2012, 22:01:12

Jaik,
you were a brother and a great talent and too smart for your own good.
You will be sorely missed by us all.
Give our love to Polly and Angeldog.
Travel light.
Peace,
Carolina

Sasha February 24, 2012, 22:45:15

Jaik, I have known you so ong I barely remember when we met. We were always, just, both there. All my love. Peace.

doobie groover February 24, 2012, 23:31:03

What a huge loss. My thoughts and prayers, although it still doesn’t seem real, are with Jaik’s family blood & otherwise. Not a preacher or saying what anyone should believe in their heart but he has just gone to jam heaven. His heroes will now be his crew, just mates in a special space where music and art merge and Jaik has nothing left to do but grin and jam in D. He’s joined kind souls like Jerry & Bobby in a better place bear hugging Tim Vega. Music is peace, and Jaik will jam on in a world we can all aspire to have passes or pay to be a grateful listener…. -tg/otrtc

Arielle JSA February 24, 2012, 23:32:58

Safe travels, Dear Soul. You are already sorely missed, my Friend. God Bless. I hope you and Boogie are reunited in Shamayim, in joy!

jorge February 25, 2012, 00:48:07

Jaik we all love you, and will surely miss your warm and friendly heart. You’re in good hands now.

Dan Levy February 25, 2012, 01:04:24

Jaik was a beautiful cat. I will miss him. Just thinking of him reminds me of happy times.

Laird February 25, 2012, 07:08:38

Jaik….I am stunned speechless…have a safe journey my old friend and we’ll see you on the other side….scary dreams fade.

Jamie Mac (lb.) February 25, 2012, 09:11:19

Always passionate, always turning it to 11. I learned a lot about life from Jaik. There is a now a big hole where he once was…

Hayley February 25, 2012, 09:54:09

Jaik your star is shining brightly in my heart. I bet your mom, Polly and Boogie were there to greet you with hugs and kisses. I am just so sad I won’t get another one of those amazing hugs in this life again. Godspeed and rest well my friend.

joshua SOLSON February 25, 2012, 10:00:22

RIP JAIK MLLER . . far to young NYC Son . .

Jon February 25, 2012, 10:27:34

Goodbye dear friend. So glad we reconnected in the 10 years I was back in NYC. So many fun shows, so many locations. I will always smile thinking of your permanent smile. Say hi to Dave for me please.

John Martorelli February 25, 2012, 12:54:43

R I P Jaik you’ll missed by all
I hear you in my head right now
Singing on top of your lungs
City Rain

Jack Tar February 25, 2012, 13:07:35

Such a great inspiration who always gave 100%.

Greg Koerner February 25, 2012, 15:31:30

What a huge talent and generous soul Jaik was – he will clearly be deeply missed.

little jimi February 25, 2012, 21:24:15

Big love …. Big spirit.

gertrude February 25, 2012, 21:53:51

Dearest Jaik, I know you can hear me. This is your cousin Gertrude.My mom and brother are devastated. You were so kind to my dad during his lifetime,— he loved you dearly— and so good to us at his funeral. Your dog was amazing, and I could easily see you were best friends— she was really a person, not a dog. You gave her the best life anyone could wish for, and you gave her great happiness.You were always big hearted, open minded,sensitive, perceptive, non – judgmental, a great listener, and kind. How sad that you lost your sweet, sweet mother, and sweet, sweet sister, Polly.Our thoughts are with your wonderful dad,and the rest of your family, who must be heartbroken.
Sing on, cousin!! I guess they needed a new voice in heaven’s choir.I am sure you are with your mom, Polly and Boogie now, making beautiful music together.God bless you all.

gertrude February 25, 2012, 22:38:17

Dear Jaik, Gertrude here again. I re- read my email to you — I forgot to write that I am devsasted too.God bless you!

Cosmos February 26, 2012, 06:35:58

Hi all. Here is a link to the Xanax 25 reunion show at last year’s Dave Nolan tribute at Brooklyn Bowl. It was taped and edited by Joe Johnson. Thanks Joe. It was a blessing that they got it together for two final gigs, this and the previous one at Nightingale. It was a privilege to watch, listen and play at both gigs. Apparently, you need to set up an account to watch… Enjoy and feel Jaik’s love, for it is all around us. http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96345

E Style February 26, 2012, 09:44:18

If you were descending upon my home, the door would be open. If you have a thought, put it on my tongue. The words will be spoken. I now have another angel behind the clouds. Give Lock and Boogie a kiss for me. We’ll jam together again someday. Keep smiling and sweating. I love you, Bro.
E

brian Shebairo February 26, 2012, 09:55:38

had many fun filled nights with your voice in my head not much in life puts a smile on my face then your voice i will miss you always big b

E Style February 26, 2012, 09:56:08

E

brian sweig February 26, 2012, 17:56:51

rip Jaik. knew him since the late 80’s and he always amazed me for one reason or another. he is now with polly, and mom

Pete Kovachevich February 27, 2012, 14:03:39

“You never know when its your time to go, but aint it a shame if you go too soon…” TOO SOON AMIGO...RIP

Ethan Diness February 27, 2012, 16:23:29

Jaik,I will develop and dedicate an entire menu for you and miss you every day.

Jori February 27, 2012, 19:27:11

Saint Everlasting. My brother and my heartspace. ONS. I see you. PKTppy

Jori February 27, 2012, 19:32:24

It seems only listening to his music is filling the huge hole in my heart today. All gratitude for the link Cos Sunshine posted above.

martin March 2, 2012, 16:09:34

You will be greatly missed. RIP

Jennifer Mulholland March 5, 2012, 17:24:30

missin u

kyle March 15, 2012, 20:10:19

The spirit of music is strong because of Jaik Miller. HIs voice was pure and spirit soaring. He forever resides in the inner sanctum of my musical journeys. Energy Light Love MUSIC.

John Louis Lassen Perry April 2, 2012, 23:16:17

Hey Jaik; Long strange trip, eh? I remember shooting you and the guys at Nightingales back in the day, your dog, your oddball humor, scrounging cash enough for some drinks and fun. Hanging with my sister Kirsten, the LE side crowd and the assorted miscreants back in the day when we were all so young. Rest in peace. Catch you on the flip side.

Dave Masucci February 18, 2013, 07:35:04

Last night was a wonderful tribute to our friend JAIK @Brooklyn Bowl… there was MUCH love in the room to honor this genuinely great human being. Fabulous music was performed; I’m sure he’d be proud & thankful for the memorial. Miss ya, Buddy