Published: 2012/02/29

Dickey Betts Makes Official Statement on Grammy Absence

Dickey Betts has officially commented on his decision not to attend the Grammy Awards earlier this month. The guitarist originally announced that he would accept his Lifetime Achievement Grammy with the members of The Allman Brothers Band but never showed up to receive his honor. In a statement posted on his official homepage via his manager, Betts confirmed the following:

....in the end, Dickey decided to stay home

The Allman Brothers Band was honored by the Grammys with a lifetime achievement award. Alongside fellow legends Diana Ross and Glen Campbell (among others), the ABB, including original members Gregg Allman, Butch Trucks and Jaimoe, with Duane Allman’s daughter Galliandra, Barry Oakley Jr., keyboardist Chuck Leavell, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes and other current members took the stage to accept their awards. At the last minute, Dickey called me and asked if I would represent and accept his award. Long thought and many conversations brought him to this decision. He called me just prior to emphasize the fact that he wanted no excuses made about it. He wasn’t sick, he didn’t miss a plane, he simply decided not to attend. He wanted me to, first and foremost, thank his fans for staying him through all the ups and downs. He asked me to thank Bill Graham for believing in the Brothers. He said to thank Phil Walden for getting them started and producers Tom Dowd and Johnny Sandlin for keeping them going. It was a great evening. He was certainly missed. A couple of the Brothers even called Dickey to share the moment. He really appreciated the honor, he really cherishes the memories, but in the end, Dickey decided to stay home.

David Spero.
Dickey’s manager

Comments

Capt. Bandit February 29, 2012, 17:51:13

Weak Sauce. Stop being so butt hurt and get over it.

brian March 1, 2012, 00:17:14

You know I would’ve stayed home too… bullshit in my opinion the Grammy’s thought to honor the Brothers, a band best known for their live performances and not even offer them 4 minutes to play a song on the actual award show.

Fuck The ALLMANS March 1, 2012, 08:29:14

Dickey is the man. Fuck’em all..you kiss gregs hepititis ass Capt. Butt Bandit.I hope you understand..Hes born a ramblin man..Thats rock and roll.NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE45 minute POINTLESS solos that burgerking smelling warren plays or that fucking indian sounding slide guitar from Derek..ITS OVER

Michael March 1, 2012, 08:34:49

Wow folks…pretty harsh words above. Kudos to Dickey for sticking to his beliefs and congrats to the Allmans (Dickey included) for their Lifetime Achievement Award. The road goes on forever.

Bill March 1, 2012, 09:16:41

The fact that the Grammys didn’t even offer the Allmans a chance to play a song is just a complete joke. Blows my mind. Look at some of these performers and they don’t let the Allmans play??? Don’t get it.
And too bad Dickey didn’t show. He’s one the all-time greats but to the person who posted ripping Gregg and Warren and Derek .. just shows you know absolutely nothing about music.

dankerator March 1, 2012, 09:17:11

IT’S BUTCH TRUCKS HES SUCH AN A-HOLE!!! I THINK IT’S JUST TOO ODD FOR DICKEY TO SHOW UP AT THIS POINT ETC. HOW WOULD YOU FEEL!!!

darkstarcrashes March 1, 2012, 09:34:43

do you know why Dickey was kicked out?!?!? do you have to put up with violent drunken rages at your job!? I know I was around so just shut up…the Allmans are making the best music since Duane… Dickey is being Dickey same soup just reheated….ABB for life fools
Holla

Dave Adkins March 1, 2012, 09:47:01

How sad that the Grammy’s had Chris Brown play but not The Allman Brothers Band. He does not even play an instrument, what a sad joke

Dave March 1, 2012, 09:59:36

Well said Micheal! My thoughts exactly.

cody March 1, 2012, 10:52:15

yea, dickey may have been a drunk asshole at times, but what about gregg? he was certainly no saint. you don’t get hep c by just being a standup citizen. he was a drug addict and raging alcoholic himself. butch seems like an asshole too, i’ve read interviews where he shits all over the dead for jamming too long and says they didn’t need two drummers and so on. truth is, the allmans would be the allmans with or without butch, fuck him. either way though, derek and warren are incredible and great southern is still awesome too. props to dickey for sticking by his guns, fuck those who turn their back on you in times of need.

d March 1, 2012, 11:26:33

Isnt duane’s name galldariel like from lord of the rings

PooterCooter March 1, 2012, 12:13:44

I’m still glad they got that junkie out of the ABB before he ruined it for everybody. Dickey was great, but that was some time ago. Yeah, Gregg and others had their problems, but they righted their selves in time. Remember when Betts had a standoff with the police after being kicked out of the ABB? He was highly unstable. I love the songs he wrote and played and will always respect that, but he forfeited his role in the ABB by his behavior.

todd March 1, 2012, 12:27:18

I have said it before and will say it again. I loved Dickey but he now sings like a old southern redneck hillbilly who forgot to put his teeth in. Which of course is exactly who he is.

Bill Harriman March 1, 2012, 12:42:05

The Grammy Awards are a joke. In 1964 the “song of the year” was “This guy’s in love with you” by Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass. It beat out “Like a Rolling Stone” by Bob Dylan. Who really cares about the Grammys? The rest of the brothers should have blown it off as well.

chris s March 1, 2012, 13:54:49

I deviate….I remember Zappa at his Rochetser, NY show in 1988 where the City presented him with an award for his voter registration drive. Zappa said something to the effect “that this was more important than a Grammy.”

joe March 1, 2012, 15:59:02

i support dickeys desiscion to rock solo, and let warren, and butchs kid keep trying to get HIS solos right.

JOJO March 1, 2012, 19:05:53

The idiot above that made some comment about Gregs HepC is retarded. he didnt get it from drugs but rather his last tatoo in 2003. Its sorta ironic but goes to show if you use your own clean needle shit like that wont happen. Dickey is an asshole, I saw him in the early 90’s playing oput of tyune, kicking amps, smashing gregs organ. Gregg was always in it for the fans and music, Dickey has alwAys been about Dickey

Dave March 1, 2012, 20:06:21

Warren Haynes as lead guitar player signaled the end of the Allman Brothers Band…his generic elevator psycadelia sound is just fitting to how lame the Brothers are…he’s ruins every band he plays in..poor Phil Lesh..I am constantly blown away at how many people dig his sound, just sad. I know, I know, hordes of you love him…to each their own path, but you won’t catch me at any show he plays at…and for Dickey, I love him still, and wish he had shown up to accept his award..

abbfan March 1, 2012, 21:34:29

I’ve always looked at two ways. 1) How is somebody going to get kicked out of ABB for being too messed up. 2) How messed up do you have to be to get kicked out of ABB. The rest of the band got sober and put the music first and Dickey didn’t so they moved on and the band sounds great these days imo.
I get it that Dickey is bitter but for me I believe that he should have been at the Grammy’s for that and deserved to have his place on that stage.

cal March 2, 2012, 06:10:14

Their is obviously bad blood between the original members of the allmans and dickey. They had their moments to settle their differences but it will not happen. The current ABB is just a retro act playing dickeys songs and lots of covers. And dickey is no longer a prolific guitar player and writer.End of the line!!

abbfan March 2, 2012, 15:01:28

cal: Not exactly true. Yes they do play Dickey’s songs but a lot of the early stuff was written by Gregg and a majority of the material they play comes from that. Not saying that LIz Reed and Southbound aren’t still staples but Gregg’s songs are great as well. It wasn’t until Brothers and Sisters that Dickey took over as primary song writer.

jaxflbrofan March 2, 2012, 21:41:51

hep c from a tattoo in 2003? Cmon man,you really believe that? Maybe a tattoo in the 70’s…. but hep c lies dormant in most people’s bodies for 20-30 years….i doubt greg would go to some seedy tattoo parlor that would use dirty needles on him in 2003….def from IV drug abuse IMO

PALancia March 3, 2012, 20:42:45

Dickey was one of the founders of the band! He belonged there! Warren and Derek are the life of the band now, Greg is so in the background. Why Greg and Butch can’t extend the olive branch is beyond me! Dickie is as much a part of their success as Duane and the rest of them!
I love ABB, but…........this is just unnecessary drama! Let’s move on boys (Greg and Butch) have a tour or some shows with Dickie, we want to see him with ABB!

G March 5, 2012, 07:14:04

I have been an ABB fan for a long time!!!! I hate to admit but it’s true, they’re just not that good anymore. Warren and Derek are great, but Gregg forgets words, can’t remember what song he’s playing sometimes, and constantly looks over at Warren because it seems like he doesn’t know what to do! I feel so embarrassed. ABB fans don’t want to hear the truth! But the fact is they are old and the original three members take breaks because they can’t finish a show! Shows are all the same now. Gregg sings one-two songs then they play a long ass instrumental and Warren sings. Gregg probably sings on avg 6 songs per night and half of them warren has to help him and the rest they have guests! I hate to admit it trust me I do, but they are done!

Sam March 5, 2012, 10:13:11

Dave is right. No-one has profited more from the death of Jerry Garcia than Warren Haynes. His solos are perfectly boring, perfectly safe. He and his shit band never fall flat because they do not take any chances. Corporate blues for people who don’t know very much about music.

cody March 5, 2012, 13:05:24

to the dipshit that thinks gregg got hep c from a tattoo in 2003, did you know that the easter bunny is real too? come on now, who comes out and says, “yea, I got hep C from shooting up smack.” you can’t call dickey a piece of shit and think that gregg and butch are stand up guys. gregg has been an on and off mess until he couldn’t be anymore, basically until he got diagnosed with hep c. last few times i’ve seen great southern they blew the doors of the allmans. long live dickey!

David March 5, 2012, 21:02:34

Steven Adler got kicked out out G n’ R for drug use,so why not Dicky from ABB for alcohol.Still wish he’d have shown and forgive and forget.

dingo March 6, 2012, 17:01:55

cody… great southern blew ABB away…
please never post again…you have spoken.. so please never ever post again…
thanks and bless you

jerry March 6, 2012, 18:56:06

Come on man music is music …it brings us together no matter who is up there as long as they bring it!!!!I Its just sad we sit here and compare all these guys. All these guys have paid there dues to get where there at today.

Paul March 7, 2012, 16:12:20

I think the current line up of the ABB should play a set of all the classic songs that Uncle Butchie, Derek and Warren wrote…....I guess that would be a real short set :) Dickey paid their bills for 30 years…...now they are a Betts tribute band.

skydog March 7, 2012, 22:31:21

this lin up of the allman brothers is the best forget dickey gregg allman is the man derek and warren ar e out therethe best guitarist out there

dingo March 8, 2012, 09:06:13

Paul…. damn Dickey I didn’t know you knew how to use a computer!! props for learning something new….Betts tribute band- yeah dude people will be filling up the sheds every summer for that!
go back to your Nascar fool

Paul March 8, 2012, 16:26:47

Yeah dingo you keep listening to those great, classic, enduring tunes like “Instrumental Illness”.......LOL. Keep drinking the cool aid buddy.

Joe B March 9, 2012, 11:43:45

I love the Allman Brothers and Dickey Betts. In truth he was unbearable, would go into violent drunken rages all the time as someone else posted here. Now he has an issue and won’t show up? Get over it Dickey, or better yet, admit it. You may have messed up in that way, but you are one of the greatest ever. Move into the future and the accolades….get out of the past.

SkiBum58 March 9, 2012, 15:23:17

Hey I consider myself pretty much an old timer. Started listening to ABB in 1973 when I was 15, and have seen them about 70 times in concert. Anyone who says Warren sucks or plays “corporate blue” is just a moron, or simply can’t get over the past. Say you prefer Dickey if you want (hey, it is not a competition), but don’t impugn a guy with absolutely killin’ chops. Even when Warren and Dickey played together, like on the live recording “An Evening With the Allman Brothers,” I thought Warren cleaned his clock on just about every tune.
Check out set II of the Gov’t Mule show from 12/31/2007 when Warren plays an entire set of classic tunes from 1967. In just about every case, and especially on “Light My Fire,” his renditions are better than the originals. His solo on “Morning Dew” is downright beautiful stuff. Dickey was great back in the day. On Eat a Peach for sure. And the two guitar breaks that he and Duane trade on Stormy Monday are two of the greatest solos ever. But he is a big drunk and his playing has degenerated. If he still shows flashes of greatness, those moments are the exception, not the rule. I saw him with Great Southern a few years back, and former ABB guitarist Dangerous Dan Toler, the second guitar, just tore it up (very unsung, in my opinion). Dickey was drunk and played a bunch of clunkers. And the guys don’t wanna put up with his bullshit anymore. Instrumental Illness is a great tune and so is Egypt. Warren’s tunes from Hittin’ the Note are all stellar. Derek Trucks is the shiznit, too. Beautiful tone and a monster talent. Face it folks. Bands move on, and the success of band to a large extent depends on personalities. The guy can’t get along with other people. In his own band, he rules the roost, but look how many personnel changes they’ve gone through. I think he did the right thing staying away. How awkward it would have been.

Shroomer March 9, 2012, 15:56:12

Hey Paul, I understand your anger, but don’t say stupid stuff about Warren Haynes. If not for him back in 89 this band would not be around today and as far as him not writing songs you must not have been on this planet for the past 22 years(he’s wrote more songs in the past 22 years than Dickey and Gregg combined) or you’d know how much of an idiotic statement that was about a short set. Only thing short around here is probably your dick!

dingo March 9, 2012, 16:12:24

Shrromer > Paul… O snap! put that in your pipe in smoke it! based on your posts it will be of the crack variety…. Warren is a gift

dingo March 9, 2012, 16:13:35

Shroomer > Paul… O snap! put that in your pipe in smoke it! based on your posts it will be of the crack variety…. Warren is a gift

dingo March 9, 2012, 16:14:04

dingo March 9, 2012, 16:17:16

Paul March 9, 2012, 16:33:55

Hey guys I readily admit that sadly Dickey has fallen deep into the bottle and his playing is all but gone. Now if only you can admit the fact that Warren is a Betts wanna-be and Derek has the tone of a screach-owl.

Omar March 9, 2012, 17:07:30

We on the outside looking in will never know the real reason for the rift between either side. All I know is that they made great, great, great, music together and if you can let Adele and Katy Perform at the Grammy’s, how can you not have the Allmans perform.? Whatever. The road goes on forever!

Vinny March 9, 2012, 17:15:37

The Allman Bros and Dickey betts just don’t interest me anymore their time has passed. Neither band has wrote a song in probably a decade.

dingo March 10, 2012, 09:34:08

paul… Derek is a prodigy and a lovely person as I’m sure you are… I’m sorry for the Nascar comment… Lets stop comparing musicians like athletes… I will always love ABB Dickey included…I believe firmly that this is the best line up since Duane’s untimely…. best to you…PEACE
the dingo

sker00013 March 10, 2012, 18:39:17

All the Haynes haters crack me up, especially the guys that go to his show’s and then complain about how bad he is? Stfu and stay away. Secondly to the guy that said Haynes is “Corporate Blues” for people who don’t know music? So Phil, Lil Milton, Luther Dickinson, Scofield,Marc Ford, and countless others who praise Haynes don’t know Shit?.......Lot of fuckin idiots on this page.

Paul March 10, 2012, 19:52:36

Great point dingo…each musician has his own voice and really shouldn’t be compared to another. All the best to you brother…God bless!

fredg March 11, 2012, 03:08:05

You haters make me laugh. Too much rehab or really bad drugs.The current version of ABB is the way Duane would have wanted it. It’s not about anything else but realizing DUANE was the best EVER & he would have wanted & would approve of the music living on. Derrick Trucks is so good you can’t comprehend it.
You Bitterness shows your lack of any understanding of ABB legacy.

Mark March 11, 2012, 10:54:18

Hey Fans, I think its about time to start the healing process of bad blood between Dickey and the rest of the band. There is something special brewing during the Beacon Run. Lets hope its Dickey as a guest. A couple of songs including Liz Reed with Warren and Derek could be mending on the spot!

jerry March 11, 2012, 17:14:54

Skyburn58 YOU said all that needs to be said !!!you have spoke the truth…but i will add this ,Warren Haynes is a gift to music!!!and yes Dickey is a awesome guitarist for him not to show up at the Grammys,was his decsion..I mean think about it he is not a Allman brother ,who do you think Warren gives credit to for making him a great front man!!!Dickey ….There cant be to much bad blood a while back Gregs son Devon did a few shows with Dickey…oh yeah…......Its almost time for WANEE!!!!the sit ins there are going to be pure MAGIC

DanG March 11, 2012, 22:30:20

When Dickey was kicked out, the band’s response was “Listen to the tapes”. To me that says it all. Dickey was just too messed up to play well. And don’t get me wrong…I loved Dickey’s playing in the various lineups from ’73 on when I first saw them, but when Warren came on board in ’89 I felt he often stole the show from Dickey. Warren has now been the hardest working rock guitarist fo several years now. He plays with so many other musicians. Why? Maybe because he’s that good! To top it off, Warren is truly a nice person.

Alan Walden March 12, 2012, 17:32:00

Thank You Dickie for REMEMBERING my Brother, Phil!!! If it were not for you and Jaimoe…..The Man who started it all for The Allman Brothers would be sadly ignored. Thank you also for BEING at Phil’s funeral! AND MOST IMPORTANT, Thank You for staying my Friend over all the years when all the others (Jaimoe not included) went SOUR and chose to be the selfish, self centered assholes they are….... Alan Walden
2003 Inductee, Georgia Music Hall Of Fame

CJR March 12, 2012, 23:07:29

You cannot deny Dickey did the heavy lifting when it counted after Duane and Berry were gone
and Chuck Leavel sure as hell helped.But you cannot deny that Derek and Warren, Oteil and Mark are also tremendously talented and infused some additional spark. The reworking of those old blues tunes are great and get better with time.Dickey’s contribution was and is huge.You can acknowledge that and the talent of Haines and D. Trucks. I hope Dickey comes back and I still think it will happen…this isn’t the first ABB breakup …

Kyle April 11, 2012, 13:49:25

Wow! Wow this band died when Duane died end of story. Derek Trucks, Haynes and Betts are ALL GREAT. Ive never seen so much hate for a man that is adored by so many of his peers like I see for Haynes. Im sure Trey, Phil, Bobby, Greg Allman, and so many others must be idiots for saying how talented the man is.

Tom April 24, 2012, 13:47:42

No one is denying that Warren is a great talent. Its just that he is a backstabber. Dickey discoverd him, gave hime the opportunity and Warren put the knife in his back in 2000.

chuck brame May 10, 2012, 15:13:43

Yeah – Warren Haynes and his downer sounding blues take the life out of the ABB — never liked him with ABB or Goverment Mule.

steven catrone June 5, 2012, 14:20:51

How could Dicky Betts be kicked out of the Allman Brothers? How could they even use the name without Dicky Betts.?. Their current sound
is way to high pitched and tinny. Once a brother always a brother!!

Mark July 13, 2012, 17:41:02

Always remember …Dickey was 50% of all those classic ABB leads you love so much.Whatever you want to say bad about the man,realize that nobody cares about yer stinkin’ opines anyhow. Do any REAL music lovers give a damn about the GRAMMY’S anyway?!? God bless Dickey,I’d have stayed home too!

David Sawyer February 11, 2013, 09:43:33

I’ve been to many ABB shows and have most of their music in my collection,and can recall many of Dickey’s solos and riffs note for note..can’t,however, recall any of haynes solos or riffs..Dickey had his OWN TONE and haynes sounds generic..fast and forgettable..can.t think of one riff or song he’s written that makes me say “i have GOT to try to figure that out”. Speed is no substitute for feeling in a solo.Stop playing Dickey’s songs live and the set list gets short and boring real fast.

DanTheMan April 13, 2013, 18:18:36

Dickey was great. He’s a shell of his former self. Warren and Derek are great now. Hey Tom, Warren is still friends with Dickey. He wasn’t even with the Allman Brothers when Dickey was let go. I don’t know where you get this backstabber bull. Get your facts straight. Warren had nothing to do with Dickey’s firing. He was doing his own thing with Gov’t Mule at the time. Great band also.

Joe July 23, 2013, 15:01:18

Dickey forever! ABB can keep that bloated Warren Haynes. Guy does nothing for me. Just a fat guy with some chops, and that’s about it.

Wally Gator Sirotich September 19, 2013, 01:55:46

as a student , musician, composer, pianist , and performer , not to mention a HUGE Allman Brothers fan and musical expert for 45 or so years …
May i interject…
From day one , the Allman Brothers band was unique because of 3 combinations of musical styles that they intertwined to create their sound..
Blues, coming from Gregg and Duane,
Jazz improve ,coming from Jaimo, and his knowledge of Ornette Coleman , Miles Davis and all the other Greats ,
and yes ,Country Music , which was introduced to the sound of the band by Dickey Betts .
the elimination of Dickey , for whatever reason , meant that 1/3rd of the formula sound of the band , that made it UNIQUE, was gone …
and all that was left was blues and jazz…
Still great , to most folks who dont understand the concept of the trilogy above, . the point i’m trying to make is that the trilogy of musical styles that produced the original Allman Brothers sound , Will never exist again , until the reunion that may happen someday …
Lets not forget the incredible contribution of brother Chuck Leavell on piano as well …
Being a pianist myself, I long for Chucks mind boggling contributions to the Allman Brothers sound as well .

HamBone December 3, 2013, 23:33:54

May God bless and guide Mr. Betts. Hes a very sick man.

Mike January 11, 2014, 22:40:12

How this whole thread missed it Is beyond me. Duane Allman Was the ABB. He put the band in place and led the most significant band of the 60’s until his death. Nothing would be discussed today without his genius. Not one word said about that? Fade away pretenders you are all in the dark. Greg Allman being tributed as the ABB lynch pin? Dream on. The guy’s a poser. Just listen to “Live at the Fillmore” and enjoy a phenomenon. The band died with Duane.

The Second Coming March 11, 2014, 14:15:07

To Mike Yes the band died with Duane and that explains why it was only after his death that they experienced their greatest commercial success via Dickey Betts’ classic tunes from Brothers and Sisters (#1 album and #2 song). The biggest joke of it all here, is that it was Betts who introduced Duane Allman to guitar harmonies and Gibson Les Pauls and SGs. Little do you ignorant detractors know that he was already playing twin leads with Larry Reinhardt in his earlier band the Second Coming (which also included Berry Oakley) and that he sold that famous Gibson SG to Duane when Duane had previously been nothing but a single lead guitarist and session player using Fenders. These little known facts have already been acknowledged in the Midnight Riders biography from Scott Freeman and is confirmed by Ted Drozdowski in his article named: A Tribute to Gibson Les Paul Legend Dickey Betts at gibson.com Duane’s band was only supposed to be a power trio and last time I checked he did not write anything more than Little Martha. He was definitely the better guitarist, but could not sing nor write anything like Dickey Betts. Finally, Gregg was the last member to join the band and it was only called “The Allman Brothers Band” as a marketing tool by Phil Walden to get back on his investment in the Southern circuit where people already knew about the “Allman Joys” name. Betts is indeed a drunk and a shadow of himself now, but no one and I repeat no one contributed as much to the ABB than him in terms of founding, live playing, studio recording, sound creation, writing, arranging and singing combined. He did it all and lead the band just as much as Duane and Gregg put together.

lifetimefan March 26, 2014, 22:21:03

Well said – The Second Coming – until the end of your post. Not sure why people feel the need to call Dickey Betts a drunk and a shadow of his former self after a glowing post speaking the facts. The man is 70 years old. Maybe not the player he once was but who is from the old days. Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy to name a few have also lost a step so to speak. One step less of Beck, Guy, Betts, and others of advancing age is still better than 90 percent of the noise out there today. A shadow of his former self is a laughable statement. Seen Dickey blow the roof off the house in recent footage and shows plenty of times with Great Southern. Nobody is on all the time in this business and Dickey Betts can still bring the goods even with advancing age and a few belts in his system on the majority of nights and shows. Hell, Gregg, Butch, and Jaimoe are all getting up there and have problems bringing it every show. Anyone who thinks that Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes don’t have off nights and sound problems with their own bands should read the ticketmaster reviews. Calling Dickey Betts a drunk and a shadow is an unfair representation IMHO. Cheers for the rest of the post. Derek and Warren are great players. There has always been something missing without Dickey and everyone knows it. Dickey Betts is a living legend who can still bring the house down.