Published: 2012/03/14

The Allman Brothers Band Welcomes The Juke Horns

Photos by Dino Perrucci

The Allman Brothers Band resumed their Beacon Theater residency last night after two days off. Near the end of The Allman Brothers Band’s first set, longtime collaborators The Juke Horns emerged for “Don’t Keep Me Wondering,” Otis Redding’s “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long,” “Who to Believe” and The Band’s “The Weight.”

Like every show this run, The Allman Brothers Band opened their second set with an acoustic segment. The three-song stretch kicked off with the Derek Trucks Band original “Back Where I Started” and also included “Come On Into My Kitchen” and “Will the Circle Is Unbroken.” The members of The Allman Brothers Band played “Will Circle Be Unbroken” for the first time since 1997 during their Hepatitis C awareness concert last summer. The latter who acoustic songs also featured Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s John McCuen on banjo. The Brothers then plugged in for the recently revived Dickey Betts number, “Blue Sky” and charged through the rest of their set. The Juke Horns also returned to the stage for “And It Stoned Me.”

The Allman Brothers Band will return to the Beacon this evening.

Here’s a look at last night’s set via The Allman Brothers Band’s website

March 13, 2012, Beacon Theater, New York, NY

Set I:
Don’t Want You No More>
Not My Cross To Bear
Leave My Blues At Home
Key To the Highway
Who’s Been Talkin’
Egypt
Don’t Keep Me Wondering (w/ Juke Horns)
I’ve been Loving You (w/ Juke Horns)
Who To Believe (w/ Juke Horns)
The Weight (w/ Juke Horns)

Set II:
Acoustic
Back Where I Started
Come On Into My Kitchen (w/John McCuen)
Will the Circle Be Unbroken (w/John McCuen)

Electric
Blue Sky
Every Hungry Woman
And It Stoned Me (w/ Juke Horns)
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

E:
No One To Run With

Comments

40acres March 14, 2012, 15:02:39

Hank – I bet it was “Back Where I started”, and you are correct on all, but is a little confusing being called a DTB original as Warren wrote it, has been playing it acoustically, but Susan sang it on Already Free. All in all a great song sung and played by the ABB family. They are playing Blue Sky but don’t think they would touch on an newer Dickey tune with “Back Where it all Begins”. Road goes on forever…I want a Wanee Southwest!

Confused March 14, 2012, 15:47:00

Im usually not one to critique…but this site has had so many literary errors that I couldnt let this one slide… Now Im not an english major by any means, but how does this sentence make sense? “The members of The Allman Brothers Band played “Will Circle Be Unbroken” for the first time since 1997 during their Hepatitis C awareness concert last summer. “

hank March 14, 2012, 17:21:57

40acres – the article originally stated that Back Where I Started was a Dickey song from 1994. The article has since been corrected and my initial comment now appears to make no sense.

Michael March 14, 2012, 18:45:55

+1 confused. The writing in this article is an embarrassment. The grammar/spellcheck in Word could have cleaned this up; let alone an actual proof read.

john and T March 14, 2012, 19:57:27

Too many rarely played songs, not enough classics…. come on guys play the songs people want to hear! Greg looked sick, blowing his nose with tissues thru-out. kind of a let down. Been doin the Beacon in March for 12 years…. ???

HotFinTuna March 21, 2012, 20:42:24

Helluva Lidbit Reed they done played.
How’s dat fuh gammah?

jambands.com March 14, 2012, 11:05:59

Thanks for the update, we looked at a uncorrected setlist at first

hank March 14, 2012, 10:54:17

I think you’re confusing ‘Back Where I Started’ with ‘Back Where It All Begins’.
‘Back Where I Started’ is a song on DTB’s Already Free that Warren wrote (and Susan Tedeschi sang on the album.)

Paul Burke, Author-Journey Home March 14, 2012, 11:53:30