Published: 2012/03/19

Grateful Dead Bio Will Celebrate Golden Anniversary

The Grateful Dead will celebrate their 50th anniversary in 2015. While that’s three years in the future, at least one project is already in the works to mark the occasion. David Browne will write a biography of the group that Da Capo Press will publish in conjunction with the milestone. Browne, a contributing editor at Rolling Stone most recently wrote Fire and Rain: The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY, and the Lost Story of 1970 for Da Capo. His other books include Dream Brother: The Lives and Music of Jeff and Tim Buckley (2001), and Goodbye 20th Century: A Biography of Sonic Youth (2008). Browne tells Relix that he has been a closet Deadhead for years ever since he purchased a copy of Workingman’s Dead in the 1970s.

Comments

Joe Rumello March 20, 2012, 08:32:20

“Closet” fan don’t sound like no fan to me. And trust me if you wrote the Sonic Youth bio I hardly think your qualified to write the GD’s. Sonic Youth fans and GD fans I just don’t see in the same relm. I hope he can really make a substantial soldid book. But if the guy has to explain his understandin of the dead and can only say “ya I once our perchaced WMD in the 70’s” than we got a problem. All in all um excited. Good vibes

Grateful Dad (~);} March 20, 2012, 08:59:37

Wtf is a “closet Deadhead”? Come on brah! If only he could counter “If I have to explain it, you wouldn’t understand” perhaps I could dig!

Grateful Dad (~);} March 20, 2012, 09:04:41

Wtf is a “closet Deadhead”? Perhaps he’s pranking us by flippin’ the script back: “If I have to explain you wouldn’t understand!” “Now, you’re either on the bus or off the bus. If you’re on the bus, and you get left behind, then you’ll find it again. If you’re off the bus in the first place — then it won’t make a damn.”- Ken Kesey

Grateful Dad (~);} March 20, 2012, 09:04:44

jmills23 March 20, 2012, 09:44:27

Just so you know Lee Renaldo of Sonic Youth is a huge deadhead. Free your mind;)

Playin_Dead Allston March 20, 2012, 10:12:25

Why can’t Sonic Youth & Grateful Dead fans share the same taste? Sonic Youth has done some incredibly interesting electric musical experiments.. Let the dude write a book, how does his interest in Sonic Youth make him not qualified to investigate & discuss The Grateful Dead? Apparently he also likes CSNY and Simon & Garfunkel, so.. do those bands also disqualify against the Dead?

Shaun March 21, 2012, 19:44:23

While I don’t understand the “closet” Deadhead comment either, Browne’s a fine writer so I trust this will be an enjoyable read when it comes out. “Fire and Rain” is an excellent book (I just read it a month or two back) and an extremely enjoyable, unique look at a pivotal year in both music and society at large (1970). Even though it really covered just one year, I didn’t want it to end! There was a lot of stuff in there that I didn’t know prior to reading the book, and it should be noted that the Dead gets mentioned several times throughout the book as well. Definitely worth checking out.

eersfan March 28, 2012, 21:40:56

Neil Young is a big fan of Sonic Youth, which is ringing endorsement as far as I am concerned. I saw them open for Neil and they were interesting to say the least.