Published: 2012/03/28

New Riders’ Buddy Cage Diagnosed with Cancer

We are sad to report the news that longtime New Riders of the Purple Sage pedal steel player Buddy Cage has been diagnosed with blood cancer. Last week, Cage missed a Rex Foundation benefit due to illness and was hospitalized on Wednesday. Members of the extended Grateful Dead/New Riders family including Mookie Siegel, Barry Sless and Professor Louie filled in for Cage in his absence. According to a statement from the New Riders:

In case you haven’t heard Buddy Cage is in the hospital. He wasn’t feeling well and had some tests run. Unfortunately they found blood cancer. We don’t know much more than that at this point but we’ll keep you all posted. We want to thank for stepping in and helping us out this past weekend.

Comments

Addie March 28, 2012, 16:27:54

Buddy, you’ve been a household word in our house for the past 30+ years.
Please know that the entire community of fans love you and are having loving thoughts and healing vibes coming your way. ♥{{{{{BC}}}}}♥

Richard March 29, 2012, 08:36:31

All the best Buddy, you will beat this and be making music again soon..Prayers headed your way..

Anthony Bertolini March 29, 2012, 12:21:24

Hey Buddy, Stay Strong Brother, Many good vibes coming to you from myself and all my friends…..See you soon at NRPS !!!

RIea March 29, 2012, 12:51:46

Thoughts and prayers and strength sent your way.

Meg Donoghue March 29, 2012, 14:03:35

Dear Buddy, I read the news today oh man…tears filled my eyes and my heart broke for you. You will get through this Bud. I’m pulling for you. We’re all pulling for you. You have a strong support network and your beautiful, protective and loving wife Leslie by your side. I tried phoning you last night but it went straight to voicemail. Call when you feel up to it. You WILL get through this Buddy. With the support and love of your friends, family and adoring wife Leslie by your side. Do not hesitate to call for anything you may need. In love and light, Your buddy, Meg Donoghue

hover March 29, 2012, 19:56:15

thinking good thoughts of our long friendship and the long strange trip it’s been love hov

Chip Desnoyers March 30, 2012, 09:56:59

Dear Buddy,
To you I owe the great majority of pedal steel licks I’ve learned over the last 40 years and your spirit animates just about everything I hear and play. Just know that all of us who have been influenced by you and love what you’ve done are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. And I have faith that we’ll see you again very soon. Chip Desnoyers (from Boris Garcia)

Jacki Desnoyers March 30, 2012, 13:55:19

Buddy: Through my love of pedal steel and in a roundabout way, you led me to meeting my husband 36 years ago. His playing is definitely influenced by your wonderful steel guitar licks. So, I thank you for leading me to him. I too will keep you in my thoughts and will pray that you will beat your illness and be playing again soon.
Jacki Desnoyers

Arnold C. March 30, 2012, 14:00:32

Buddy, I heard about your condition after a meeting.( a nooner) and almost started to cry but thought about how strong your constitution and will and HP are and thought you’ll be better soon! I love you very much Buddy…Arnold

Wendy Post March 30, 2012, 15:01:12

Saw you guys in Candor, N.Y. a few years back at Turkey Trot Acres. You guys were out talking with guests before you played. Real people, the real deal. I hope the best for you in your treatment, and rock on…...

Paul Honeycutt March 31, 2012, 00:51:26

I’ve been a fan since Jerry and Mickey were in the NRPS. I was diognosed with Leukemia two years ago. There were some rough spots along the road, but I survived. You will too. I know some amazing oncoligysts if you need help. (Front Range Cancer Specialists, Fort Collins, CO)
Blessings and Love, bro!

Don Mayer March 31, 2012, 21:01:21

Buddy, I’ve been a huge fan of you for
many years both with NRPS and Blue
Highways. I had the honor of meeting you
Thru my pal Stringbean at the Ragin’ Cajun
Cajun in Belmar.I just want to send my best
Wishes and all the positive vibes I can!!! You can and will beat this, Buddy. ONE
DAY AT A TIME. PEACE, DON

Jimmy Warburton April 4, 2012, 09:29:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1jQIcL-K_4 Stay strong Buddy.

Rob Rarus April 9, 2012, 18:10:29

Buddy, So sorry to hear of this latest news. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. Many fond memories of our recording sessions with David C in Warren, RI a few years back. Some of records are still coming out the door. Thank you again for lending your mastery, and most importantly, for your kind friendship. Many people are pulling for you! Rob

Klem April 15, 2012, 23:10:51

Hi Buddy,
Love, strength, and peace to a generous musical compadre. Hoping soon you “don’t need no doctor”.
Klem

DJ Rupert April 17, 2012, 20:29:26

Buddy,
Very sorry to hear of this news! Wishing you the best. May you feel better, & be well soon!!
DJ Rupert
Arizona

Barbara Brossman April 17, 2012, 21:48:15

Hi Buddy,
This is Barbara, who used to be married to Freddy Carr. Do you remember Tucson AZ in the winter, 1969 I think, with Mickey McGivern. I’ve thought of you often over the years, how kind you were to buy us tickets to see 2001 Space Odyssey when it first came out—and I got the Tucson Flu and couldn’t go! Yesterday, with the Titanic anniversary, I was telling my son about your grandfather being a baby who survived—I know it was to make sure you would be in the world.
Then I Googled you and found the news that you were ill. So here I am, after a million years, saying hello and sending you healing energy. I will keep you in my prayers. Hope you get well soon!

michael sciarrillo April 19, 2012, 10:28:35

Buddy,all the wonderful things you;ve given over many years have not gone unoticed nor unappreciated sending out the strongest prayers I know how for your health and your continued place amongst us I feel confident the best is still to come ,God Bless You and see you soon,Mike from Babylon.

marc pincince. April 23, 2012, 20:01:54

hope you feel better.good luck.come back to rhode island soon god bless

phil christman April 28, 2012, 19:11:49

Buddy, when I worked at Emmons I worked on your guitar many times. That was in the 70’s.. good times and good ol’ days. I wish and pray the best for you my friend. Phil from N.C.

E Stalks April 30, 2012, 21:51:02

Buddy,
Keep the Faith!
Believing is healing.
Look forward to your next gig in Syracuse!
Peace

Cheryl May 7, 2012, 03:42:25

Buddy – best wishes and prayers for you and your family and friends – I’ve been a fan for 35 years and always will be – cheryl from n.j.

kc and Tony May 12, 2012, 20:57:32

Buddy we were so sorry to hear of your illness, but know you can beat this. My son is buying a pedal steel tomorrow. It is due to the beautiful music you make on yours. He is still hoping to see you in August in Albany and really wanted to meet you. Hes hoping you feel well enough to be there. Keep the faith brother listening to NRPS as I text.

Victor F May 13, 2012, 12:23:13

Buddy, I was stricken when I heard the news. Haven’t seen you since the days with Ken Near, but have been very proud to see your success through the years. Arthritis has cut my playing short, but I remember when we used to play duets. My thoughts and good wishes to you and your family

Wade May 24, 2012, 14:45:48

Buddy, you inspired me to add the peddle steel to my arsenal. Hang tough and we’ll see you out there on the road.
God Bless

Greg shields June 7, 2012, 14:08:51

Dear buddy
I hope this message finds you better
Sure it is a terrible disease but it is not unsurmountable
Not for a tough old hombre such as yourself
Know that all of us in upstate new York and in Boston are pulling for you
With love and everlasting admiration
Greg shields Boston and candor ny

Amaguire June 19, 2012, 11:36:53

Dear buddy Hope things get Rollin better for ya soon it will you got good karma past.I was a big sat radio fan of your show! Keep on keepin on,thanks Al nor cal k.m.u.d. Radio Humboldt

Greg S June 26, 2012, 22:28:04

Buddy,
Just saw you guys jamming in Johnstown,PA last Saturday night…....awesome show! You signed my wife’s shirt afterwards and shook my hand.If we had known about your illness we would have offered you our support and best wishes for a speedy recovery.No one plays like you!
God Bless

Ron Sadaka July 9, 2012, 15:00:24

All my best wishes and prayers for a fast and complete recovery Buddy.

Delfino López Hernández July 28, 2012, 19:46:14

What more can I say,I’m one of the followers of this good artist who is Buddy,I hope a fast recovery and all of my best wishes for him and his family,he has done so much for the good music and for the listeners too,all of our support for you,Buddy!

tony culligan August 2, 2012, 19:42:25

Hey Buddy hope all is going well can’t wait to see you tomorrow nite in Albany glad you feel well enuff to be there. You’re my inspiration to play lap steel. Its tuff wish u gave lessons.. keep the faith.

John Rizio September 11, 2012, 20:12:47

Buddy, you are in my prayers. I have been a fan for over 40yrs and last heard you play in Albany NY. Your pedal steel playing brings such wonderful vibes to me. You are such an inspiration to all of us who love music. Thank you for all you have given to us and you will always be in my prayers.. The next time we meet, I will have a pen that works so you can sign the Riders new CD. I bought. God Bless

John Rizio September 11, 2012, 20:16:38

Buddy, my prayers are with you as you continue on your journey to make such awesome music. . You have been such an inspiration to me with your playing. I have been a fan for over 40 years and saw you in July 2012 in Albany NY. The next we meet I WILL have a pen that works so you can sign the wonderful CD you guys released. God Bless

Jim September 21, 2012, 10:28:04

Hey, I just heard some great news…NRPS is scheduled to play in late Dec up in Mass…with Buddy, I presume. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jim September 21, 2012, 10:28:26

Wayne & Terri Collins September 25, 2012, 11:28:22

Buddy…You’re in our thoughts and prayers. We’re sure you’ll continue to play“outrageous”. One Day at a Time my friend. Wayne and Terri.

Edward J Kelcher Jr December 25, 2012, 13:15:27

Good Luck Buddy: You inspired me 37 years ago to take up the instrument and have been playing professionally ever since.Last time i saw you was at the Caboose in Minneapolis.prayers to you Ed Kelcher

Ron Bahls January 11, 2013, 19:23:05

Nothing has influenced my musical career more than what you did on that Emmons with NRPS back in the late 60’s/early 70’s. I’m eternally grateful for your music through the years. We’re pulling for you, and will always cherish knowing your talent. Sincerely, Ron

Bev February 10, 2013, 10:04:50

Buddy so great to hear from you and that you are on the road of recovery you are in my prayers;; mickey is so very proud of you;; you;ve come a long way and will go farther god bless ;;; Bev from Pembroke Ont;

Vinny March 18, 2013, 18:58:09

Saw Buddy last night at the Historic Blairstown Theater, Nj…was taking care not to get chilled knit cap and hoodie while performing..he played great was subdued most of the time and energetic other times…they played for 3 hrs+ started at 8..ended at 11:40…with a break…never missed a beat!....He said he feels good to my buddy who was in the opening act….Keep it Up Buddy!!

Roy Melander April 5, 2013, 12:31:25

Buddy, All the best. We meet up at the Lone Start Café in NYC may years ago and chatted a bit. It was a great moment in my life to finally meet you. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you on the road soon.

Gary April 14, 2013, 00:13:00

Buddy, hang in there, man. You influenced me to take up the steel 40 years ago and set the standard. Peace and prayers. Gary

Gordon Broomfield June 6, 2013, 19:49:54

I’m in Goose Bay Labrador. I bought your first Emmons and learned so much from you.Hang in there player.

Mark mettler June 19, 2013, 22:21:19

Hey Buddy- remember we played golf before your Penns Peak Concert? Who won —you or Johnny?
Hang in there brother.

Mark mettler June 19, 2013, 22:21:20

Hang in there brother.

Hugh Southard July 9, 2013, 16:41:43

I have been NRPS’s agent since they started touring again several years ago. Buddy and I both found out we had Multiple Myeloma within a month of each other and we also were a month apart having Stem Cell Transplants this past winter. Buddy is doing great and will be doing better!! He is only 6 months post transplant and that is very early on, and he started touring after only two months!! Buddy is a tough guy and DO NOT read all the crap about Multiple Myeloma online. With new meds and procedures you can live a pretty normal life for a very long time! Further Buddy….We Are Gonna be FINE!!!

Ben Harris February 17, 2014, 02:39:06

Hello Buddy,
I hope all is well with you. I am taking a trip out to the right coast soon and I unfortunately ran across this article. I wish you well and for comfort and healing. The Army has been a wild ride for me the last 20 years or so, and I just wanted to say hello, and thank you and Mike F. for all of the help and mentorship you gave to a lost kid. The impact you made lasted, and always sat in the back of my mind. The site moderator has my email …. Ben

Donna Jones November 6, 2014, 17:31:24

Hi really hope you doing well , pleaz call me I would like to know where’s yr daughter and mine pleaz

Donna Jones November 6, 2014, 17:31:52