Published: 2012/04/20

Bill Clinton Remembers Levon Helm

Former President Bill Clinton has released a public statement about Levon Helm. Both Clinton and Helm grew up in Arkansas and came of age in the ‘50s and ‘60s. Along with the ‘90s version of The Band , Helm performed at Clinton’s 1993 inaugural Ball.

In his statement Clinton says:

I was saddened to learn of the death of my fellow Arkansan Levon Helm. Levon was one of America’s great musicians. His music, with the Hawks, the Band, and throughout his career, and his standout performance in Coal Miner’s Daughter, touched a chord with me and with many Americans. He never forgot his roots. I was always grateful that he helped the annual Delta Blues Festival get off the ground. He will be deeply missed.

As previously reported, Helm passed away on April 19 at age 71. A diverse mix of musicians paid tribute to him at shows across the country last night.

Comments

Tommy G Warren April 21, 2012, 11:59:46

I grew up along with Bill and Levon in Southern Arkansas during the same time, in simular conditions, I remember. Mr. Levon Helms was a great entertaining American.

Daniel April 20, 2012, 21:19:16

Well said by a great man. thanks pres.

KittyK April 20, 2012, 22:14:24

So true Mr.Clinton Levon Helm sang with a voice that was all America.
May your soul rest in peace.

Ed Horst April 20, 2012, 22:39:18

music has lost another soul.May you find peace in your resting place with many honors toward your music performance.Another aging baby boomer who grew up listening to The Band and many other groups of our time/generation.
..‘if music is the food of soul,play on.” Rest In Peace brother.

KayK April 20, 2012, 22:45:00

As another Arkansan, I’m saddened at the passing of Levon Helm. He was one of the Greats. I’m proud of you, too, Mr. President. You’re another Great. Must be something in the water down here in Arkansas.

Luke April 21, 2012, 09:03:49

Rest in Peace Mr. Helm.
As for Mr. Clinton, saying he is a great man is like saying I can play guitar better than Jerry Garcia. Clinton was instrumental in selling the American working public (just about everybody) out with NAFTA in 1994. If that’s not enough he also allowed the firewalls between investment and commercial banks to be torn down with laws in the late 90s, leading to devastating implications once again for the public stemming from the deregulation and increase in financial speculation, ultimately creating the crash of 2008. He’s a jerkoff, frankly. Hasn’t essentially been a difference between repubs and democrats in at least 30 to 40 years.

PM April 21, 2012, 11:50:08

Luke, as a liberal myself i have to agree with you, Mr Bill is a DLC democrat who sold out liberal policies (triangulation) in order to be popular, he gave us the repeal of glass- stegall act which led to the financial crisis.Obama is also to pro business but he is a better bad choice than Republicans who are quasi fascist.Ultimatly the blame goes to the American people. As for Levon Helms passing (RIP) i wish this same kind of outpouring of love had been thrown Richard Manuels way HE and Robbie were the genious of The Band. There i Said it!

Timmy April 21, 2012, 12:56:12

You must be a real douchebag to use the death of a great musician as a political platform. Very classless and shallow.

nick gammal April 21, 2012, 14:25:16

True dat Timmy.

Great Man? April 21, 2012, 15:48:37

President Clinton a “Great Man”? If that’s what we call leaders that bang their interns we’ve fallen pretty far as a nation. Not to say that people can’t be forgiven, but I think we should reserve the title of “Great Men” to those who not only uphold civil justice, but keep their marriage committments as well.

Shaun April 21, 2012, 22:18:48

Look, “Great Man?” this really isn’t the place for standing on a soapbox (RIP Levon, you are already missed) but really… When Clinton lied, no one died. But when Bush II and Cheney lied? There’s really no comparison there. Banging an intern, or leading a nation into a costly (in lives— on both sides — and in dollars) war under false pretenses and then letting the nation’s economy go down the tubes? Which one would you say is more important? I seem to remember relative peace and prosperity when Clinton left office. Not so for Bush II. Clinton was not perfect, and neither is Obama, but they’re certainly preferable to the dark ages that the GOP would like to lead us back to. Given how friendly Obama has been to big business, it’s laughable to hear the tea-baggers call Obama a “socialist.” I wish! Sorry for the ranting, everyone.

Sneakerface April 22, 2012, 00:00:26

Levon’s passing is a HUGE loss to the music world. His life & career story is pretty interesting. He wrote a great book, I guess you’d say an autobiography, over a decade ago, called “This Wheel’s On Fire.” (I got it at my local library, so I’m sure you can too).

Sarah July 14, 2012, 04:07:59

I simply want to tell you that I’m new to biolggng and site-building and honestly loved you’re web site. Likely I’m want to bookmark your blog post . You absolutely come with very good article content. Kudos for sharing your web page.