Published: 2012/04/25

Dave Matthews Debuts New Song on Fallon

Last night, Jimmy Fallon made his way to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to meet up with two special guests—President Obama and Dave Matthews. Matthews sang backup on Fallon’s “Dorms, Shower Baskets, and The Walk of Shame”, before premiering a track called “Mercy” (watch the performance in the videos below).

As previously reported, Dave Matthews Band have been in the studio working on a new album with producer Steve Lillywhite. The album will be their first studio effort since 2009’s Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King and their first project with Lillywhite since the aborted Lillywhite Sessions in 2000. In a tweet this morning though, Lillywhite confirmed that the song will not be on the new DMB album.

DMB will be hitting the road next month for their first North American tour in two years. The tour kicks off May 18 in Woodlands, Texas.

“Dorms, Shower Baskets, and The Walk of Shame”

“Mercy”

Comments

Holler April 25, 2012, 11:14:10

Pretty nice song. Nice accompaniment Captain Kirk, but where was Tim?

Dmb girl April 25, 2012, 13:22:07

Nice song, lots of meaning, I can’t wait to hear it live this summer with the rest of his band! I’m sure they will “rock it!!”

Tripping Billy April 25, 2012, 13:31:29

DMB Rocks :)

Grey April 25, 2012, 14:12:49

Man. Dave Mathews is solid. Its just such a shame that a large portion of his audience (not all) falls into the fratboy/meathead demograph. His fans are so lame that it somehow dilutes the music. I know that what I’m saying is contestable but as it stands he is certainly not a jam band. If he actually explored the live/jam potential of his songs it would be different, instead he’s catered to the masses.

peachhead April 25, 2012, 14:56:56

“as it stands he is certainly not a jam band. If he actually explored the live/jam potential of his songs it would be different, instead he’s catered to the masses.” I used to think this, but have you seen him recently? I saw the band a few times in the 90s and didn’t see them until the 2011 Mile High Festival. Not only was the band badass and the arrangements of the songs very tight and professional, but they really jammed out certain songs like Two Step quite a bit and added a bunch of interesting parts that I had never heard before. I don’t really listen to DMB too much but I have to say his band improvises a lot more than people think

Jeanne April 25, 2012, 14:59:03

oh wow…..I am 57 years old and there are so so many fans my age and older…..he started a while ago you know…...not at all lame fans…..hey any fans are awesome, because he is awesome.

Angle April 25, 2012, 19:02:39

I’m 36 and have seen DMB more than 30 times. I have tickets to three shows so far this summer and I’m no frat boy! This band rocks, Dave is amazing and their shows are all about jam sessions. I’ll be a DMB fan forever!

Non frat boy April 25, 2012, 19:26:47

“his fans are so lame it dilutes the music”??? Wow your a joke his fan base is what keeps them touring for the last 21 years young and old. There an official jam band come and see these boys throw it down! As fans go there’s a wide range of age at the shows from young college to people w/ children to grandma and grandpa. That’s why shits cool….all one people my friend

#41 April 25, 2012, 21:05:52

cause we’re tripping billies

DMB LOVE April 25, 2012, 23:49:42

Love DMB! Past, Present and Future! I’m 31 and mother of 3! I have been to countless concerts and love it every time! My 6 year old LOVES Dave and pretends to be him all the time! I love it! I Love DMB!!

Aakosh April 26, 2012, 15:05:17

Hi folks! Can anyone tell who is the guy singing the vocal and playing guitar along with Dave Matthews? Thank you, can’t wait for the new album!

Grey April 26, 2012, 21:07:43

Peachhead – I appreciate the update. I too have seen him many times many years ago. In the early 90’s I saw him in smaller Boston venues like the Avalon & the Orpheum, and in the late 90’s-00’s it was more of a amphitheater/stadium affair. But throughout that time period his songs stayed pretty much the same. But I’ll def check em this summer and see whats up.

grey April 26, 2012, 21:08:44

Angie & NonFratBoy – you seem to have glossed over the part where I said “a large portion of his audience (NOT ALL)”

grey April 26, 2012, 21:13:18

Your right tho. Music is music and its all great. The thing that separates a jamband from a non-jamband is risk. A ‘jam’ is an improvised musical exploration of sound & idea. Improvisation is unrehearsed – because of this a jamband has to be as ready to succeed as they are to fail. I just got sick of hearing people talk like he’s breaking new ground and blowing minds. But you what, this is all just my opinion. Plus, ‘jamband’ is just a label. And labels are limiting. A label wraps its metaphorical arms around something, holding it tightly within. It conjures the mind to make expectations without much information.