Published: 2012/04/26

Gregg Allman Postpones Book Signing Tour

Gregg Allman will postpone his upcoming book tour to undergo diagnostic cardiac testing at the Mayo Clinic’s campus in Jacksonsville, FL tomorrow. The procedure will determine what, if any, additional medical attention may be required.

“I’ve been working on the book for years and am grateful for all the support I’ve received in putting it together,” says Allman. “As soon as doctors give me the thumbs up to go back on the road, I will be heading out onto my book tour and I can’t wait to meet all of my fans.”

Allman missed the final night of The Allman Brothers Band’s recent Beacon run due to a slipped disc in his back. He also sat out portions of The Allman Brothers Band’s shows at Live Oak, FL’s Wanee festival this past weekend. The Allman Brothers Band co-founder will release his first memoir My Cross to Bear on May 1. He was expected to make a number of in-store appearances this spring.

According to a press release, “if there are no complications, doctors advise that Allman’s tour will be delayed only one week and will now kick off on May 8. Allman will also tour with the Allman Brothers Band later this summer; tour dates to be announced on May 1.”

Comments

TCinNYC April 26, 2012, 15:14:42

Gregg. Please, take some time off. Getryourself right, even if it means cancelling your summer plans, heck, all your plans for a while. Your fans want to see you healthy, happy & vibrant, not suffering & unable to play full shows. Take a break, & come back when your ready. We’ll still be here. Peace.

PM April 26, 2012, 16:13:56

YES , PLEASE Gregg take some time off your health is more important.

Chucky cheese string April 26, 2012, 16:23:47

He needs to chillaaaaaax.

Mike April 26, 2012, 16:30:10

Get well Gregg! I’m with everyone else- I hope he drops off the map for a bit, gets well and relaxes. We love Gregg too much to want to see him in this pain.

Tampa Rick April 26, 2012, 17:21:35

I’m with the others. Kick back – relax -realize that you are well loved out here – get better and see you at Wanee next time. BTW Needle and Damage Done was scary good!
Rick

Jonathan April 26, 2012, 18:10:01

Yup, take a load off Gregg! Do you for a while, kick back by the river, and rest up. Wanee was the best yet and “Needle and the Damage Done” still has me completely floored!...coulda heard a pin drop in that crowd Saturday night. Thoughts and prayers!

Cloudy Knight April 26, 2012, 19:29:57

I don’t know where the idea that his book is coming out May 1 came from. I just read it. Got it from my local library. It’s a great read, and I’d recommend it to any Allman Brothers fan. I’d also recomend “Skydog: The Duane Allman Story” by Randy Poe. He’s had some harrowing health scares these last few years. I’m with all of the above commentors who ask Greg to take time off to get healthy before going back on the road. We don’t want him to end up like a certain guitar player that didn’t know when to take a break from touring and is no longer with us.

Lee April 26, 2012, 21:35:48

Maybe he knows he won’t be well and is doing what he wants to do and not what people think he should do. If you are an Allman Brother you probably should play with the Allman Brothers until you can’t possibly do it anymore. Remember that Levon just played a month ago.

Sam Wilson April 26, 2012, 21:41:32

Still hope Dickey Betts writes his side of the ABB story. Am I the only one?.

KB April 26, 2012, 23:05:43

We love you Greg. I doubt Dickie will write his book, unfortunately. It’s hard to write when you are wasted. I love that guy though…

Cloudy Knight April 26, 2012, 23:29:35

No, Sam Wilson, you’re not alone in that. It would be great to read Dickie’s view of everything, but KW is correct. Dickie’s lucky if he’s sober enough to READ a book, nevermind write on.

Dave April 27, 2012, 07:41:25

KB & Cloudy. You don’t have any idea what you are talking about. You DO NOT know Dickey Betts. All you know are the lies & extreme exaggerations told by jealous band members. Greg & Butch are nothing more than pissed off little pussies. There wouldn’t even be a ABB without Dickey. Get your facts straight before you decide someone’s fate. Dickey Betts is more of a man and more of a “Brother” than that sorry POS Greg will ever be. Long live the Ramblin’ Man!

Chowdah April 27, 2012, 09:31:30

Slipped disc from bearing the cross….

JTR April 27, 2012, 15:22:22

I don’t know Dickey Betts either…but I’ve been around him many times and personally know a member of his crew. He’s a drunk. That doesn’t mean Greg is a angel but please…don’t try to paint Dickey as a poor victim to lies / rumors. I saw him on Block Island a few years ago…so drunk he could barely function on stage and had lost his false teeth so he could barely sing. His crew had to hide the booze on the ferry ride back to the mainland. Fact.

JohannalRenfro May 18, 2012, 09:28:10

How did the concern for Gregg Allman end up with Dickey?
I saw him here in Redondo Beach, 2 years ago…he stunk. Worst show I’ve ever seen and threw fits, threw shot glasses, smashed a vintage Les Paul onstage, walked off, yelled at his own crew…..he sucked. I feel so bad for Duane Betts…the Kid is great! And played his ass off….Dickey Betts & Great Substance?.....yawn.
Get well Gregg! We all Love you, and YOU are the reason the ABB are still around. Period.