Published: 2012/04/27

Bob Weir Pays Tribute to Levon Helm Too

Helm and Weir in 2009

Last night, Bob Weir performed a Charlottesville, VA’s Jefferson Theatre as part of his first ever solo acoustic tour. For his encore, Weir honored Levon Helm with a cover of The Band classic “The Weight.” Before the song, Weir said, “I don’t have to tell you who this one’s dedicated to.” “On the other side of the country,”:http://www.jambands.com/news/2012/04/27/phil-lesh-s-quintet-reunites-pays-tribute-to-levon-helm/Weir’s Furthur/Grateful Dead partner Phil Lesh also paid tribute to Helm with covers of The Band’s “Acadian Driftwood” and Elton John’s “Levon” at Terrapin Crossroads. During last night’s performance, Weir also offered a solo take on the recently revived “My Brother Esau” and explained how members of The National persuaded him to rework the long-shelved song for The Bridge Sessions.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via Ratdog.org

Thursday, April 26, Jefferson Theatre, Charlottesville, VA

Set I: Hell in a Bucket, My Brother Esau, Blackbird>Maggie’s Farm, El Paso, Liberty, Dear Prudence>Let It Grow

Set II: Mexicali Blues, Twilight Time,Money For Gasoline, Peggy-O, Bird Song, Most of the Time, Sugar Magnolia

E: The Weight

Comments

howie April 27, 2012, 15:58:45

Nice Bobby!!! Cant wait for the Colonial show!!!!!

Gratephul April 27, 2012, 22:06:18

How many lyrics does bobby miss during these shows? i can’t even imagine regardless, i would love to be able to make it to one

J April 27, 2012, 22:49:09

Bobby was a little shaky early last night, but caught fire set 2. Cliche’, but sugar magnolia was worth the price on its own. I thought it was awesome

ujb April 28, 2012, 00:35:40

here’s a video of the performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZmtP8OEnM

Shaun April 28, 2012, 17:26:00

How long was this show? Seems kinda short, for an acoustic show… Great songs all, and some surprises (Dylan’s “Most of the Time”?) too, but just 16 songs spread across two sets and an encore? Still, I’d love to him… Too bad he’s not coming anywhere near me.

Amsel April 29, 2012, 11:38:10

I have an extra ticket for Colonial tonight! Because they changed it to a Sunday night, my BF can’t go. I am going anyway because I wouldnt miss this for anything but need to find someone who wants to go and couldnt get a ticket. 2nd row!!! Just want to get back what I paid, or close is ok too! Shame to have an empty seat! email me farckle2002@msn.com There has got to be someone out there who is cool and didnt get a ticket. I am leaving around 4:30 so if you don’t get to me by then…well… you missed it.