Published: 2012/05/16

Jimmy Herring and Victor Wooten to Co-Headline 2012 Tour, John Bell Reflects on H.O.R.D.E, Sunny to Sit in Tonight

A view of Herring in the studio via his Facebook page

A full two decades after they toured the Southeast on the first H.O.R.D.E. in 1992, Widespread Panic/Aquarium Rescue Unit guitarist Jimmy Herring and Flecktones bassist Victor Wooten will co-headline a tour later this year. The two groups will head out with their respective solo groups while Panic and The Flecktones take the rest of the year off. As previously reported, Herring is currently working on his second solo album with musicians like Etienne Mbappe, Jeff Sipe, Matt Slocum and Neal Fountain. Wooten will also release a pair of albums: Words & Tones, which features a number of Female vocalists, and Sword & Stone, an instrumental rendition of the same recordings. The musicians will confirm their tour plans in the coming weeks.

In related news, Widespread Panic John Bell recently reflected on the first H.O.R.D.E. tour as part of an exclusive interview tied to the April/May issue of Relix. When describing the Flecktones, Bell says:

We were very familiar with Spin Doctors and Blues Traveler and Phish and obviously ARU. When we did the southern run with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, we were like, “Holy crap, there are other bands that embrace this Aquarium Rescue Unit kind of mentality. To watch the Wootens, the combination of technical ability and improvisational and intuitive skills was just off the charts. It was great to be able to play your set and then watch this stuff go down. It felt really good

Bell also talks at length about the planning that went into the first H.O.R.D.E., his musical highlights from that first year and the time his dad scolded him after a Rolling Stone article reported on the H.O.R.D.E. bands drinking Dewar’s out of a measuring cup.

Though Herring is currently in the studio and Bell is enjoying some time off, Widespread Panic percussionist Sunny Ortiz will perform this evening. He is slated to sit in with The HEAP at Athens, GA’s The Melting Point.

Comments

Edit much? May 16, 2012, 20:48:49

I know you probably get tired of people correcting your site, to which you’ve retorted with the argument that “it’s free so get over it,” but seriously, what the hell? I’m pretty sure 1992-2012 is 20 years, which would be 2 decades I believe. You also managed to name the same person twice in the same sentence (Fountain, Slocum, Fountain?) Or is there 2 Neal Fountains? Free or not, take some pride in your work and make sure it’s done correctly, not just quickly….

me May 16, 2012, 20:51:24

it was a really long decade

jsmile May 16, 2012, 21:51:45

I agree, there seems to be a lack of oversight and editing on what amounts to a simple paragraph (not like we’re talking about a New Yorker article here). Nonetheless, sometimes I wish the nineties did last a little longer.

jambands.com May 17, 2012, 00:09:30

That was a typo, thanks for the correction as always

steve May 17, 2012, 10:27:05

As I contributor to the site I would like to say that the folks at jambands.com do a great job. They aren’t running a multi million dollar site and many articles are voluntarily written by genuine fans of live music, not journalists or ethnomusicologist. If a few grammatical errors get you hung up then VOLUNTEER to edit for the site, I am sure they would love the help. If you can’t do that, then maybe you should take the old advice and only speak when you have something positive to say.

tourdates fan May 17, 2012, 11:34:39

I find the site to be awesome, but I cannot find these tourdates on jimmy’s site or Vic’s site, so I would have like to have seen a link to these dates in the article. Maybe the dates aren’t announced yet?

TidewaterPhan May 17, 2012, 14:16:14

the tourdates have not been announced yet

Grey May 17, 2012, 23:37:47

WOW!!! It never ceases to amaze me when I’m witness to someones ego run riot. Those of you who feel so compelled to point out mistakes that don’t greatly impact the message of an article, really need to build some self esteem. The bigger the ego the lower the self esteem. It would be understandable if you were being paid to be so critical…or if you were the one paying someone to edit. We all know no one is perfect, so when you stop making mistakes, maybe then you won’t look so petty when offering your unsolicited advise.

Grey May 17, 2012, 23:39:39

PS – I am aware of the irony of my statement….I can’t help but laugh at it. HA!

@Steve & @Grey May 31, 2012, 15:51:08

There is no hang up, and I don’t have an inflated ego because I point out a couple editing errors in an article. I noticed them and for the first time took a second to make them known. My comment wasn’t meant to be rude so much as it was informative with a hint of curiosity about the sites quality control. But as a genuine live music fan and daily reader of the site, it’d be nice to see just a few more seconds worth of effort before the articles are posted. I appreciate greatly the info they provide, but all it would take is one more proofread before finalizing. It doesn’t ruin my day, but I don’t think it’s asking that much either. Sorry my comments got your panties all in a bunch….

@Steve & @Grey May 31, 2012, 16:11:20

If it were my site and/or my article, I would want to be made aware of any mistakes, regarding either information or grammar. I can understand it came across a little holier-than-thou, but it has nothing to do with ego, of which I have little to none, or self esteem, of which I have plenty. It is simply quality control. Aside from that fact, I posted about the article, which is relevant to all. You took the time to comment on a comment to try and make yourselves sound as though you’ve never done the same. If you’ve never corrected anyone or dispensed “unsolicited advice” in your lives, then I’m total a dick. Otherwise, I’d say you’re no better. Good day….