Published: 2012/05/18

Black Sabbath Drummer Bill Ward Pulls Out of Reunion Gigs, Removed from Photos on Band’s Website

Black Sabbath Sans Bill Ward via the Group’s Website

Earlier this week, Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward announced that he was pulling out of the band’s upcoming reunion gigs in a letter posted to his website. As the statement reads:

I sincerely regret to inform you that after a final effort to participate in the upcoming Sabbath shows a failure to agree has continued. At this time I have to inform you that I won’t be playing with Black Sabbath at the Birmingham gig dated May 19th, 2012, nor will I be playing at Download on June 10th, 2012. Further, I will not be playing at Lollapalooza on August 3, 2012.

It is with a very sad heart that I bring you this news. I am sincerely passionate in my desire to play with the band, and I’m very, very sorry that it’s fallen to this. This statement is even more painstaking to write, as I was particularly excited to play alongside Tony Iommi after the recent treatments he underwent. I wanted that to become a reality.

Black Sabbath later responded to Ward’s statement with one of their own, which reads:

We have decided not to make any detailed comment on Bill’s latest statement. There are two sides to every story. We have been working hard at rehearsals making excellent progress after Tony’s treatments and we have engaged a substitute drummer for the forthcoming shows. See you at Download.

The group has now gone to even further lengths, by removing Ward from numerous pictures on the Black Sabbath website (see the image above).

Black Sabbath announced their reunion tour and a new album last year. Ward refused to participate under the group’s terms and so Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler responded to Ward’s announcement with a statement saying, “We have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open.”

Comments

jimmyjam May 18, 2012, 17:01:50

Sharon Osbourne is a horrible person for doing this and the 3 other members are worse for allowing it. NO BILL – NO SABBATH

Cloudy Knight May 18, 2012, 17:12:16

I notice that no one is saying what the actual problem is. Are they offering him less $ than the other guys? Is his drumming not up to par? Some way, some how, we should be told what the problem is.

dude May 18, 2012, 20:09:04

Fucking old assholes, get over it, your no god, who gives a shit about your little bs. Get off your high horse and have fun before you die, an old, selfish bastard

DrasticJasper May 18, 2012, 21:35:21

Supposedly they wanted him to play for free and only on three songs so I think it’s a combination of both they are greedy and he can’t play as well as he used to

Supernaut May 18, 2012, 21:59:21

Agreed. Something more going on. 64 year old drummer with a heart condition may be the issue. I agree with no Bill, no reunion, but at the same time the other 3 can’t really say “he’s not what he used to be.” I’d love a clear explaination.

cosmicbein May 19, 2012, 08:57:16

I saw a Black Sabbath reuinion in the early 2000,s the show was very short and Ozzy sucked.This whole issue is about $ $ $.These guys arent playin for the love anymore or they wouldnt be shittin on their drummer.The reuion is not a reuion without Bill Ward.Black Sabbath is not Black Sabbath without Bill Ward.Where is your heart Ozzy Osborne?Im boycotting this bull shit Billy,im on your side.Tony and Geezer wake up,life is too short.Ozzy you sold out a long time ago man,shame on you for dumpin your brother.

WarPig May 19, 2012, 09:59:59

‘cosmicbein’ is right. It ain’t BS without the four members and therefore is NOT a reunion. Silly old geezers. Do it right or don’t do it at all. I’ll pass on this one.

Yossarian May 19, 2012, 11:22:33

I caught a Heaven and Hell show in ’07, and that’s enough modern Sabbath for me. The stuff with Dio didn’t feel like a cash grab to me, but this does, and I feel like if Dio were alive this “reunion” never would have happened. I’m sad that Tony has cancer, but he’s been milking the Sabbath name for cash for a long time. It’s a shame that in his mid 60s (and in the middle of a life threatening ailment) he’s still pulling this crap.

Tim May 19, 2012, 12:07:44

They don’t need the cash. Bill has been having issues for years. When he’s not in Sabbath, he’s not drumming, so I do think it’s because his playing isn’t good enough. He’s been in the band six different times too, so it’s not like he’s dependable. Amazing guy, but not so reliable. However, I’ve seen the original Sabbath four times over a span of years, 1999-2005, and each time, Bill was fantastic. On the 1998 spring tour, Vinny Appice replaced Ward while Ward recovered from a heart attack, and he was fantastic, and as we know, has been in Sabbath three times himself, so if he were on the drums, I would still feel it is a viable and capable reunion. The only other ex-Sabbath drummer that could fit well would be the late Cozy Powell, though even if Eric Singer, Bev Bevan, Bobby Rondinelli, or Terry Chimes sat behind the kit, at least you’re dealing with former members of the band. But when you start putting Ozzy’s 23 year old solo band drummer back there (which is what they’re gonna do), or the dude from Faith No More, you’re really stretching it.

Tim May 19, 2012, 12:07:44

luke cross May 20, 2012, 03:46:41

So looking at the comments, none of you have read the statement, there is no money in Birmingham gig as all the proceeds are going to help the heroes. So Bill is being a c@#k for not doing a charity gig. There is very little money to be made at download as the stage production take majority of the money so even ozzy and tony are getting pennies for that gig. The real money is in the album sales as that will generate the big money, so y don’t bill just do the gigs and then talk about the album later. It is Bill who is being the idiot here….......and by the way…......sharon osbourne only manages ozzy commitments not the whole band jimmyjam

Supernaut May 20, 2012, 18:24:12

Did you see the set list from the gig? Sorry, I think Bill is a great drummer, but I doubt he could get through that list. It was almost twice as long as the 2005 reunion tour. Also learned that Bill’s attorney “advised” BS to take all his images off the official website. Looks like we are seeing the other side of the coin now.

squealy May 21, 2012, 09:29:19

Not gonna take sides on this but I went to the gig at the O2 on Saturday night and Sabs were awesome. Sorry Bill couldn’t be there; that would have made it even better, but it was great nonetheless.

DANERKATOR May 21, 2012, 11:23:29

According to sharon she only manages ozzy not sabbath and she had nothing to do with it. But who knows! RIP Dio I saw the second to last Heaven and Hell show it was soooo good!! Glad I was there!! Last time I saw Sabbath with ozzy was in 04 ozzfest and Judas Priest stole the show they were sooo good! Ozzy’s vocal was so bad i left for the parking lot and beat the traffic!!

Daniela May 21, 2012, 17:52:41

If no one knows the facts butt out and keep your thoughts to yourself. The truth will out, sabbath rocks. Saw them last in Hesket village hall Cumbria in the early days magic .

Daniela May 21, 2012, 17:56:02