Published: 2012/05/25

Robert Pattinson May Play Levon Helm in a New Film

Twilight and Harry Potter star Robert Pattinson may play Levon Helm in a new movie about The Band, according to a recent article in Indiewire. The article points to a recent interview where Pattinson says, “I’m going to do a movie about The Band, the one that played with [Bob] Dylan. [It’s] a beautiful script about the nature of songwriting.” Helm—an actor himself—would have turned 72 tomorrow. Members of The Levon Helm Band will honor his legacy with a special ramble at his Woodstock, NY-area barn.

Comments

Debbie Downer May 25, 2012, 11:23:04

Nope, nope, nope….. Jamie Fox, Joquein Phonix…these are the kind of actors you want making movies about yuor favorite musicians….The face of Twilight is now the face of one of my favorite bands… In the words of Hall and Oates…I can’t go for that

WordIsBorn May 25, 2012, 11:56:11

Under absolutely no circumstances is this okay. Fuck you, Hollywood.

wilceaux May 25, 2012, 12:28:50

In that Indiewire article, it doesn’t say that he will play Helm, it just quotes him as being in the film. And no one associated with The Band or Levon knows anything about this film, apparently.

Steve May 25, 2012, 12:57:47

Stay away from Jeff Buckley. Stay away from Levon Helm.

Hunter May 25, 2012, 13:28:37

What slap in the face that would be to Levon, his family, The Band, The Midnight Ramble, Dylan, Woodstock and his Arkansas roots.

Jesse May 25, 2012, 13:42:04

Calm the fvck down, people. Maybe he’s a good actor. I’ve not seen him in anything, and I would guess that neither have any of you. It’s not going to be about vampires and idiot teenagers. Understand that the Twilight series is make believe and that he is an actor.

boo hall May 25, 2012, 14:46:21

My,my the haters are so funny. No problem Robert has real support out here..

Bosephus May 25, 2012, 14:53:21

Watch “water for elephants,” and tell me he’s a shitty actor. He didn’t write twilight, he was just lucky enough to be the star of it. Wouldn’t all of you if you got paid $10 million a movie?

A fan May 25, 2012, 15:09:31

If you want to know an artist’s story, listen to their music, read all you can, go to their concerts, support them in every way you can. Enjoy and appreciate the artist in their time and you won’t need to make a crappy biopic. No one would be good enough to appear in a movie about the band, because how could you improve on the original. I hope that this film never sees the light of day. No matter how well they pull off a role, Joaquin Phoenix is not Johnny Cash, Jamie Foxx is not Ray Charles and Robert Pattinson will never ever be Levon Helm.

Debbie Downer May 25, 2012, 15:41:07

For those that call us “haters”.... You say it is no big deal, this Vampire dude took 10 million to make a movie… I call that compromise, a word that was not in Levon’s vocabulary. A man who will compromise his work/art is not fit for portryaing a man that would never compromise that which means the most to him.

ephriendly May 25, 2012, 16:45:36

Are you people kidding me? The kid isnt taking Levon’s place, he’d be playing him in a movie. A make believe event called a movie, that stars actors. Actors who are never the people they are portraying in real life. Not sure if you guys know, but Mr. T is not really a boxer, and oh my Daniel Day Lewis isnt Abraham Lincoln. Debbie you talk about compromise, Im sure he compromised when he was in The Band, because a band cant exsist without compromise. So silly. Or is it just too soon?

Don't know what u missing May 25, 2012, 16:52:24

Whatever part Rob plays he will be brilliant. He appreciates music (he plays piano and guitar) and the art of cinema…twilight was a means to start his career. He is one to watch….really good actor (aside from mega franchises)

A fan May 25, 2012, 17:21:29

Really ephriendly? Movies are pretend? Wow! You’re enlightened me. Explain to me the reason why people Jamie Foxx still seems to believe that he’s Ray Charles. My point wasn’t that Pattinson is trying to take Levon’s place. My point is that no actor regardless of who they are could do the man justice. Yeah it’s too sooner and 15 years down the road would also be too soon.

WordIsBorn May 25, 2012, 17:27:59

And my point is that this kid is a shitty actor. I’ve seen more of his movies than I care to admit, and he’s shit in all of them (except maybe the Harry Potter one). A pretty face with teenage fans and a pretty girlfriend. Also, BRITISH! Fuck this, and, again, fuck you, Hollywood. The movie itself doesn’t bother me, but let’s hope this kid doesn’t get the Levon part. Robby, on the other hand, would be fine. HA!

ephriendly May 25, 2012, 18:41:50

A fan – what are you talking about? Jamie Foxx thinks he’s still Ray Charles? I could of sworn hes done interviews and films since then and not once did he come off as Ray Charles. And about your comment Im not even sure i read it till now, so i didnt really take into consideration ‘your point.’ But now that i have, i’m curious what this means as well: “I hope that this film never sees the light of day. No matter how well they pull off a role.” So even if the movie is done well and the actors do a good job, they shouldnt release the movie because they arent the real “Band”? As a presumed fan of the Band, im wondering why youre suggesting that a movie done well about a band u like shouldnt be released? Wont it only spread the word of their music to the world? Which would validate your first sentence…‘If you want to know an artist’s story, listen to their music, read all you can, go to their concerts, support them in every way you can’

ephriendly May 25, 2012, 18:41:51

DesiVW May 25, 2012, 19:47:37

relax people, have any of you actually listened to his singing, piano playing, realize that he follows great musicians…he would do a fine job and has done his homework, unlike possibly most of you.

HeddyNuggets May 27, 2012, 20:36:43

I think he’d make a great Richard Manuel.
Just sayin

shane May 27, 2012, 23:51:54

The Band have enriched my life immeasurably. Would it not be a good thing if the young were introduced to their music 40 years later. I love the enthusiasm that this young actor brings to the prospect of bring such a story. The Band biography Ácross the Great Divide’screams out for adaptation

shane May 27, 2012, 23:51:56

shane May 27, 2012, 23:52:54

MeKo February 1, 2014, 22:26:18

I am a huge admirer of Levon Helm, a brilliant musician and inspiring human being. A movie based on his life that would be handled with respect and honesty would be a wonderful tribute and bring his music to the generations that will never hear him play live. Tell Levon’s story or as Levon implored his family and bandmates-“keep it going.”