Published: 2012/05/30

Ween Breakup is News to Dean Ween

In an interview with Rolling Stone intended to promote his solo debut Marvelous Clouds, Ween frontman Aaron Freeman revealed that he plans to retire his Gene Ween moniker and “close the door” on his longtime band. As reported by The Av Club, on his private Facebook page Freeman’s Ween partner Mickey “Dean Ween” Melchiondo admits that the band’s breakup “is news to me, all I can say for now I guess.” In his interview with Rolling Stone, Freeman says he harbors no hard feelings about Melchiondo or the rest of the band.

It is unclear if Freeman’s statements were taken out of context or if he plans to work with Melchiondo under his given name. Ween has taken several hiatuses in recent years and has not released a major studio album since 2007’s La Cucaracha. Freeman will perform at Philadelphia’s World Cafe Live on June 21 with the Marvelous Clouds band.

Comments

john k. May 30, 2012, 13:54:21

Sounds par for course with Gener lately. He was so off his game when I saw him here in Seattle last year and the night before in Vancouver was just a nightmare. It’s like he’s gone rogue and has harbored these thoughts for a while. Could it be possible some label agent is trying to get him out of the band?

rust May 30, 2012, 14:44:49

bummer… but we will wait a couple years and hopefully everyone is still alive and they can blow me away again. Halloween 2010 in Broomfield was silly good. Hey mister, will you please ride my pony?

Falling Out May 30, 2012, 18:59:21

What happened to make Gener suck so much ass? He could’ve at least called up Deaner to talk about it first. It’s hard to think of Aaron as anything but a colossal jerk to break up a legendary band in a fit of sour grapes the way he did.

WhatDeanerWasTalkinAbout May 30, 2012, 18:44:19

Don’t shit where you eat, my friend.

timmy May 31, 2012, 13:10:10

Nooo! One of my all time faves. Gener has certainly been acting the fool in recent years. Although I saw them just two years ago in St. Paul, and they were on fire. I don’t know what this is all about. Sounds like he’s serious. Very much a dick move, if true.

Sean Cronin May 31, 2012, 14:23:08

Never have understood this man, perhaps i haven’t listened to the mollusk enough times. really don’t care, just had to be the one to say it, if nothing else, excited that ‘headlining’ sets at festis won’t be bought up by the weener

Mike May 31, 2012, 22:58:58

@ WhatDeanerWasTalkinAbout You win. No post can top that.

birthdayboyvancouver June 1, 2012, 02:50:52

I wish Aaron the best. He gave all he could to Ween, but in recent years his heart just wasn’t in it, and you could tell. He’s not the only one though. Ever since people rejected La Cucaracha, the boognish has been absent from Ween’s affairs. Deaner hasn’t really had a stake in Ween of late either.

Rumpuncherz June 1, 2012, 03:21:28

This news brings much sadness.
Much much sadness.

dave klingbeil June 2, 2012, 23:27:43

i blam dave drewitzh (jew bass player). just look at him.
i heard perry farrell wants to play with deaner.

joe June 3, 2012, 12:55:23

silverlining=MOISTBOYZ

rob g June 11, 2012, 20:46:36

seen them at aragon ballroom 6/2010 and i knew it, 2days after they left gener on stage,, i am afraid to say,, gean,, gean,, the roses are dead….. and all the ween has gone green

mikeyp July 8, 2012, 02:06:23

I’m glad to have seen them twice, glad they where a band, the blarney stone brings a tear to my eye

Angi October 7, 2012, 10:19:32

So sad..i saw them 2 times..once in 2006 at revolution in ft. Laurderdale..and again in 2011 in Columbus, Oh…The show in Columbus was cut short..people were throwing stuff at them..i was so upset..still nevertheless..one of my all time favorite bands…