Published: 2012/06/09

Phish Nods to Ween Break-Up During Worcester Night Two

Mike Gordon warms up backstage in Worcester. Photo via @Phish_FTR

Phish returned for a second night at Worcester, MA’s DCU Center on Friday. Following a well-received tour opener the previous night, the band once again impressed crowds with a show that left behind numerous highlights that have already begun to fall under the discerning eye of Phish’s obsessively-analytic followers.

While the show relied more heavily on Phish staples than the previous night’s rarity filled spectacle, highlight moments emerged in some unexpected places, including a nod to the recently broken-up Ween with an extended jam on their cover of “Roses Are Free.” “Free” also reemerged as the opener of the first set, as it did on December 28, 2011 during the band’s New Year’s run at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Once again, the second set was highlighted by a series of extended improvisational journeys, such as the “Down with Disease” into “Sand” into “Nellie Kane” combo, in addition to strong versions of “2001” and “Character Zero.” For the encore, Phish revived the much-loved pairing of “The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony” into “Suzy Greenberg.”

Phish heads to Bonnaroo next, where they will close out the festival with a headlining, two-hour set on Sunday.

Comments

Dogface June 10, 2012, 09:32:35

I thought Phish was playing two sets tonight. They are scheduled for four hours 8-Midnight.

harry hood June 10, 2012, 12:41:05

is it just me or is there nothing about phish nodding to ween break up in this article

Tim June 10, 2012, 12:50:04

Playing “Roses are Free” isn’t really a nod to Ween. They play it every other show these days. A nod would have been if they busted out “The Blarney Stone” or something

Me June 10, 2012, 15:54:44

Is it too early for a Ween tribute album?

Me June 10, 2012, 15:56:28

Is it too early for a Ween tribute album?

ben June 10, 2012, 19:18:06

To the author- Correlation does not imply causation.

Robert Champion June 12, 2012, 16:30:34

Phish nods to Ween? I am pretty certain they always play Roses Are Free. Does the writer of this article know what a nod is?

Ayoub July 12, 2012, 00:00:57

OH Meredith .I could not do without my moirnng espresso! I make my own, and use fairtrade grounds, add 1/8 tsp demarra sugar and a slash of chemical/hormone free milk. I admit to even being the cause of Jacob being a coffee drinker I get mine from my mother. I have just never been able to enjoy tea the way I can a great espresso-and yes, I drink it iced in the summer. I did give up sodas of all kinds a few years ago-a major feat for me, which I think is by far worse for you than coffee. I am sure you don’t drink those body eating chemical filled devils!As for your trip home after dropping your mom she probably cried the whole flight home. This moirnng in church I spontaneously started to cry as I had the thought in my head that in one month Jacob will be a NYC college student!

Loolii July 14, 2012, 01:16:48

, Biuye, I am good, But I miss my Daddee .. and looked at me with such an eixpessron that I forgot she is 4 (ok..going 5). That was funny but heart-wrenching at the same time. You know what I mean??? I gave her a hug and said it is only a couple more hours and you will see your Daddee and she smiled and nodded. I am however really glad to see the mark on her thigh healing nicely. As for Caleb, adorable and loves attention. Yes, it is his new trick where he tries different stances of standing and looks at us expectantly oh yes he wants applause. That tickled me endlessly. Your kids really made all the worries and troubles of the day seem nothing! Just thought you should know that, Daddee.