Published: 2012/06/21

Aaron Freeman Comments on Ween Break-Up

Aaron Freeman (aka Gene Ween) has issued a statement following last month’s news that he would be retiring his alias, thus putting Ween on indefinite hiatus. “It’s time to move on,” Freeman told Rolling Stone in an interview. “I’m retiring Gene Ween.” Freeman has been fairly quiet about the break-up since he made the announcement, but has now issued a statement that offers some insight into his decision.

I want to thank each and every one of you for all of your kind words and support,” he writes. “It means a lot. My decision to leave Ween, however interpreted, was absolutely not made in haste. It’s evolved over a decade’s worth of internal and external struggle. Know that I am extremely proud of all that is Ween. And while Mickey and I are going our separate ways, I wish him only the best. I will always have nothing but love and respect for what we created together. I need to now move on for myself and for my family. I still, as always, look forward to a future filled with music as Aaron Freeman.

Comments

Craig Judkins June 21, 2012, 11:25:02

Good for you, Mr. Freeman.

Justin Time June 21, 2012, 13:11:34

why did you post of a pic of Aaron Freeman’s father with this story?

Big jilm June 21, 2012, 13:17:19

Never thought last HalloWeen would be my last ween show! But I understand Aaron’s got to do what’s right for himself. The Stallion has been put out to pasture. Ween RIP

timmy June 21, 2012, 14:04:22

Truly sad news now confirmed. Ween means alot to me. I have listened to them religiously since Pure Guava. There has never been a band like them before and there will never be a band like them again. Their live shows were some of the best I’ve ever seen.(I’ve been to ALOT) Long live the Boognish. And may Brown always be the color of the rainbow in Ween-land.

mark June 21, 2012, 17:15:22

the sad deal is that gene killed ween because of his personal demons. and the rest of us will miss the greatness that was the duo of gene and dean due to gene’s appetite for liquor or drugs.

booger June 21, 2012, 18:03:01

Just a Jew looking for more money, I can not beleive that he is out on the road playing ween songs. This is so weak. They were my favorite band for the last 18 years.

dingo June 21, 2012, 19:05:41

look everybody!! Mel Gibson posts on Jambands….Go fuck yourself idiot for thinking it…choke on your own vomit for saying it… Booger= Nazi scum

Richard Shambles June 22, 2012, 00:23:41

Coming from a giant fan Aaron…. the way you handled this was a total dick move. Breaking up the band in Rolling Stone without telling the band? Not even Mickey? Really? You are one of my favorite songwriters but it looks like it’s time for me to separate the artist from the art. Peace.

Manuel Labor June 22, 2012, 09:13:10

Boo! La Cucaracha can’t be the last ween album. I’m hoping to see some more demos and unreleased ween songs in the future.

DANERKATOR June 22, 2012, 09:39:30

@ booger and dingo “heaven and Mel” First off if Aaron wanted more money he would of stayed in ween! He will be playing in front of hundreds instead of thousands!! I feel a reunion comin on!!!

T-Town June 26, 2012, 13:22:31

I agree with you, Mark. But keep in mind that those same demons were a major contribution to Ween. Booger, you should be ashamed of yourself

Shimonhead July 6, 2012, 12:39:15

So Deaner…how about putting the rod and reel and boat keys in the closet for a few weeks and start getting the unreleased tracks, demos, etc out to us?

Dale July 7, 2012, 00:18:17

MOISTBOYZ 5

jiblet July 8, 2012, 01:02:44

harsh stuff towards aaron from some of the ween fans… i think la cucaracha is a fine farewell album. lullabye, object, your party – as wise, lovely and weird as the brilliant quiet scorchers on their previous album. quebec was like a love letter, a really sad, depressing one… odd as it sounds, la cucaracha has the goofy evil fun we all love, but something more in there as well, jaded but resiliennt. i’ll always love ween. good luck to ALL of them, aaron, mickey, dave, glen and claude, you all made it so fun and unforgettable.

jiblet July 8, 2012, 01:03:10