Published: 2012/07/06

Furthur Cover Ryan Adams at Summer Tour Opener

Photo by Dean Budnick

Furthur kicked off their summer tour at Pawtucket, RI’s McCoy Stadium last night. Though last night’s show was the tour’s official opening night, the group played a series of rehearsal shows at Phil Lesh’s San Rafael, CA venue Terrapin Crossroads last week. During their second set, Furthur performed one of the songs they debuted at Terrapin Crossroads last week, the New Orleans classic “Hey Pocky Way,” for the second time.

The night began with three songs that often serve as show openers: “Dancing In The Street,” “Shakedown Street” and “Jack Straw.” Then the members of Furthur debuted Ryan Adams’ Cold Roses single “Let It Ride”, which Phil & Friends has played on several occasions. The Grateful Dead offshoot already cover four other Adams originals: “Bartering Lines,” “Magnolia Mountain,” “Peaceful Valley” and “Nobody Girl.” After meeting Lesh at the 2005 Jammy Awards, Adams played a few shows with the bassist. Lesh continues to cover his material with Phil & Friends as well and has invited several members of Adams’ former band the Cardinals to play his Terrapin Crossroads Rambles.

Furthur’s summer tour continues in Canandaigua, NY this evening. For more on Lesh, be sure to read our recent archival interview over on Relix.com.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via Philzone.org

Thursday, July 5, McCoy Stadium, Pawtucket, RI

Sugar Mag

Encore:
Liberty >
Uncle John’s Band

Comments

jambandguy July 6, 2012, 10:56:17

It is just, well….fun! I wish some rap guys would check thisout. Maybe they wouldn’t be so angry all the time.

A.j. July 6, 2012, 12:28:58

Set one is prett much my dream come true of terrapin was in there.

phishtronica July 6, 2012, 13:36:53

Wow. It’s amazing to me that people still go see all these differet regurgitations of the same crap these guys have been vomitting all over stages across the country for over 40 years. Get over it. Bobby and Phil both need to hang it up. They’re a cover band of themselves.

Cloudy Knight July 6, 2012, 13:50:46

. . . yet somehow they’re still 10x better than Phish has ever been.

Stagger Lee July 6, 2012, 16:45:21

Great show last night, awesome first set, especially the Reuben and Cerise. Too bad half the review here is trying to push the history of Ryan Adams in Dead-dom. Review the damn show and leave Adams where he belongs (in mediocrity).
And BTW, open your mind Phishtronica. Phil and Bobby are still putting out lots of good music. I am a huge Phish phan too, but last night’s Furthur show is the reason why the faithful keep coming back.

Gonzo July 6, 2012, 17:55:40

As far as ‘regurgitating crap’ goes, one word: Gamehenge.

cosmicbein July 6, 2012, 17:57:45

I think Phishtronica is a mean hater of a dude,its summer time bro,dont have the blues.Though you are entitled to your own opion,there is nothing to get over, as you stated in your comment.Different strokes for different folks,its all good .Smokem if you gottem, i do and it all sounds good.

KooKs July 6, 2012, 18:22:28

obviously Phistronica didn’t make it to this show.
Those of us in attendance don’t need words to describe what happened @ McCoy Stadium 7/5/12.

norma stitz July 6, 2012, 19:41:59

Whatever, I’m going to go jerk off.

dave July 6, 2012, 21:05:24

Great show last night. Who cares what the haters say. I love em all: Dead, Phish, Panic, String Cheese, YMSB, Etc. Etc. Etc. I love the reasoning that these morons always have: “You’re old, hang it up, regurgitated crap, so stop doing what you love, stop doing your job, stop making music.” Brilliant argument Phishtronica…

Jack July 6, 2012, 21:19:04

KooKs speaks the truth. That was one fine show. The impressive set listndoesnt do justice to the energy and tight jams. Those who think these guys should hang it up know nothing about tight jams… Last night they proved they get better with age, plus some good young blood and fresh takes on old standards of course. Amazing show. Thanks guys!

John July 6, 2012, 21:21:13

... Photo by Dean Budnick! Nice to see a Rhody guy able to cover his hometown show!

fdee July 7, 2012, 00:29:42

phish – was, is, always will be – BORING. FURTHUR ON

Luke July 7, 2012, 05:34:38

Keep on Truckin’ boys..

norma stitz July 7, 2012, 12:27:14

ALL BETTER WHAT A MESS

Yossarian July 7, 2012, 12:11:06

It blows my mind that the Dead/Phish crap is still going on. It also blows my mind that Phil is 72 and cutting back his touring schedule and people STILL give him hell for being out there at all. You guys would be happier if you weren’t always looking at things like spoiled, ungrateful children.

jim July 7, 2012, 17:20:44

phishtronica really intelligent comment- take some antidepressants and post on the Phish board-

jim July 7, 2012, 17:23:18

Ever notice how Dead fans never bring up Phish- We dont need to.

mb July 7, 2012, 21:01:01

The Dead are and always will be my all time favorite band. They changed the way I listen to music. That being said, I listen to a lot more Phish these days and I’m blown away by their awesome chops. What someone like phishtronica fails to understand is that there would be no Phish as we know it had the Dead not created the template for others to follow. Trey has said as much. Open your mind dude. You sound like a petulant sixteen year old. Long live the jams!

Sean July 8, 2012, 09:15:05

I find Phish quite dull. I found bliss at McCoy Thursday night.

Crazy Otto July 9, 2012, 12:31:37

At the very best Phish barely achieves mediocrity — AsTrey himself once said, if were not for the GD, their would be no jam band scene, no bonaroo, etc. Their music (as is the case w/ most jambands) simply takes no chances, no risks — nothing ventured; nothing gained . . . which is they at most will only be barely a footnote in musical history while the GD and the varoious post jerry incarnations has and will continue to live long beyond the time when each member checks out from this planet — herein lies the difference between real art and simple craft. The real deal lives of its own accord forever — alas Shakespeare, Mozart, Bach, Wagner, Van Gogh, Dylan, Beatles and the GD. The same cannot be said of any jam band presently in existence including Phish.

mb July 9, 2012, 16:36:25

Otto, crazy is the correct adjective alright! How many times have you actually seen Phish. I can tell you first hand. If your head is right, they can take you to the same place as Jerry and the boys do. What Phish learned from the Dead is that improvisational music can function as a sort of psychopomp, a real-time mandala that can serve as a focus of meditation. At their best, both bands play incredibly interesting and hypnotic dance music. Phish has chops that the Dead could never master. The Dead had Hunter and Barlow (and Jerry!). In the end, why does it have to be one or the other? It’s not a competition.

Crazy Otto July 9, 2012, 17:36:10

I’ve see Phish from the days they were playing fraternities (including mine) and college quads to the Cap Theater in Port chester to outdoor amphitheaters til about 2004. Great musicians, no doubt — yet simply lame, albeit unoffensive music — it doesn’t have to be one or the other — I just think they’re wussies for not playing “without a net.” — I feel that way about any musician/grou (or anyone in any endeavor for that matter) who play and/or work/ live w/out taking real chances. Phish’s music and most jambands’ music for that matter just doesn’t reach out and grab ya like the real deal does. And, MB — save the vitriol for another day lest you be accused of hypocrisy. Anybody can be an “on-line” tough guy — constructive critism is what I set out in this here market place of ideas. Ya don’t like my ideas attack them but don’t address ad hominum attacks — makes you appear unintelligent and lacking in self-control . . . an immature trait I see more and more in this generation of psuedo-hippies and trustafarians.

mb July 9, 2012, 19:59:10

Not quite sure how I have offended you. I have no vitriol. Just opinions. I’m trying to understand how your criticism is in any way constructive. Who is attacking who? Your name is Crazy is it not. I was simply giving my opinion which is that both bands are pretty dam good. Bye the way, crazy is a good thing. I will leave you with a simple thought. Phish honors the Grateful Dead every time they take the stage.

rick July 9, 2012, 21:09:48

if the band “debuted” Let It Ride then it’s impossible that the band played it publicly before. This is a professional journalist? Debuted means “first time,” dopey!

Crazy Otto July 10, 2012, 13:27:17

Go back and read your post which you begin by stating: “Otto, crazy the correct adjectice alright!” That is facially offensive, no matter how much you attempt to peddle backwards. I’m just calling you on it, that’s all. My criticism of Phish and most jamband music is that it takes very little, if any, real risk or chances. It is constructive in that I suggest such accomplished musicians would do better to take real risks/chances in their playing — I kinda think this is very implicit in my post. If not, I hereby make it express. If Phish and other jambands do it for ya, great — have at it. IMHO, no one takes you to the places that the GD did and some of the vrious post Jerry incarntions do — the Q being at the forefront of the latter and in many ways takes ya places the GD did not and vice versa.

BegsO July 10, 2012, 15:28:37

phishtronica has obviously not caught many phish shows this summer…just sayin…

fdee July 11, 2012, 00:34:33

At least I’m enjoying the ride….

Jim July 11, 2012, 16:22:05

I can understand why Further is playing Ryan Adams stuff. You know Jerry always loved both the countryish songs, what is now a whole genre Americana and also Jerry always had great love for the sad sweet song. Ryan Adams has that same love for that style of music and that love of the sweet sad song just like Jerry.

Trevor July 12, 2012, 17:54:51

The Omnipotent Grateful Dead have had many influences on musicians and fans around the world and music will never be the same because of them. That being said, Phish are also a great band and they are the only band that has touched my heart like the Grateful Dead did. They are like apples and oranges, they are much different but they are both great tasting fruits. Music is a matter of taste and opinion and there “ain’t no time to hate”. Why waste your breath on something you don’t understand. I have had fun seeing furthur, but Jerry is no longer here, and Phish are the best touring band right now on the scene. Hands down. I would still go see Furthur in a heart beat and have a great time and listen to great music. Peace, love, and Music!!!

Trevor July 12, 2012, 17:58:18

And for those that are open minded to music, I challenge you to check out Ryan Adams many different albums if you have not. He’s made some great stuff and there are many songs that sound like instant classics. Phil Lesh definately approves and Jerry may have too! Ryan Adams wrote a song called “Rosebud” and it’s about one of Jerry’s guitars.

mb July 13, 2012, 13:03:43

Well stated Trevor. I would hate to have to choose. After seeing dozens of Grateful Dead shows I was convinced that they alone had the power. In the words of the late Bill Graham, “They’re not the best at what they do. They are the only ones that do what they do.” What the current scene proves is that it’s hard to keep a secret. What bands as stylistically varied as Yonder Mountain and Particle understand is that the medium is the message. As with any psychedelic experience, the amazing stuff happens when you leave your ego behind. I see Jerry as the Johny Appleseed of consciousness. It bodes well for the next generation.

Furthur...? July 16, 2012, 10:02:25

This whole argument/debate on Phish not taking chances and the Dead is ridiculous. To say Phish doesn’t take chances is hands down one of the craziest things I’ve ever read. Furthermore, if anyone thinks that Furthur (see what I did there?) takes chances has either never seen Furthur, or doesn’t ‘get it’. They’re not letting the music play..they’re being fed on when to jam and when to change keys and when to go into another song by Phil. Go to a show, or even watch a video on YouTube and watch Phil. They’ll be in a jam, and he’ll go up to his mic, turn off his FOH mix and tell the band where to go. I’m sorry, but if Garcia was around, I’d be willing to put money on it that he would walk right over to Phil and slap him in the face for doing such a thing. Grateful Dead music is all about taking chances, and Furthur does the complete opposite. That’s why Furthur isn’t any good….well, that and ‘Jerry Jr.’