Published: 2012/07/19

Primus Announces 3D Tour

Primus will embark on the first-ever traveling 3D-enhanced musical performance this fall. Featuring two sets per evening, each show will also boast Quad Surround Sound. More details and full tour dates will be announced on Monday, July 30.

Primus heads to Gathering of the Vibes festival in Seaside Park in Bridgeport, CT this weekend where they will perform a headlining set this Saturday.

Comments

Simah August 9, 2012, 06:55:26

awesome video. brain rules. he would call the studio i was worinkg at a lot when he first got down with the gnr project. sounded like a mess from the get go. dude was like, i just wanna be home making beats on my mpc.

joe July 19, 2012, 16:09:24

damn 3d is all the rage right now.
i hope they play the filmore in SF, or the warfield.
either way Bobby made a bad mistake when he let Jay go.
Jay is the best jazz drummer in america, possibly Stanton Moore is up there too.
oh, and the guy from def leporad with one arm.

grey July 19, 2012, 16:49:11

Yes 3d is all the rage and normally Id think a 3d tour is a bit much but it seems like the perfect medium for Primus. You know Jay Lane was the original primes drummer almost 30 years ago. He also played in Claypools band ‘Sausage’ as well as on his ‘High Ball With the Devil’ solo disc (amongst others).

james July 19, 2012, 16:55:03

Stanton Moore is way better – no disrespect to Jay. Also those Popeye clips during setbreak at Primus shows last year were awesome.

Matthew July 19, 2012, 17:24:31

LOVE Stanton Moore, but I recently learned that he plays to an in-ear click track and thus I have lost a slight bit of respect for him (this coming from an industry professional). Give me Rodney Holmes any day, though! That man is invincible behind the kit. (Billy Martin is pretty alright in my books, too).

adks12020 July 19, 2012, 20:48:30

@Matthew…good call on Rodney Holmes. That guy is an animal. The group with Kimock, Holmes, Johnson, Stein was probably the most amazing band I’ve ever seen. Jay Lane is no slouch though. Joe Russo>Stanton Moore. I only compare those two because they are similar in their “beating the crap out of the drums at times” style.

schwadog July 19, 2012, 23:00:28

this will bee sweet they play 3d like alredy! and jay still plays with bobby, it was phil that let him go no offeince to phil but he just wanted full attention from the guys in further and primus is just tons of fun for jay not too play again and as soon as ratdog hits the road jay will be killin the dead tunes as bad ass drumers shood following the 2 greatest drumers to have 8 arms!!!!!:}

I call BS July 19, 2012, 23:46:49

Matthew I highly doubt your an industry professional…because if you were, you’d know why he plays to a click. Id be surprised if you are a decent drummer at all…because ALL musicians and any respectable drummer knows how much of a challenge it is to play to a click.

Dred July 20, 2012, 21:55:49

Yeah… who cares about those drummers? Herb completed their original sound. Nuff said. Yall sound like a bunch of ego boasting “oh, I know the best drummer let me tell you why” kinda guys. I play drums… and click tracks suck (but doesnt mean the drummer sucks)... but I’ll be damned if I start participating in this “here is why I am elite and why you probably suck” conversation. Losers. Go jack off to a picture of yourself.

bilbo July 21, 2012, 04:19:26

Are you guys insane? A 3D show? It is a concert. The band is there is person. It is already 3D. Are you telling me they are going to hand out eye glasses to the audience to stare at screens? This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Please tell me Primus that you have something more creative up your sleeve…

Pot calling kettle Dred July 21, 2012, 21:35:10

Dred…I don’t know how you are as a drummer but your definitely one of the funniest people I know. Your funny cuz you don’t even realize the irony of your post. You said, “I’ll be damned if I start participating in this ‘here is why I am elite and why you probably suck’ conversation“…thing is your whole post is just that. Its you saying why your cool and everyone else is a looser. I bet you take yourself so serious that you never realized when the people around you are making fun of you to your face.

Funkmaster July 26, 2012, 15:08:40

Not the 1st ever 3D concert.Everyones favorite band Kiss did it in 1998

Nobodyjam July 29, 2012, 06:40:52

This here f’ing brilliant, I want Furthur to take this up, add some tasteful 3D rendering of the fat man, keep his presence alive in an almost tangible way, how much closer to reincarnation could it get? And if you start riffing on rock drummers, it all stops at the undisputed king, Neil Peart. Somehow I bet Les saw that KISS tour, but grokked how 3D has made the quantum jump in quality to make it legit.

Lucio August 2, 2012, 16:11:42

Stewart Copeland all the way down… also Tim Alexander and Marco Minnemann. Pat Mastelotto… hell… there´s alot of good drummers.