Published: 2012/07/26

Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes Join Santana in Jersey

Photo by Dino Perrucci

Carlos Santana and The Allman Brothers Band’s co-headlining tour made its way to the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ last night. The Allman’s took their turn opening the show, with Santana closing out the show with a particularly memorable performance.

During the guitarist’s set, the Allman’s axe wielders—Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes—emerged for a medley tribute to Santana’s favorite Johns: John Lee Hooker and John Coltrane. The tribute featured a number of songs by each musician, both of whom Santana regularly champions as two of his biggest heroes. Santana joined Hooker on his 1989 album The Healer, and also collaborated with Coltrane’s wife Alice Coltrane on the 1974 album Illuminations. His sets often include covers Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme” and “Naima,” among others.

In addition, ABB percussionist Marc QuiƱones, who has a background in Latin music and regularly plays with various salsa bands, also joined Santana during his show-closing set.

The co-headlining Shape Shifter Tour heads to the Saratoga Perofrming Arts Center in Saratoga, NY this Friday where Santana will once again close-out the show.

Comments

Doug Reddick July 26, 2012, 13:13:51

Setlist?!?

mark July 26, 2012, 13:33:34

please someone get me the soundboard for that show or how can I get it???? That was one helluva time last night! the brothers and santana were firing on all cylinders..

Jason July 26, 2012, 17:14:22

Check allmanbrothersband.com and Santana.com for the setlists. Was a great show last night.

Wardy July 27, 2012, 03:35:08

This will be a hard soundboard to get. I had a great time what a show. 3 real passionate players

Rob July 27, 2012, 12:04:11

Tremendous show but that pic is not from the show at the PNC!

Mike L August 1, 2012, 16:59:32

The Allmans sell soundboards at their website

Pawan August 11, 2012, 18:06:14

I’ve always gone the Allman way. Just seems netear and easier to read.My main reference book is K&R (the bible), but I’ve never used their indent style. Besides, I code mainly in Vim, and the auto-indent happens to follow the Allman style.To be honest I’ve never really considered my indent style. My programs are only really ever seen by me, and so in general they’re fairly sloppy, usually filled with useless comments, and var names that have no reasoning. Everything just seems to get mildly obfuscated by the time it reaches my fingers.Of late, I’ve been writing programs for a microcontroller, since this is fairly new to me, I’m trying to write better code to help the learning process, but it doesn’t always work. The only think I am consistent with is my indentation style. a0|a0