Published: 2012/07/27

Relix Offers Exclusive Excerpt of Gregg Allman Autobiography My Cross to Bear

Gregg Allman has led a tumultuous and often tragic life. Following the murder of his father shortly after his second birthday, Gregg faced the losses of his brother Duane and later his bandmates Berry Oakley, Lamar Williams and Allen Woody. Along the way, he has suffered through addiction issues as well as six broken marriages. Allman doesn’t shy away from any of these topics in his forthright new autobiography written with Alan Light, My Cross to Bear. Of course, he has achieved a great measure of career success and what makes his story so gripping is the juxtaposition between the calamitous aspects and the majestic musical ones.

Our sister-site Relix.com is now offering an excerpt from My Cross to Bear, a passage that looks back at a formative era for The Allman Brothers Band. Duane Allman assembled the group in March 1969, completing the lineup by inviting his younger brother to return to Jacksonville, Fla., from an extended Los Angeles sojourn. It was all fast and furious from there, with the band soon moving to Atlanta at the behest of manager Phil Walden, performing free shows in Atlanta’s Piedmont Park and soon making their initial foray into the Northeast where the group swiftly discovered an enthusiastic fanbase that remains supportive to the present. In September 1969, The Allman Brothers Band cut their debut, self-titled album at New York City’s Atlantic Studios, which featured five Gregg Allman original compositions, including “Dreams,” “Whipping Post” and “It’s Not My Cross to Bear.”

Read the full excerpt here.

Comments

SAM WILSON July 29, 2012, 16:28:10

According to the book amongst other revelations Gregg Allman didn’t think much of The Grateful Dead or Jimi Hendrix and when he was a kid delighted in killing cats with a slingshot.

Eric July 30, 2012, 09:33:07

Hmmm, I read the book and your right about The Dead and Hendrix but I don’t remember reading about him liking to kill cats?

Bill Harriman July 30, 2012, 12:51:36

The book was excellent and there was nothing in it about killing cats. Also, it wasn’t that he disliked the Grateful Dead, it was that he disliked Jerry Garcia because Jerry once called him a narc.

TODD TAILOR July 30, 2012, 16:29:49

Check the book again, I did see Allmans mention as a kid killing cats with a slingshot.

Adetunwase August 9, 2012, 19:30:30

Just how fuckedup is this whole pteoentarisn. Bonnie Bramlett was married to Delaney, so I doubt she bedded superstars. This is the best version of this sone in my opinion, but having Jim Morrison all over the place is bullshit. That said, D&B is the shit.-Bodie007:-Bonnie wrote this tune with Eric Clapton (who was playing with them at the time) in mind, not herself Even though she and Delaney fought like cats & dogs and divorced a few years later.

Kulit August 11, 2012, 17:09:39

Gregg makes an interesting point that the mrajoity of consumer purchases happen within a very localised area.The problem I’ve had with some of my clients is convincing them that, although this is the case, they still need to have an online marketing strategy which will draw people from the local area.And you’re right it’s an AND situation. You need to have multiple pillars’ in your marketing strategy, and combining web with offline approaches even if you ARE only targeting local business is essential.

Richard M. January 14, 2013, 17:58:26

Possibly the biggest regret I have of the
“good old days” is that I ran face to face into Duane after a show they did on the fly in Erie, Co in the spring of 1971. I was an aspiring guitar player and was mesmerized by the bands playing. I could not speak as I was in such awe of what I had just seen and heard. Anyone that knows me will tell you for me to be speechless is almost unbelievable. I could tell he was ready to say a few words but I was just frozen. God knows how much I have regretted not speaking. If I had a similar opportunity today with Gregg,(doubtful because security is much more stringent these days), I would probably not shut up as I would have voluminous praise and thank yous for the sharing of his and Duanes’ incredible gifts !