Published: 2012/07/31

Phil Lesh Announces Friends for Telluride

On Sunday, September 16, Phil Lesh & Friends will perform two set at the 19th annual Telluride Blues & Brews Festival. Warren Haynes will rejoin Phil on guitar along with Lesh’s sons Grahame and Brian. The group will be rounded out by Furthur keyboard player Jeff Chimenti and drummer Tony Leone. The festival line-up also includes: Gov’t Mule, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Little Feat, Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Anders Osborne, Heartless Bastards and The B-52s.

Comments

Capt. TaTa August 14, 2012, 10:49:17

I’m coming to Telluride from Maine and I can’t wait to see the Family Lineup. Love Phil and love whoever plays with him!!

Mr.Eastwood July 31, 2012, 20:19:22

I’d like to make the request for Chris Robinson to join the stage with Lesh…just sayin’...I’ll probably still be shaking off the crippling hangover from the Beerfest the day before…

Dean July 31, 2012, 21:22:49

I saw Phil play with his kids. Save your money and stay home. They can play but are no where near a position where they should be on a stage for paying customers. AND this is putting it nicely.

Jdub July 31, 2012, 22:49:49

Watching Phil’s sons play all over these amazingly talented guitarists like Warren and Stanley Jordan is a cringeworthy embarrassment. It is one thing at the rambles, but it’s another in front of people paying a lot of money at a festival. Jill has gone too far on this one.

norma stitz July 31, 2012, 23:51:41

“Jill has gone too far on this one.” lol . Are they really that bad?

rat August 1, 2012, 00:12:34

i have to agree w/ the comments and say that Phils kids should not be on the stage in Telluride. They can play, but as a musician there is more to it then just know the notes or chords. My advice would be Phil’s advice many years ago, just Dose em” if you want to play at that level in a jam/psychedelic band I feel one has to “intake” the ether that those jams reside in. And the Vocals are just bad. Phils one son that plays mandolin has some potential!

Dad August 1, 2012, 05:34:52

Kinda like payin NASCAR ticket prices to watch Jeff Gordon push his kid around the track at Indy on a BigWheel.

gypsydavey August 1, 2012, 06:38:46

Did anyone see them at Vibes? Phil’s sons were with him, and the band sounded as good as any Phil & Friends lineup I’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing.

Yossarian August 1, 2012, 09:13:37

I wasn’t at Vibes or All Good, but I’ve got the shows and they weren’t bad. It’s interesting to hear the extra guitar and mandolin fill the places where you’d hear a keyboard- at some points it sounds really good. There’s potential, but I think it’s too much to have them singing lead when you’ve got Jackie, Larry and Theresa on stage. There isn’t a lot of jamming in either. I guess the way I feel is, I don’t mind them being there, but they should sit back and learn from the masters rather than diving right into a prominent role. Sometime down the road they could be great.

Yossarian August 1, 2012, 09:16:38

I’m hoping for Neal Casal to join them at Telluride… I’m really curious how he’s sounding with Phil, and the Terrapin Crossroads recordings usually don’t do it for me.

Johnnyeshelton August 1, 2012, 12:02:42

Saw yhem at the Vibes, great set! Phil seemed very happy and proud to have his boys out there with him. Who would begrudge him that? Plus they were secondary players to Larry and Jackie. Warren can more than adequately carry it off.

Dave August 1, 2012, 12:06:03

I think it’s pretty weak to come on here and bag on Phil’s kids. Brian and Grahame know all of the material very well. Are they of Warren and Jimmy’s caliber? Of course not. Few are. I’ve seen Brian and Grahame play with Phil and i’ve also seen them in a P&F rehearsal setting where they have impressed me and have shown much restraint in letting the big guns do their thing. Chris Robinson coming on stage blasted out of his mind and Jackie Green barely knowing the material is the real problem with P&F these days. Plus Phil is getting old and he wants to play with his kids, and he’s earned that. If you don’t like it, don’t go.

soul stu August 1, 2012, 16:40:17

You can wrap it up in hippie sunshine all you want… But bottomline is these kids are not musically capable of performing to this magnitude of an audience. They do not have enough experience at this point in their lives to deliver on the caliber that fans of this project deseerve to enjoy. I’m travelling halfway across the continent for this festival and Phil waits til now, after I’ve booked rooms and bought tickets to make this announcement? Thanks, Jill!

Iceman>Maverick August 1, 2012, 17:04:39

I have yet to see Phil play with his sons but have heard good things. Although Brian and Grahame are not the typical ‘Friends’ that fans expect to see, don’t forget Jeff and the powerhouse that is Warren!! Also, festivals don’t know who is playing with Phil when they recruit him. The best part is that Telluride Blues & Brews is already hosting an impressive crew of Phil’s ‘Friends’ – Bill Payne, Paul Barrere, Chris Robinson, Warren Haynes, Adam MacDougall … what I’m saying is, it’s going to be awesome. Wish I could be at Terrapin tonight for Jerry’s birthday celebration!

norma stitz August 1, 2012, 20:33:26

GOD DAMMIT JILL!!!!!

Daryanti August 9, 2012, 11:34:12

I was there. It was also the weekend of the Harmonic Convergence. Awesome enrgey, great vibe. I think Bill graham had a home in Telluride so he pulled out all the stops. One morning there was a drum procession led by Mickey.

Shekoexile August 13, 2012, 11:40:28

So I’ll be wandering up from New Mexico in the “hippie sunshine” we get just about day in, day out. For those “fans of the project” burning up a ton of jetfuel to get here but unhappy with the family style line up I’m sure the locals will be happy to help you out of your unwanted tickets so you can stay back in Jersey and enjoy the shore. Cheers!

Coloradobound August 16, 2012, 16:41:55

I’ve seen Phil with the kids several tomes at Terrpin Crossroads and I’m happy to see him enjoying being on stage all together with them.
But I hope someone else sings most of the vocals,..... I’m sure Chris Robinson will join in on at least a few numbers.
I plan to enjoy it no matter what!

Jim August 29, 2012, 18:54:22

I haven’t heard his kids in a live setting, just on some decent quality videos, but I don’t think they should be in the lineup on gigs like this. I’m sure it will still be enjoyable. I’m hoping Anders Osborne sits in with them. Or, that Phil plays at the Fais Do Do finale later that night.