Published: 2012/08/04

Bob Weir and Friends’ "Move Me Brightly" Fulfills Its Promise

Last night’s Move Me Brightly event at Bob Weir’s TRI Studios proved a fitting tribute to Jerry Garcia. The evening opened with a documentary directed by Justin Kreutzmann and hosted by Luke Wilson, which presented a variety of musicians offering their reminiscences of Garcia, including: Bill Kreutzmann, Mickey Hart, Carlos Santana, Dave Schools, Keller Williams, Perry Farrell, Jorma Kaukonen, Jack Casady, David Hidalgo, Mike Campbell and Sammy Hagar. The music began shortly afterwards and the core band for much of the evening featured Bob Weir, Mike Gordon, Joe Russo, Jeff Chimenti, Donna Jean Godchaux, Neal Casal and Jon Graboff. Gordon did not appear on the first song, however, as Phil Lesh made a surprise appearance (before heading over to Terrapin Crossroad to perform with Yonder Mountain String Band) on a run from “The Wheel” into “Cumberland Blues.” All told, nearly 20 players participated in the event, which offered nearly four and a half hours of music in a high quality stream from TRI. Weir handled his share of vocals but handed off many to his guests, who demonstrated thoughtfulness and passion as they sang a collection of classic Garcia-Hunter compositions (Casal’s “Ship of Fools,” “Gordon’s “Tennesse Jed,” Wilson’s “Mission In The Rain” and Lauderdale’s “Eyes of The World” were among the many highlights). The evening concluded with Weir leading his guests through a moving version of “Ripple,” a final fitting salute to his late friend and bandmate.

The performance will be rebroadcast on Yahoo music and also on SiriusXM’s Grateful Dead Channel.

Setlist: Move Me Brightly, TRI Studios

The Wheel > Cumberland Blues
Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Donna Jean Godchaux, Neal Casal, Jon Graboff, Jason Roberts, Joe Russo, Jeff Chimenti- Vocals: shared
Loser
Weir, Casal, Russo, Chimenti, Godchaux, Roberts, Graboff, Mike Gordon, Jim Lauderdale, Adam McDougall Vocals: Weir
Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
Weir, Gordon, Casal, Chimenti, Russo, Godchaux, Graboff, Jim Lauderdale Vocals: Lauderdale
Dire Wolf
Weir, Gordon, Casal, Chimenti, Russo, Godchaux, Graboff, Harper Simon, Josh Kaufman, Sam Cohen Vocals: Simon
Dupree’s Diamond Blues
Gordon, Casal, Chimenti, Russo, Kaufman, Cohen, Cass McCombs Vocals McCombs
Tennessee Jed
Weir, Casal, Russo, Chimenti, Godchaux, Roberts, Graboff, Gordon Vocals: Gordon
Ship of Fools
Weir, Casal, Russo, Chimenti, Godchaux, Graboff, Gordon Vocals: Casal
They Love Each Other
Weir, Casal, Russo, Chimenti, Godchaux, Graboff, Gordon, Jonathan Wilson Vocals: Godchaux and Weir
Bird Song
Weir, Casal, Russo, Chimenti, Godchaux, Graboff, Gordon Vocals: Weir
New Speedway Boogie
Weir, Casal, Russo, Chimenti, Godchaux, Graboff, Gordon, McDougall Vocals: Weir and Godchaux
Loose Lucy
Weir solo acoustic
Friend of the Devil
Lauderdale, Simon, McCombs Vocals Lauderdale and Simon
Mission in the Rain
Casal, Russo, Chimenti, Godchaux, Gordon, Wilson Vocals: Wilson
Ramble On Rose
Weir, Casal, Russo, Chimenti, Gordon, Wilson Vocals: Wilson
Catfish John
Weir, Gordon, Casal, Chimenti, Russo, Godchaux, Graboff, McDougall, Wilson
Shakedown Street
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Godchaux, McDougall, Kaufman, Cohen, Simon, Chris Tomson Vocals: Weir
Terrapin Station
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Godchaux, Kaufman, Cohen, Graboff, McCombs Vocals: McCombs
He’s Gone
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Godchaux, Kaufman, Cohen, Graboff
Eyes of the World
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Godchaux, Kaufman, Cohen, Graboff, Simon, McDougall, Lauderdale Vocals: Lauderdale
Scarlet Begonias
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Godchaux, Kaufman, Cohen, Graboff, Craig Finn, Tad Kubler Vocals: Finn
Don’t Let Go
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Godchaux, Graboff, Simon, Wilson, Finn Vocals: Godchaux
Days Between
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Casal, Kaufman, Wilson, Cohen Vocals: Weir
Franklin’s Tower
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Casal, Kaufman, Wilson, Cohen, McDougall, Simon, Godchaux, Kaufman, Graboff, Tomson, Lauderdale Vocals: Weir

Encore:
US Blues
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Casal, Kaufman, Wilson, Cohen, McDougall, Simon, Godchaux, Kaufman, Graboff, Finn, Lauderdale Vocals: Weir, Wilson, Finn
Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Casal, Kaufman, Wilson, Cohen, McDougall, Simon, Godchaux, Kaufman, Graboff, Finn, McCombs, Lauderdale Vocals: Weir, Simon, Lauderdale, Wilson
Ripple
Weir, Gordon, Chimenti, Russo, Casal, Kaufman, Wilson, Cohen, McDougall, Simon, Godchaux, Kaufman, Graboff, Tomson, McCombs, Lauderdale Vocals: Weir

Comments

Dean August 4, 2012, 17:11:17

We watched the entire show, it was great. Camera and sound were excellent. Very few lags all night for us. It felt we were right there, but in the comfort of our living room. Way to go Bob!

Joe Frontiero August 4, 2012, 12:20:21

Great show! Way too choppy tho. Please rebroadcast this.

jamesdinct@hotmail.com August 4, 2012, 12:27:26

Thats rad that Lauderdale was there. He is one of my favorite song writers. He has put out a couple really good records with songs he wrote with Robert Hunter. The one I love being ‘Headed For The Hills’, he really is a gifted word smith. I tried to watch the tribute last night and it was so choppy at first It was 100% unbearable. A little later in the evening it got better so that you could watch 30 seconds or so before it would chop but it was still to poor to keep on. I did not try again after that. I was pretty bummed it sucked so bad. I would like to see the documentary with the interviews and some of the playing. Anyone know the details of the re stream?

Cloudy Knight August 4, 2012, 12:46:06

jamesdinct, click on the words “Yahoo music” in the article and you’ll be taken to the link for the re-broadcast. It’s not up yet, but they promise it will be “soon”. I too found it to be unwatchable last night. They couldn’t get through a single line of any song before my computer would “buffer”. It was so annoying that I finally gave up. Too many people trying to watch? Too bad because the picture and sound quality for those 4-5 second bits was amazing.

piperworm August 4, 2012, 13:24:47

‘lucked out that the music never skipped, even though the video was laggy at times. an all around great event! it should be up later today on yahoo music, hopefully in its’ entirety.

Glenn August 4, 2012, 13:57:37

glad to see Phil showed up, was thinking maybe there was a new rift between him and Bobby.

ego_death August 4, 2012, 14:56:03

all people complaining about choppiness need to upgrade your Internet service. Not tri-studios fault, its your provider / service speed.

Grant Bierbaum August 4, 2012, 15:27:38

An awesome show! Neal Casal is the MAN!

B Tate August 4, 2012, 17:19:11

No problems from audio or video for me. Had some friends over and by the end of the night it was a dead show in my living room. Lol. Def a night to remember.

Dan Fullerton August 4, 2012, 20:47:58

I have heard nothing but good things about this show, but I missed it. I have Bellsouth (ATT) DSL service. The show would only broadcast about 10% of the time maximum. I have a friend in the Atlanta area who also has Bellsouth and he watched the entire show beginning to end without a single drop out. Bellsouth isn’t helpful at all when you call them. I’m thinking about changing to Comcast. Any advice?

Martin August 4, 2012, 21:55:44

Anyone who had problems, blame your provider or your own computer. Mine was PERFECT, without ANY problem.
Dial up don’t make it.
And do you have the latest Flash, as noted in the “requirements” at the site?
TRI did it GREAT!!

Martin August 4, 2012, 22:04:25

By no means a computer geek, but with the popularity of such an event, I believe there is a “first come, first served” type of thing.
Don’t think you can walk in halfway through the show. Log in early!

Shaun August 4, 2012, 23:37:04

I really enjoyed what I heard/saw, but like others here Ifinally gave up out of frustration. My connection kept skipping back and forth, usually jumping to different segments of The Wheel or of Lauderdale singing Mississippi Half-Step over and over again. Then it would jump ahead to Loser or Dupree’s and then back again. Never once did I get a single song all the way through, start to finish. I watched via Safari (Apple), on my iPad which I thought would be great. Oh well… Maybe I can watch it again on Yahoo Music later, hopefully straight through and without skips and jumps.

winestainedhands August 5, 2012, 12:31:51

Who was the long-haired dude that rocked the envelope filter and wah-wah pedal while playing Jerry’s parts and he also sang Mission in the Rain? Wilson?

jeff August 5, 2012, 12:53:57

I watched/listened to the show via Apple TV from iPhone on my big entertainment system. While quality was stellar, I suffered the same issue as Shaun mentioned above. Show would inexplicably jump back to earlier portion. i had to use fast forward to get back to live….I have a very fast cable modem so no issue there, a glitch in the TRI stream? Also did anyone hear the broadcast on Sirius? The sound was atrocious, like an old transistor radio…can’t imagine why since sound on home set was so good….but a truly awesome night through it all

Bub August 5, 2012, 15:24:41

Just search YouTube for
move me brightly bub jackson
There are uploads of nearly all the songs, plus the pre-show interviews.

Tyler August 6, 2012, 13:31:35

The evening was better than anticipated! I still have goosebumps thinking about it. Can’t wait to see a DVD released….

yrrrrrgrf October 14, 2012, 05:17:49