Published: 2012/08/06

Phil Lesh Welcomes Jonathan Wilson, Tomo, Chris Robinson’s Brotherhood and More

Phil Lesh played another free show a his San Rafael, CA Terrapin Crossroads bar space last night. The bassist’s band included Ross James (guitar), Ryan Adams & the Cardinals’ Jon Graboff (pedal steel) and Ollabelle’s Tony Leone (mandolin). The group ran through three songs, “Ramble on Rose,” New Riders of the Purple Sage’s “Glendale Train” and Bob Dylan’s “Going Going Gone,” and then, they brought out God Street Wine drummer Tom “Tomo” Osander for a take on “Alabama Getaway.” Tomo remained onstage for the rest of Lesh’s set, including Lovin’ Spoonful’s “My Darling Be Home Soon,” Charlie Monroe’s “Rosalie McFall,” “Beat It On Down The Line,” “Big Railroad Blues,” “Deal,” “Box of Rain” and “Bertha.” The drummer is in the Bay Area for God Street Wine performances Mill Valley, CA’s Sweetwater on Friday and Saturday as well as a broadcast at Bob Weir’s TRI Studios on Thursday.

Lesh also played a surprise show at Terrapin Crossroads’ bar space late Friday night. After making a cameo at Weir’s TRI tribute to Jerry Garcia and playing with Yonder Mountain String Band at Terrapin Crossroads, Lesh invited many of Weir’s TRI performers to Terrapin Crossroads for a late night jam session. First, Lesh, Graboff and Furthur keyboardist Jeff Chimenti offered a short improvisational segment, Then, Lesh regrouped with LA guitarist Jonathan Wilson, Norah Jones guitarist Jason Roberts, Ryan Adams & the Cardinals/Chris Robinson Brotherhood guitarist Neal Casal and Black Crowes/Chris Robinson Brotherhood keyboardist MacDougall for a second segment of music. Their setlist included Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” “The Cuckoo Bird” and “Birdsong.” Wilson actually has ties to both Robinson’s Brotherhood and Lesh: MacDougall met Robinson during one of his weekly jam session and Wilson produced a set of unreleased songs featuring Lesh and Robinson.

Comments

Dean August 6, 2012, 10:53:47

I’m glad his sons aren’t listed. Maybe Phil and Jill woke up to the fact, that their kids are not professional musician caliber as of this time.

michael from florida August 6, 2012, 12:08:13

Hey, Dean. Why are you so incredibly negative? I have strong doubts about you being of professional music fan caliber.

Cloudy Knight August 6, 2012, 12:15:28

Good one, Michael. I agree. There are many, many people making money playing music that are less gifted than the Lesh boys. Are Phil’s sons as good as the other musicians he generally plays with? Probably not, but so what. Those guys are older than Bob Weir was when he played at Monterey Pop, and they’re better on guitar than Bobby is right now.

soul stu August 6, 2012, 13:30:58

Phil’s kids are just not experienced enough at this point in their lives to perform at the level which Phil’s fanbase deserves to expect. I think they’d be much better off performing on their own, playing their own music, or at least their own interpretations, with their own group of musical peers. Let them earn their stripes on the road the way their old man did, before they step on stage to a crowd of thousands who paid top-dollar for a real-deal Phil Lesh performance.

jamesdinct@hotmail.com August 6, 2012, 15:28:14

Stu, I thought his sons had been joining him at just the Rambles? Maybe I am wrong but thats the only time I have seen them mentioned. If so, the rambles are free so no one is paying. Secondly they are at Phils venue playing in the bar area. I think his fans want to see him have fun playing music with the people he wants to play with, I would love to see him play with Steve Kimock and Prince on guitar every time but I don’t get what I want all the time. I would settle for seeing him play with some homeless, one armed, first time guitar players if thats who he wanted to play with and was treating me to a free show in his personal venue. Maybe his sons do have their own bands they play with. Oh yeh and I doubt the bar hold thousands, maybe dozens or a couple hundred. I do not hear any of Phils musical peers complaining about playing with his kids, I’m sure they are all happy to jam with the leah family in a home like environment . If y’all dont like it just don’t go. And if you haven’t been in the first place why talk about it. Its free shows we are talking about here.

jamesdinct August 6, 2012, 15:30:23

*Lesh family

R.Cooper August 14, 2012, 03:45:36

Listen negative folks- Phil and Jill can play with who they want and when they want. (Its their investment – not ours) You dont like it – dont go. I have a hard time wanting to pay big dollars to see the boyz play because they got to sit on stage in the 80’s while I was on the floor infront of Phil (LOL). Seriously, these boys are very talented AND can hold their own on stage. See them perform alone before you have any negatives. They are fantastic. More importantly- Phil gets to finally do what he wants! Good for him. After 50 years in the “performing” role – he deserves this space.