Published: 2012/09/26

Umphrey’s Mcgee To Broadcast Halloween Show Live On TV

Umphrey’s McGee will broadcast their 2012 Halloween show at The Fillmore in Silver Springs, MD live on AXS TV. The special event, billed as “Umphrey’s McGee Presents All Night Wrong”, will air Wednesday, October 31, beginning at 9pm ET. The show will feature a fan curated, covers heavy set list. The band will provide a list of over 40 cover songs ranging from Van Halen to Prince to the Beastie Boys, and umphreaks across the nation will be able to vote on the set list of their choice by going to the Umphrey’s McGee tab on AXZ TV Concerts Facebook page.

“Our live show is malleable – every night becomes its own thing, you never know where the rock show may go,” keyboardist Joel Cummins explains. “This show will be a unique event for us as we perform a rare set of fan selected covers to accompany a set of original compositions. The addition of live TV creates a palpable energy that will add excitement for both the fans and the band.”

AXS TV, the largest independently owned and operated network, was developed by entrepreneur Mark Cuban and General Manager Philip Garvin. The channel is available in the U.S. via AT&T U-verse, Charter, Comcast/Xfinity, DIRECTV, DISH Network, Insight, Suddenlink, Verizon FiOS, and other TV providers.

Comments

bubbaFAT September 26, 2012, 11:42:35

I can’t believe people still go to see this band.. let alone watch them on TV!

123ForYouAndMe September 26, 2012, 11:48:47

Couldn’t agree more! They’re just not that good… I got dragged to see them recently and I just didn’t get it. They have like a light show going on. Its laughable. Like putting lipstick on a pig.. only the lipstick isn’t very good either!! Don’t mean to be a hater – but I just don’t get it…

Greg Chapman September 26, 2012, 11:55:31

I beg to differ. They have a unique sound, and are very good live. I saw them at Warren Haynes Xmas jam a couple years back in Asheville, they were one of the big highlights of the night!

umphreak September 26, 2012, 12:00:06

They are a really bad band (with talented musicians mostly cough is there a percussionist in the mix cough) managed by a total self promoting dbag. The band has gotten smaller every year for the last 4…..Don’t hate the truth but tunes like the Linear and Miami Virtue simply arent comprable to the only good umphreys tunes on anchor drops and before. how many bad albums in a row before you just become a cover band that throws in divisions and nothing to fancy…...they are the next mr blotto….couple originals and covers. They will be back at the cubby bear in 4 years max post cubs games.

umphreak September 26, 2012, 12:01:48

they were far better a couple years ago. They have continued to write really bad original material, which waters down their show and makes them jam out the same tunes they have jammed out for 15 years. The problem is there literally have been no good new songs in six years? i’m not kidding toss in their last two eps

bj September 26, 2012, 12:12:47

the band has gotten smaller every year? pretty sure they almost sold out red rocks a few weeks ago. trolls will be trolls, go troll somewhere else cuz i am pumped about this.

Barbara A. Booey September 26, 2012, 12:28:36

These guys have outgrown the jam scene years ago. Their shows are top-notch and filled with shredding. Less noodling and composition annoys the wooks…jk! Their progression as musicians is as obvious as it is refreshing. Go Umphs!

TCinNYC September 26, 2012, 12:45:12

Good for Umph!! Its music people, nothing more. signed not an Umph fan

Crimey A River September 26, 2012, 13:06:39

If you don’t like this band then why read the article? Different strokes for different folks.

bubbaFAT September 26, 2012, 13:33:48

This isn’t an article…
It’s a press release put out by the band… And I read because usually this site reports on the music I love.. so I read everything they write. However, I just don’t get the love this band gets and why this site reports on them so much. I see better bands at small bars in NYC on a regular basis. They’re kind of annoying.. They’re kind of like the Dallas Cowboys of the Jamband Scene!

Drew September 26, 2012, 13:40:24

I think a lot people don’t like them because they’re not used to UM’s style of jamming. People that like Phish’s jamming like to see the the process of a song “going there.” UM is definitely more ADD, but they still jam. They just “cut to the chase” and go straight there instead of noodling. I like “conductor” style jamming (hand signals, etc.). And whoever said smaller…lol… They sold out all but 10 of their 100+ shows this year and had 8,000 peeps at Red Rocks.

PurpleNurple September 26, 2012, 13:56:19

It’s not their jamming style that really gets me. It’s their songs and their sound.
I actually love a lot of the songs they choose to cover – and then I listen and hate what they do with the tune. And to be honest – I agree with 123ForYouAndMe…
It may seem like a little thing – but I think their lights is strange for the kind of band they are. I can only really compare to phish when it comes to that level of lighting within this scene.. And I know Kuroda is one of the best – so it’s not really fair to compare.. But for me, Umphrey’s lights are more distracting than adding. When I go to a phish show at a shed – I can’t wait for it to get dark so the show can really start with Kuroda. He ADDS so much to the live experience. When I’ve gone to Umphrey shows… I always find myself thinking it’s like lighting masterbation without regard to the music. “Look what I can do” kind of vibe…

NoSoupForYou September 26, 2012, 14:00:13

I would DEFINITELY agree with that from what I’ve seen of Umphrey’s. I work in live theatre – so I’m particularly sensitive to those theatrical aspects. And yes, Kuroda is one of the best – so it’s hard to compare. But the UM show I saw recently just wasn’t happening from a lighting standpoint.

Pequod September 26, 2012, 18:21:47

If you don’t like the band, don’t go see them. People who just complain or refuse to get down in the crowds really suck to be around anyway. Umphrey’s is a product of Frank Zappa-style jamming and improv. Phish, SCI, and WSP descend from the Grateful Dead side of the spectrum. Apples and oranges, people.

Drew September 26, 2012, 20:32:37

It’s funny you don’t like the lights, either, because that’s another thing a lot of people like about Umphreys.

Heh September 26, 2012, 20:53:35

Um is a style of Zappa style jamming? Have you ever listened to Zappa? Phish’s music has more Zappa influence than the dead. Troll…

Ross September 26, 2012, 21:56:29

Yeah, almost selling out Red Rocks last week proves that this band is on the outs… get out of here you trolls!

\mm/ September 27, 2012, 12:21:03

UMPH FTW!! Thanks for making this happen cant wait to watch.

\mm/ September 27, 2012, 12:21:39

RAGE.
REST.
REPEAT.

Pequod September 27, 2012, 12:27:01

Yet another all-knowing phish fan. I won’t even try to explain myself because I know it’s pointless.

ocean chris September 28, 2012, 20:39:14

yea phish sounds just like zappa ?

Danny October 13, 2012, 05:18:14

ya’ll think you are umphrey fans? who picked Plunger as their best song on GoRankem? http://gorankem.com/artists/113995-Umphrey-s-McGee

john October 20, 2012, 19:24:57

The music is a little advanced for the average listener. I’m a big fan. They are unique.

Kenny October 20, 2012, 19:25:43