Published: 2012/09/29

Epic Frank Zappa Concert Film and Live Recordings To Be Released

Frank Zappa assembled a stellar line up for an epic three night run at The Roxy in Hollywood, California on December 8-10, 1973. The band included George Duke on keyboard, Don Preston on synths, Ruth Underwood on percussion and Chester Thompson on drums. The shows were all captured on film by multiple cameras, and there were multi-track recordings of all of the audio as well. However the footage and recordings have never been made available to the public, despite the fact that a trailer for a DVD called The Roxy Performances was released in 2003. Now, after almost 40 years, Zappa fans will finally be get to see this legendary concert film. On top of this, it looks like will also be treated to a few extra recordings they weren’t expecting.

Frank Zappa’s widow, Gail Zappa, recently sent out an email announcing that “December 2013 is the 40th Anniversary of the Roxy Performances. Now that we have thoroughly identified all it’s parts and participles, we will deliver The Movie without further incident and maybe only a little ado. In theatres, DVD and Blue-ray, sometime before December, 2013.”

But it doesn’t stop there. In the same email, Gail Zappa also announced the release of a prequel to The Roxy Performances, as well as a series of “Road Tapes” in the near future. “In anticipation of The ACTUAL Movie, we are pleased to inform you that we are scheduling the release of the PREQUEL to the actual Soundtrack. Yes. You will! Appreciate the raw unbridledness of the 75 minutes and 49 seconds of Roxy without the Elsewhere….Oh, and did I mention a new series is about to launch ‘Road Tapes ‘ on Vaulternative Records! We’ve taken direct aim at Halloween!”

Details on the “Road Tapes” are scarce, but we do know that Zappa fans everywhere are eagerly anticipating the release of these live recordings that have been almost four decades in the making.

Comments

Jammin Jon September 29, 2012, 15:21:06

As a very huge Zappa fan since 1976 I am quite thrilled about this. It sounds like it will be well worth the long wait!

eotw September 30, 2012, 12:10:20

If this happens, it will be the first truly great thing that ZFT has done with regard to FZ’s posthumous live output.

earthsurround September 30, 2012, 16:52:09

eotw, I agree.
what a FZT boondoggle. Like a deer frozen in the headlights of greed. share some of this stuff…please, Gail.

Brian O'Connell October 1, 2012, 10:52:58

This is going to be TRULY EPIC!!!! And you know, it’s bad taste to take pot shots at Gail. No true Zappa fan would do that.

eotw October 1, 2012, 13:22:40

@ Brian: Man, ZFT is hardly the first estate to treat the recorded works of the deceased in awful fashion, Look at the squabbles and erratic out put from Garcia’s estate. Want bigger? Just look at Jimi’s estate and how it is a constant re-release and nothing but hold ups where his live output has been ZFT is hardly alone, just maybe the worst case.

dk70 October 1, 2012, 14:51:23

This is great news. I remember seeing this trailer on my copy of “Baby Snakes” I bought almost 10 years ago. Can’t wait. Please leave Gail alone, you don’t know her from a hole in the wall. Here is a woman who lost her genius of a husband way too soon and now is left to sort out his legacy in the shit swamp that is the music business. Thanks for putting out this super sick footage.

Bab's Uvula October 2, 2012, 12:25:27

Great news! I have been looking forward to this for a looooooong time! The “Roxy Band” was probably the best band FZ ever stepped on to the stage with. As far as Gail and her management of the ZFT, in my opinion it’s been hit or miss. She’s been slow to capitalize on changing technologies, (which Frank would have chewed her out for no doubt), and has come across as a little heavy-handed sometimes when it came to “other people” performing Frank’s music. All in all though, a great day for FZ fans everywhere!

Brian (using his real name) OC October 2, 2012, 12:30:32

Ditto on what dk70 about Gail. Zappa has like 10,000 albums, movies, and bootlegs to enjoy.. What is the logic in giving his widow a hard time on a public forum under a pseudonym about stuff you know nothing about? That just doesn’t seem like a real Zappa fan.

Bryan October 11, 2012, 14:51:50

As A relatively new fan of Zappa being that I’m young. I am very excited for these releases. When I first discovered Zappa I couldn’t believe no one told me about this amazing material that was released. These are some of my favorite material that I’ve never heard. =)

Thingfish October 4, 2012, 19:07:16

Gail has a big fucking problem. You donate all kinds of money to political campaigns, spend countless amounts on meaningless lawsuits, then you ask the fans (the ones who you don’t want seeing some pesky tribute band) to put the money up for things such as OZ and MOFO? Gail was a groupie, when you marry a groupie this is what you get. A potato-headed moron with no foresight into how to run a fucking vault or a business. As Pauline Butcher put it in her book Gail has three speeds slow, slower and stop.

Thingfish October 4, 2012, 19:09:16

@Brian, some of us Zappa fans have watched her pull shit for years. Saying we “know nothing about it” is ignorant. You mention bootlegs, you do know that Gail does not even want us to be able to trade bootlegs, right? You are the one who is clueless. Cunt.

Thingfish October 4, 2012, 19:11:00

Gail gwine be fucking dat fountain pen! WOOOOOOOOOWEE! The shit gwine hit the fan ina minute! All dem earthquakes caused by her giant waddlin ass done be stirring up that vault!!! WE GOT THE TALKIN ASS! WE THE GAIL NUNS!

dk70isimpotent October 4, 2012, 19:16:06

Dk70, read up a bit on how Gail has screwed over Zappa employees and musicians. Neither her nor frank were saints. She was a fucking groupie whore. Sheeeeeee’s my groupie bang-bang!

DDC October 4, 2012, 20:33:32

All you people defending gail. Before you judge us gail haters try walking in our sandals, we’ll fuck you in the ass with a plunger handle.

dk70 October 8, 2012, 14:34:13

I really don’t give a crap who likes Gail Zappa or not, and I don’t know her from a hole in the wall, either. Whomever (anonymously, of course) posted a diss on me can go smell that plunger handle.

John Smothers October 10, 2012, 21:40:43

Dk70, just give it up. You the faggot…I’ll take care of the faggnit.

John Smothers October 10, 2012, 21:43:55

@Dk70, you musta been snortin’ detergent. Make way for the iron sausage. HEre comes the big one dk. You anonymous jew licker

Bryan October 11, 2012, 14:54:29

The Falcum, Take me to the Falcum

cfibb October 15, 2012, 13:20:39

I have it on very good word from someone who used to work at 818-PUMPKIN that Dweezil once confided to him,  regarding the glacial pace (and often times non and even seemingly OPPOSITE pace) with which things get accomplished with FZ’s catalog, that his mother, Gail Zappa, was actually out of her mind. Batty and unbelievably stubborn. I can’t even stand to listen to her speak. One wants to hear more new Zappa performances – not listen to her drone on in that convoluted labyrinthian gobbledygook. I didn’t know Frank myself but he’s gotta be spinning in the grave with all of her wasted motion (fumbling product year after year, legal BS regarding others performing Zappa pieces, political donations, etc).   Roxy? COOL. It’s about friggin’ time. I can only imagine how many hard core older fans have actually passed away (yes, as in died) not having seen the Roxy footage cuz Gail sat on it like a fat, confused hen…instead of treating the fans right.  Condolences that she misses FZ. Jeez, who doesn’t? Now steps aside!

Rich Oregonian October 21, 2012, 17:08:42

Thingfish > Talk about potato-headed.. Bobby Brown be a fukkin’ Einstein compared to you.. Gail has been under no obligation whatsoever to run the “vault” for any of us. In fact, Frank wanted his family OUT of the business, so Gail and co. wouldn’t have to deal with trash like you.. Thanks to her persistence we do have artifacts like MOFO and OZ – both of which receive steady airplay in “me casa”. You might think about growing a pair, and leaving the basement of ‘Yo Mama’s casa.

Uncle Meat November 1, 2012, 22:17:22