Published: 2012/10/01

Ween Founders Comment on Their Band’s Future

Ween principals Aaron “Gene Ween” Freeman and Mickey “Dean Ween” Melchiondo have both commented on their strained partnership via their online forum. The band’s future has been in flux since Freeman announced the band’s break-up during an interview with Rolling Stone promoting his first solo album. According to reports, Melchiondo had no idea the band was breaking up prior to reading the article. Freeman subsequently remarked that he wanted to tour with Ween “for the fans” later this year while Melchiondo has started an online journal of his own to answer fans’ questions.

Melchiondo has spent the past few months focusing on his second career as a fishing instructor and playing sporadic gigs with Chris Harford & Band of Changes. He is also reportedly working on a solo album as well as an album with his side-project Moistboyz.

Here are two excerpts from the musicians’ online dialog

Melchiondo

All I want is to go about my life and not be judged in public by Aaron or his wife, who honestly I really don’t know at all. We’ve spoken for a combined total of about 40 minutes in the 8 or 9 years they’ve been together. Why she reads my website confounds me. Aaron made a decision to retire Gene Ween and that was his decision and this is a free country. I support his sobriety and his health and hope that he makes the greatest solo album of all-time someday, and that’s not just words, that is the honest to god truth. It would actually bring vindication to his decision to leave the band that we worked so hard to perfect. I’m not a spiteful person and what Aaron and I created together was something so special that everyone that was even close to it for even one evening was affected forever. Nothing can ever change that. Leah was not around during the years that Aaron and I were hanging out together socially every day and night and growing up together, we were brothers in the truest sense of the word and I’m assuming she thinks that we were always dysfunctional and things were always tense and unhappy. We did a lot of partying together but to insinuate that all our time spent together involved drugs and booze is ridiculous, our output speaks for itself. You don’t write that many songs and enjoy the level of success and quality music we made by being total fuck ups. My only connection to WEEN as of 9/28/2012 is our history, and the word “deaner” in askdeaner.com If it takes for me to change the url to askmiggy.com then I will do that. Leave well enough alone. Every journalist that I’ve spoken to has asked me about Aaron’s personal affairs for years and not once have I thrown him under the bus or even been tempted to do so, that is classless. That is ALL that I ask. Based on the past, you will find a way to spin the most innocuous statements that I make into something with poor intentions or cruel, thoughtless, whatever other words you use. I’m sure this time will be no different. Having to type this here is flat out embarrassing for me and I resent that fact that you’ve made me do it. I’m not gonna just sit here and be kicked anymore though. And that’s it.

Freeman:

All that matters to me is that I’m getting sober. Becoming an out of control drug addict and alcoholic is my own fault and I take responsibility for it. I HAD to leave the Ween organization to stay sober. You may not understand that, and expounding is pointless, but its the reality. How I left was impulsive. If I could do it over, I would have done it differently. My family and I are healing. The only thing I took offense too was Mickeys public remark about his excessive alcohol consumption, in my eyes it was disrespectful. Also, my wife does not read Mickeys blog. Ive read it to her. She had the rare treat of coming into a relationship where her husband was being rushed around by paramedics, falling down steps, cracking his skull, OD’ing etc. She’s been the one who’s held my hand through horrendous withdrawls, while still managing to keep our family together. Mickey and I have been business partners for years, but not social at all since the “early Ween years”. Our relationship and communication with each other, was what it was, long before I met my wife. But in the end, none of this matters. I have absolutely no doubt anything Mickey puts his hands on will rock. I wish the best for us both. I have nothing but good feelings about what Mickey and I did with Ween. Now enough of this shite, back to the music!

Comments

rusty October 1, 2012, 17:38:11

this makes me sad. Really wishing I had gone to last years Halloween shows in Denver. I was a little late to the Ween party and sure didn’t get my fill. Glad for the shows I did see though if this really is the END.

joe October 1, 2012, 19:43:49

mick is the stalion.
aarons responces reads like someone who is rehad, which if had drug/booze problems, i think he is doing the right thing. alot of your fans have drug/booze problems, and it might help them seek help since you, a “rockstar” did.
WEEN was the best band on the planet. i missed their last few tours and it sucks, but i was getting older, and never EVER thought they would break up without notice. goes to show.
they rocked, thought less constistanly, right up to the end.
check their last nashville show. that one blisters your ears its so hot, and on sugarmegs.org THNAK YOU ARON AND MICK FOR ROCKIN SOCKS OFF

mike e October 1, 2012, 22:10:26

sounds like yoko part 2. aaron impulsively breaking up with ween seems like typical dry drunk behavior. i hope he gets therapy to find the core of his pathology because ween aint the problem, its the solution. anyway it was a good run! thanks much, buenas tardes amigos

dankerator October 2, 2012, 13:59:59

Doesn’t tension make for a great band!!!!!???? I’m sure they will get back together, perhaps for a good cause? And i think when Aaron get’s his sobriety together it mite work maybe?!

Mr.Cruzan October 2, 2012, 16:28:50

I have spent the last 20 years with a Ween show being the one thing I most looked forward to every year (or, so). Enjoyed every single one. I have seen some highs and lows, but again I have enjoyed the show and the atmosphere. Ween fans are #1 and both these boys know it. I got my wife the signed ‘Marvelous Clouds’ poster package for her birthday. Landed on my doorstep the very day the interview went public. I cried.
Thanks to both Aaron and Mickey for an awesome sound and a great 20 yrs. Get sober, get happy and don’t forget the people who love you both, here in Indiana.

kerr October 2, 2012, 20:10:29

wow! this hurts. 1993 i started my Ween/pure guava addiction in a time of darkness and frailty. i bought the cassette and popped it in the ol walkman and the little birdy sang for me and everything was so happy. “See the birdy make me laugh take a little birdy bath.” i smiled ear to ear and knew i had to spread the word i told everyone and special ordered all the music i missed. i truly will miss you guys for you gave me more than any band my fat fingers could grease their cds. peace to you both. hope you find your Puerto Rican power in all you do. E

adriana October 2, 2012, 20:32:38

yes what a sad turn of events…i hope you boys find a common ground for the love of music..

Eli Martin October 8, 2012, 00:35:19

I am so happy to hear that Aaron is getting sober. I felt guilty for hearing the best concert of my life while Aaron had to be smashed to get through his amazing performance. I pray they find the power to reunite the band, but regardless they will be the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

timmy October 11, 2012, 11:22:08

Smack is a killer. Aaron should be thankful he is still alive. Mickey is obviously bitter about the way it went down, but can you really blame Aaron? Staying sober for your family is more important than being in a band. Very little doubt they will be back someday.

Mike October 18, 2012, 19:32:49

The kings are dead,long live the ween .

David and the Noas March 19, 2013, 17:43:21

Dear Ween fans, join the parade! http://snd.sc/ZPf00v

David and the Noas March 19, 2013, 17:48:29

Dear Ween fans, join the parade! http://snd.sc/ZPf00v

Scott April 1, 2013, 10:53:12

As a young 20-someting, I grew into Ween during my college years. Music that truly changed my life. I’m sitting at my desk job almost in tears after reading this. Hopefully Aaron can pull himself together for the long-term and time will heal these wounds that have been brushed over for years on both Aaron’s and Mick’s sides. I’m so pissed at myself for not tuning into these guys in time to see them play a show in my area, but I’d give life and limb to catch a reunion. Anywhere. Here’s to hoping time heals all. Fucking love you guys.

anniem September 2, 2013, 18:25:28

I read the story and found it deeply, deeply saddening, then read the comments and cried.. luv u

ryan October 1, 2013, 01:46:45

First time i ever heard ween was “‘don’t laugh” being played at the end of a Gwar show. Once i realized who created such brilliance my ears were theirs forever. Long live Deaner and Gener!

http://www.g-classcentre.co.uk/contack.html November 27, 2013, 23:18:45

Capra? Until finally Monday, the Rams (176) experienced do not ever even gained a league playoff activity. Rolling along by means of 5 innings, they had their momentum halted while in a 49minute rain hold off after the fifth inning.
http://www.g-classcentre.co.uk/contack.html http://www.g-classcentre.co.uk/contack.html

http://www.billgrierblinds.co.uk/images/project.asp?p=28 November 28, 2013, 02:53:35

Giles stated people might possibly be viewed as common internet business expenses that could fall outside the house her get attaching Tutunjian property.
http://www.billgrierblinds.co.uk/images/project.asp?p=28 http://www.billgrierblinds.co.uk/images/project.asp?p=28