Published: 2012/10/06

Dick’s Picks To Be Re-Released On Vinyl

The entire Dicks Picks Series is set to be released on 180 gram vinyl. The first two releases, Dick’s Picks Volumes 1 and 2, will be available on November 20 as limited edition, hand-numbered releases. Dick’s Picks Vol. 1 will be a four LP recording of the December 19, 1973 Grateful Dead show at Curtis Hixon Hall in Tampa, FL. Dick’s Picks Vol. 2 will be a two LP recording of the October 31, 1971 show at the Ohio Theatre in Columbus, OH. These releases can be pre-ordered here. The rest of the series will be re-released on vinyl.

Comments

Doug October 6, 2012, 10:18:05

I’ve heard of oppportune,selfish,money grubbing,but WHY can’t we simply just put out MORE shows on ANY format that haven’t been previously offered.I.E.“Dozin At The Knick”....which is one of the “new” shows in the Spring 1990 box set.C’mon ya’ll & get it together.If DICK were alive,HE’D be doing it RIGHT!!

Why October 6, 2012, 11:39:54

Wow this is a complete cash grab. I really hope we get a better release than the 90 spring box for the next one. I bought it,it sounds great but other than Copps they didn’t even pick the best show of each run, come on guys

this one October 6, 2012, 11:43:06

I think that this is a great idea. At list it should provide a more authentic sound to the shows. Authentic, meaning that they’ll sound closer to how they would if the had been pressed and sold way back when. Now will I rush out and buy the series? No, I do already own most of them, but the gems may certainly be worth it…

js October 6, 2012, 13:24:59

Excellent idea, especially for us that like vinyl…if you don’t, don’t complain….you got plenty of Dead on mp3s, stream, etc…selfish is a great descriptive for YOU, not vinyl fans

Mike Mahoney October 6, 2012, 16:14:43

Maybe release the full show first not a edited version like many of the early Dick’s Picks were. I prefer full shows even though there might be reel cuts

Dr. Mantis Toboggan October 7, 2012, 08:06:40

“Here Comes Sunshine” from Dick’s Picks Vol 1 on a turntable can you imagine how good that will sound? sick

Blooby October 7, 2012, 10:01:31

Did you follow th link? Dick’s Picks I is $80.00. Still think this isn’t about cash?

Olddocp October 8, 2012, 09:01:28

So if it’s all about money, don’t buy it.
I for one am all in on vinyl!

Bryan October 8, 2012, 17:16:16

Blooby – seriously $80 for a 4 record set is not too over the top. Check out the price tag on the Neil Young album that’s about to come out – $75 for 3 records. Unfortunately vinyl is not a cheap market, if you don’t want to pay that much then just stick with the original CD’s and quit your complaining.

Blooby October 10, 2012, 17:58:26

Fair enough. If there’s a market, so be it. $80 for a four record set does strike me as expensive (very, actually), but I have been out of the vinyl loop for a while now. I will stand corrected and quit my bellyaching.

cosmicbein October 13, 2012, 01:22:48

80$ for a Grateful Dead album,payin that price is for for the rich and famous.I’m not forming any opinions on this one,different strokes for different folks applies here.Enjoy the vinyl if u got it.

Wooker T. October 14, 2012, 14:40:45

I love this. Someone shud get some copies to Q bert

Bobbye October 14, 2012, 19:58:09

I’m a vinyl junkie, have 1,000’s of records but $80 for a set I already have on CD is a bit much. I will probably wait for other releases that I can’t live without to purchase. Not that I’m complaining, welcome the releases, but a bit steep though I might bite occasionally.

DJ5000 October 15, 2012, 10:19:25

Can I trade in my CD copy that I paid $25 for nearly twenty years ago?

Jim October 15, 2012, 14:59:36

I’d love to have some of these on LP. But that’s way too much. How can us poor hippies afford to buy the hippie music? Where is the “workingman’s deadhead” pricing??? I think I paid 30 bucks for the Tedesch Trucks live 3 lp set. Unless there’s tons of cool stuff in the album that’s way too much.

hhjack October 17, 2012, 15:34:00

Vinyl is an expensive hobby. I’ll probably pass on these until Volume 4 and 8 come around.

christoph October 19, 2012, 18:20:15

$20/180 gram vinyl is the going price. 4×20=80

killwhyT November 16, 2012, 12:35:05

If you don’t want it don’t buy it. Go get your diapers changed and count your shekels. If it’s on quality vinyl I want it!!!Don’t forget that winterland show for record store day.

Ron December 11, 2012, 23:23:39

There is no way they need to charge this much for the releases. I can see $20-$30 being reasonable but $80 is beyond pushing it. How much are the 4 disc sets going to be? As much as I would love to have my favorite DP on vinyl (32) I don’t think I can bring myself to pay that much.