Published: 2012/10/08

Gregg Allman: "I’ve Been Writing My Butt Off Lately"

Gregg Allman is currently working on a slew of new material, according to an interview in Charleston, S.C.‘s Post & Courier. After successfully recovering from his recent liver transplant, Allman has his sites set on a new solo album as well as The Allman Brothers Band’s first studio album since 2003.

“I’ve been writing my butt off lately,” Allman tells the paper. “I’ve always wanted to do a record where it says at the bottom, ‘All songs written by [Gregg Allman]. Throughout my career, I haven’t really been considered by the public to be a singer/songwriter, even though I wrote probably 80 percent of the Allman Brothers stuff. I haven’t fulfilled my whole writer thing yet, so hopefully that’s going to happen But if not, the next order of business will probably be the Allman Brothers, because God knows they’re past due for an in-studio record.”

Allman’s 2011 release Low Country Blues only featured one new original song, “Just Another Rider,” through he recorded another new number for the project which did not make the album’s final cut. The Allman Brothers Band are off the road for the rest of the year but will return in 2013. The band expects to have a big 45th anniversary celebration in 2014.

Allman will perform in North Charleston, SC on October 9.

Comments

Mitt Romney October 8, 2012, 12:01:37

“even though I wrote probably 80 percent of the Allman Brothers stuff.” - See everyone lies and makes up stuff, not just me. Heck, I lie all the time, but even I couldn’t lie that bad and keep a straight face. I think Greg has written 80% of the ABB stuff that wasn’t written by Dickey, Duane or Warren but that might not even be the case. Greg is just losing all credibility in his old age.

Gregg fan October 8, 2012, 12:13:01

Gregg can write a hell of a song when he wants to. He has just been in a songwriting slump for a long time now. Would love to hear some new music from him. Keep your fingers crossed maybe Beacon 2013 the Brothers will introduce some new tunes. Mitt you are right Dickey Betts was the main songwriter for the Bros.

Mitt - Get a Clue October 8, 2012, 12:16:51

Maybe Mr. Romney should (below) should stick to his lies and debate rhetoric. And if you’re not believing Mr. Allman, perhaps you could just put on your favorite original band, Zac Brown, and enjoy all original music. IN the meantime, we’ll enjoy having Gregg Allman on this planet, playing awesome music with his band. Maybe he just isn’t that good with math there mister. it’s not like he’s running for president

Alex October 8, 2012, 12:41:44

80% of the Allmans catalogue? Not quite. I understand the acrimony between Dickey and the Allmans camp but come on. Betts has been completely written out of the Allmans historical record. The guy is only responsible for the lionshare of songs that get radio play.

PM October 8, 2012, 12:47:23

Gregg may embelish a little bit but at least he can remember the songs he wrote and thats more than you can say about Dickey Betts.

Peachhead October 8, 2012, 13:15:54

I love me Gregg Allman, but 80% is laughable and way more than an embllishment. If you look at the allmans discography here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Allman_Brothers_Band_discography, you can see how not only did Dickey Betts write a ton, but there are a bunch cowritten with the rest of the band members, or written by Warren Haynes, random blues guys, etc. Gregg’s main songwriting really occurred during the first 3 studio albums of the band and tapered off after that. And sure, Dickey definitely has trouble remembering his songs but so does Gregg- guy makes way more mistakes than anyone else on stage during the last Beacon run.

Barack Obama October 8, 2012, 13:37:10

Maybe he’s using my arithmetic method? You know, it’s pretty happening these days. You take a number, you really don’t like this number, so you remove certain parts of the equation to get the desired number. It doesn’t matter if these are of vital importance to the answer, the main thing is that you make yourself look good. I can take an unemployment rate of 15% and miracously make it 7.8%. Pretty cool stuff, huh? Oh and Mitt, take it easy on me in the next debate. You made me look like someone who doesn’t have a clue. I’m POTUS, I at least have to keep up this illusion of knowing what I’m doing until Nov. 4th and then, well, like I told Medvedev, I’ll have more flexibility to look like an incompetent fool.

Barack Obama October 8, 2012, 13:38:14

Oh and I don’t care how many songs he wrote, that white boy sure can sing the blues!

Ralph Nader October 8, 2012, 14:01:55

Here’s some math: Probability of a new Allman Brothers or Gregg solo record: ZERO.

Shaun October 8, 2012, 14:45:14

OK… Regarding the “80%” thing. If he’s talking about the early ABB stuff, meaning the first three studio albums (I’m including the studio sides of Eat a Peach here) he’s probably right. He was the primary songwriter in the early years:
“Whipping Post,” “Dreams,” “Melissa,” “Midnight Rider,” “Ain’t Wastin’ Time,” and more. On the first two ABB albums, apart from “Liz Reed,” I’m pretty sure that every song that wasn’t a cover was Gregg’s. Starting with Brothers and Sisters, it was pretty even between Gregg and Dickey, I believe, and then as Gregg battled his demons and before Dickey went off the deep end himself, Dickey started writing a lot more than Gregg. On the (so far) last ABB album (the wonderful, highly underrated “Hittin’ the Note”) Gregg was writing more again, with Warren I believe, so while 80% probably isn’t accurate he can certainly make a claim to having written a shit-ton of great songs in his life. Both with ABB and without. I think Gregg was just speaking off the cuff, but who cares? The fact remains, he’s writing again and it sounds like we’ll (finally) get another ABB album. His last couple of solo albums were great too, so this is a reason to rejoice! I hope Gregg’s health is holding up and we’ll get more ABB music/tours to come!

Shaun October 8, 2012, 14:49:38

Also… The idea that Romney made Obama look like a fool in their debate? That’s just being foolish yourself. Obama was undeprepared, yes, but it’s easy to blindsided when someone lies as much as Romney did in that debate. If you think Romney is somehow going to do a better job with the Bush-made economic mess that Obama inherited, well that’s just foolish too. Destroying the middle class while giving the wealthy the biggest tax breaks is the Romney plan, and that’s part of what got us where we are.

js October 8, 2012, 15:28:54

if we are heading political: A vote for Mitt and you lise NPR, PBS, Sesame Street….what a sad rich yankee

matters October 8, 2012, 16:08:52

I don’t want to lose National Pink Radio.

Cloudy Knight October 8, 2012, 16:16:03

Oh, goody. Politics on a music website. My favorite. Just what I come here for.

me October 8, 2012, 16:27:35

Hey Mitt and Barack… did either of you ever think that Greg mispoke… perhaps he meant 53% he had written, but didn’t give a shit about the other 47%?

Mr.Eastwood October 8, 2012, 19:46:10

Ol’ Gregory might have a future in politics: He said “probably” before 80% so it really doesn’t need to be accurate…didn’t he used to run with Jimmy Carter? Anyway, I hope for more music from Allman et al. Why not?

Carlo October 9, 2012, 04:13:32

Why allways those discussions about Dickie and Gregg. I think the true fan of the brothers doesn’t care about who write the songs. We love them both and hope that there will be more music to come in the future. So, let’s be glad that Gregg writes so much these days.
Can’t wait to here some new stuff. A fan from Europe

Can't touch this October 9, 2012, 06:17:08

Dickey is due for some new music too. It has been 11 years since his last album,I truly believe he has some more in the tank. He recently played guitar on Tesla guitar player (also dickeys son in law) Frank hannon solo cd on a song and it sounded really good.

Good memory October 9, 2012, 11:45:58

Allman’s memory might not be so good anymore, but mine still is…...
Gregg Allman is a RAT

blackey October 10, 2012, 21:33:08

Gregg Allman wrote all the originals on the first album in 1969. On the second album, Gregg wrote four & Dickey two. On Eat A Peach, Gregg wrote three (one was with Berry Oakley) and Dickey wrote two. Duane wrote ONE on Eat A Peach. The only song he wrote! Little Martha. On Brothers and Sisters, Gregg wrote two and Dickey four. After Brothers and Sisters, Dickey wrote (or co-wrote) a lot more songs that Gregg. There is one on Seven Turns, Good Clean Fun, that is billed to Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts and Johnny Neal. Gregg said that toward the end of Dickey running the ABB, he did come to a rehearsal with a few songs and after they worked up Dickey’s new song or two, Dickey refused to do Gregg’s and left. Who knows if that is true.

Chris October 12, 2012, 00:58:49

If any of you haven’t really dug into the ABB’s most recent album “Hittin The Note”, you definitely need to get into it. It was extremely underappreciated. It’s absolute genius front to back. Gregg says in his book that he thinks its some of the best material the Allmans ever did. I’ve been saying that since it came out but it never got the recognition is deserved in my opinion. Based on that, you have to be excited about the possibility of another ABB album.

just another rider October 20, 2012, 06:02:07