Published: 2012/10/15

J Mascis’ Guitar Stolen, Dinosaur Jr. to Play Classic Alum In its Entirety

J Mascis’ guitar was stolen on Thursday night. The guitarist was performing at Eugene, OR’s WOW Hall when the theft took place. According to a post on Mascis’ Facebook page, “J’s signature Squier Jazzmaster was stolen from the WOW Hall last night, October 11, during the Dinosaur Jr. show. The guitar looks like the attached image. Some characteristics that make this guitar unique: there is a dent in the neck, the pickups have no screws as they usually do and the action is currently set high. The guitar was in a soft gig bag. Please contact band@dinosaurjr.com or call 303-998-0001 if you have any information about this guitar.” Dinosaur Jr. is slated to perform at Denver, CO’s Bluebird Theater this evening.

The group is touring for the 25th anniversary of the seminal album You’re Living All Over Me. In celebration of the album’s 25th anniversary, Dinosaur Jr. will perform the album in its entirety at Terminal 5 in New York City on December 1. The band will be joined by some guests during the show with special guests Kurt Vile and the Violators supporting.

Comments

charles nelson October 15, 2012, 16:46:51

Who would steal a Squier anything? Lets take up a collection to get him the $199 for a new one. I think it comes with a solid state “Fender Champ” and a free gig bag.

Raoul October 15, 2012, 17:19:29

^^^ Some quality dumb above. You should check out J’s line of signature Squires, Charles.

Ultimatelywhogivesafuck October 15, 2012, 19:42:26

Better question… Who the fuck likes Dino Whore jr. with his fuckin goofy hair do..just cuz you do somethin for 25 yrs dont make it good..they suck

jamesbondo October 15, 2012, 19:51:01

Dinosaur fuckin rules. J is an amazing songwriter and guitarist.

Andy from Sweden (originally NJ, now back in CT) October 17, 2012, 15:24:55

Bad joke you Dino Jr complainers! Dino Jr rocks. J is fantastic. It may not be Jerry or Warren or whoever (I like Jorma best), but he rules! if you judge guitarists by having a unique “voice”, then give him/them a listen. If you listen to 2 or 3 notes, you’ll be sure it’s him. And he is not derivative. He is a great writer. He is real. Besides that, what’s wrong with cheap instruments? It’s how you play them kids… I live in an affluent community where all my kids’ friends have exotic instruments and bad attitudes. I tell my 17 year old son to play real, and appreciate the sound and feel… He’s got some Squiers and some Epiphones although I can afford more. Be humble, be honest, stay true to yourself. If you insult J, you are insulting yourself. PS—I own some pretty decent solid state stereo equipment. It ain’t tubes so what do I know? Please take up a collection and buy me all the “McCormack” audio stuff you can, please! (Google: McCormack or Steve McCormack… Check Ebay. Send me the gig bag please. I will appreciate it…). I’ll take any Squier donations out there…

Nale Dixon November 11, 2012, 00:13:42

This one time, I played a solo gig opening for another band at the House Of Blues in San Diego, CA. I loaded my rig inside, and then returned to my rental car to smoke some weed. I got all stoned, looked around the unfamiliar car, and suddenly thought “Oh no, where’s my guitar? I got robbed!” 10 minutes later, I was ready to cancel my set when I finally remembered my stuff was already inside. Nevertheless, the stress was so palpable that night, I learned that actually being ripped off must be a brutal shock. At least dude’s Squier is all that got stolen. All their stuff sucks – I know, I’ve played them. Every brand has a lesser product line: Gibson (Epiphone), Fender (Squier), ESP (LTD), etc. Yes, it matters how you play them, but the truth is that the budget guitars can’t handle me. They break when I play them. So I stay away from them. Some guy tried to tell me that “people pay too much attention to what the brand name on the headstock is.” Yeah, maybe, but the reverse is also true – just look at all the dudes who fawn over the Sears/Silvertone guitars. They are pieces of junk, I don’t care if Jimmy Page played one – they suck. Same with Danelectro’s. Anyway, in conclusion I must say that “I Bet On Sky” is like the Squier edition of the Dino catalog. An inferior, shoddy piece of work from a previously special band/brand. If they continue on and rebound after this weak add album, I’ll be shocked.

zandra December 23, 2012, 19:29:37