Published: 2012/10/17

Cody Burnside Passes Away

Rapper and North Mississippi Allstars collaborator Cody Burnside has died. The cause of his death has not been confirmed as of press time.

The grandson of Mississippi Hill Country Blues legend R.L. Burnside, Cody blended his family’s southern roots music with his interests in rap and hip-hop. Along with his brother Cedric and uncle Garry, he formed the Cedric Burnside Project, which blended blues, funk, R&B and soul with current strains of modern music. A close friend of the North Mississippi Allstars, he joined members of the Burnside and Dickinson families, as well as other friends, as part of the Hill Country Revue. He appears on the 2004 live album the ensemble recorded at Bonnaroo in 2004. He also raps on North Mississippi Allstars’ 2003 album Polaris and has a composer credit on the blues trio’s 2009 release Do It Like We Used to Do.

Comments

Rockin out with Grandpa now October 17, 2012, 16:33:58

So sad, saw him with Hill Country Revue and will never forget it. I doubt his Gramps was ready to see him so soon. RIP.

Cloudy Knight October 17, 2012, 18:04:20

I know you guys aren’t professional journalists, but how about telling us his age, and maybe where he was when he died and if he left any family besides musicians?

Daddy's BBQ October 17, 2012, 18:46:32

Our prayers go out to the Burnside family. Sad day. – James

Benaye October 18, 2012, 00:13:11

So sad

Vaughn October 18, 2012, 06:59:16

I knew him personally. He was with his family when he passed, and he was only 29. So sad.

Sandi McNamara October 19, 2012, 18:08:53

I am so sorry to hear of Cody’s death. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to Cedric and the rest of the family. Cody and his music will not be forgotten.

Traci L October 22, 2012, 20:54:58

Gone way to soon! Cody lived for his daughter and loved his mother with all his heart. I will never forget the sparkle in his eye when he spoke of them both! I know Cody is in heaven with Big Daddy and Big Mamma making beautiful music. My heartfelt condolences go out to Ced and his entire family. RIP friend, you’ll be missed!!!