Published: 2012/10/31

Trey Anastasio Covers The Five Stairsteps on Fallon

The Trey Anastasio Band covered the Five Stairsteps’ “O-o-h Child” on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last night. Despite all of the problems associated with Hurricane Sandy, the band was still able to make its first appearance on Fallon’s show. Anastasio first covered “O-o-h Child” on his first solo tour in 1999 and performed the song regularly through 2001. He revived the number at two shows during the original Trey Anastasio Band’s final outing in 2004, and he then brought the number back along with Original TAB in 2008. Before Anastasio kicked off his song, Fallon described him as one of the greatest guitarists around and said “I love him so much.” Late Night musical director and Roots drummer Questlove also tweeted how much he liked Trey Anastasio Band’s percussion section.

As previously reported, Trey Anastasio’s show at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY has been rescheduled for a later, undetermined date. You can watch the full video of the Trey Anastasio Band’s performance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon above.

Comments

me October 31, 2012, 13:07:43

Always loved that tune… being a year younger than Trey, I always wondered if he picked it because it was featured in a movie that was a teenage cult classic when we were teenagers called “Over The Edge”... which had a great sound track, including this song! Plus the lyrics are fitting for the situation on the East Coast right now…

amy October 31, 2012, 13:38:32

loved that he played the marley guitar too. haven’t seen that one in a while. I think it was a great choice, and one of his better tv appearances. go Trey.

Yo October 31, 2012, 18:16:27

Didn’t realize it was a cover? Seriously? The choice was perfect in light of the events of the week.

Scott October 31, 2012, 18:27:44

I loved the choice of song. Very new age! Very apropos! It flows well with the theme of Traveler. Thanks Trey for creating a rhythm with which we can march into the light!

Pamela Peery November 3, 2012, 03:18:41

thanks trey. sweet song. perfect timing. loved it.

wexford November 4, 2012, 15:40:12

In 1968, I heard a dic jockey in Cleveland (WMMS) say that the song just released by Jimi Hendrix was terrible and a real disappointment compared to his first album. The song was a cover of Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower”. Most people now say that is one of Hendrix’s finest. Time will decide the quality of O-o-h Child cover by Trey. I like it and better than the original by the Five Stair Steps. The Five Stair Steps were actually a very fine family group, with some very nice sounds.

TREY'S AXE November 5, 2012, 20:02:40

This is not the original Mar Mar guitar right? Was it refinished or does he own several with the same or similar head stock inlays?

Ron November 10, 2012, 21:14:11

This was seriously awesome. Loved it Trey!

Something'sPhishy October 31, 2012, 11:34:11

Check out review, setlist & pics from Saturday night’s Everyone Orchestra (feat Fishman) show in NYC... http://drypaintsigns.blogspot.com/

Surlybuf October 31, 2012, 12:02:30

Didn’t realize this was a cover. Not that great of a song. Odd choice to cover.

TCinNYC October 31, 2012, 12:05:11

I thought it was a GREAT song choice, well played & I could feel the passion. Thanks Trey & Fallon just for making it happen. My family & I are without power down in Soho, & when i saw the vid when I got to work today it made me feel better. Things are going to get brighter for sure!! Stay safe everybody.

paul October 31, 2012, 12:31:53

Horiible song! if you lived through the ’70s you were blessed with an overabundance of great music and a smaller yet putride amount of radio garbage by one hit wonders. O-o-child? As bad as it gets