Current Issue Details

Buy Current Issue

News

Published: 2012/11/15

Phish Confirm Lost Show from 1989

A Phish poster from that era

Phish have announced that they were recently able to confirm a previously unknown show at the Lyndon State College cafeteria in Lyndonville, VT on December 2, 1989. A post on their Facebook page reads “A fun rarity today in Phish history. We were able to 100% confirm a previously unknown show from 1989 at Lyndon State College and add it to our database. This show took place in the Lyndon State College cafeteria with a capacity of 180. The setlist is still unknown.”

Band archivist Kevin Shapiro notes,“This show took place in the Lyndon State College cafeteria with a capacity of 180. This was a 18-and-over show that was not listed in the November 1989 Phish Update and was limited to students-only, although it is confirmed that some non-students did make their way inside. This was the band’s only gig at L.S.C. An article in the student newspaper began with “Phish, known in some circles as a psychedelic band and similar to the Grateful Dead and Max Creek, will be coming to Lyndon State College Saturday, December 2. The band has developed a large following from all over the state, however they will be performing to a limited crowd at Lyndon if the 180 person limit is met.” There are no tapes of this performance in archives and it may have gone unrecorded. The setlist is unknown and any additional information about this event is appreciated.”

Comments

There are 15 comments associated with this post

Mf'n B.J.C. November 16, 2012, 10:55:30

considering I went to LSC, ya its kinda big news, i had heard they were there, now its backed up. all i heard for 4 years is, trey is my sisters fiances brother, and mike was at my cousins wedding and I had lunch with page at the diner and on and on…maybe with this news at least one of those could be true. i didnt like phish til i left VT

derpa November 15, 2012, 19:16:13

I love Phish as much as the next guy, but this is the least newsworthy thing ever.

Stephen November 15, 2012, 20:11:14

As a huge phish fan this is huge news to me, sorry derpa

Huge phish fan November 15, 2012, 21:14:37

As a huge Phish fan, listening to early recordings is only cool once, when your in college and its not past the year 2000. I’m sure that show sucked as much as the food the cafeteria served, by today’s standards.

Ron November 15, 2012, 23:20:30

Love it!
Love my Phish fried.

Blooby November 16, 2012, 06:05:45

Huge Phish Fan, I am confused. Are you saying you don’t enjoy Phish recordings before 2000? Thanks for not spelling “fan” with “ph” by the way.

TCinNYC November 16, 2012, 08:12:36

Love it!! I M O there are many shows that are not documented. I know for a fact that I saw my first show at Nectars on a Monday or Tuesday night either the week before or the week after the 87 Goddard Halloween show. A great Guy who lived on So Willard & his buddies encouraged me to go, so I did. I have never seen that show on any formal list. The first show documented that I know I was at, comes next Monday. Hunt’s 11-19-87. 25 years baby & I love listening to early Phish.

Georg November 16, 2012, 12:23:29

This changes everything…

Ryan November 16, 2012, 13:37:14

“derpa” is correct! This is news?!? They don’t know the setlist and, as far as they know, no recordings exist. This is not news!

me November 16, 2012, 14:07:28

This is bigger news than the announcements that it’s not news… AND pre 94 Phish is the best Phish to listen to… not to take anything away from post 93 Phish shows, but certainly pre 94 shows an intensity and drive that is, for the most part missing afterward… if for no other reason than by 94 they had pretty much reach the pinnacle of talent and instead turned to expanding their sound rather than simply working on inventing it…

Doug November 18, 2012, 10:42:43

Geraldo Rivera says he thinks the tape is hidden in a basement wall of an old mill in the Northeast Kingdom of VT..

dk70 November 23, 2012, 10:29:58

NOW I can sleep. Thank God this mystery has been solved. I agree with “me” I will include 1994 as a terrific year for the band, solely on the strength of the Beacon Theatre run right on the heels of the release of “Hoist”. Small theater era Phish was the greatest. They were big enough to be taken seriously but small enough to still be “on the verge”. Plus hearing the barbershop stuff without amplification was the coolest.

MarZaPhiGar November 23, 2012, 16:36:35

‘94 was also weird cuz they were on MTV and also getting a lot of play on alt-rock radio. you’d hear DWD or SIAJ sandwiched btwn green day and collective soul or some other fucking awful shit.

gelato riviera November 26, 2012, 22:53:01

tater tots>skware rubbery pizza>cat soup/veggable Encore: chocolate milk

family bazerker December 17, 2012, 21:18:52

This sounds like the story of the ghost (show).....sorry couldn’t help mice elf

Note: It may take a moment for your post to appear

(required) (required, not public)