Published: 2012/12/28

Reunited The Rascals to Play Hollywood, FL

The Rascals will perform at Hollywood, FL’s Hard Rock Café over Memorial Day weekend. The band’s original lineup—keyboardist/singer Felix Cavaliere, singer Eddie Brigati, guitarist Gene Cornish and drummer Dino Dinelli—reunited for a series of shows at Port Chester, NY’s Capitol Theatre earlier this month. Besides a few private appearances, these were the influential ‘60s band’s first shows in 40 years.

Billed as Once Upon a Dream, The Rascals’ reunion shows combined prerecorded interviews and video reenactment of the band’s early days with a traditional concert. E-Street Band guitarist Steven Van Zandt produced the shows and wrote the concert’s scripted moments. During the show’s Port Chester finale on Saturday, December 22, Van Zandt took the stage with The Rascals for a bow during their encore. He plans to bring the Once Upon a Dream show to other markets, including the above-mentioned Hollywood, FL Hard Rock Café.

Comments

Paul Coyne December 29, 2012, 19:55:29

I hope Once Upon a Dream comes to LA or San Diego.

Sam Anello December 30, 2012, 18:10:52

And San Francisco

Charlie Souza January 1, 2013, 16:22:21

After having played with Gene & Dino in the New Rascals, this is all they ever really wanted! I am so happy for them! The show in New York was one of the BEST ROCK REUNION SHOWS YOU’LL EVER SEE!! Don’t miss this Florida Show!

Kenny Thompson January 1, 2013, 20:13:46

it would be fantastic if The Rascals could/would play in Madison Square Garden. The show would be awesome. I am praying and “Dreaming” for this to happen.

Mary DeCaro January 3, 2013, 18:02:08

Rascals fans waited 42 years for this reunion. The Capital Theater shows were fabulous. I flew from Florida to attend the opening weekend. The Rascals never looked or sounded better. The shows surpassed all my expectations. Not only did they get a standing ovation at the end of the show. They got standing ovations after individual songs. Don’t miss an opportunity to see the Rascals together again!

Sal Bonura January 3, 2013, 19:12:58

I will be there for shure,couldn’t make the N.Y.shows due to cicumstances.i’m looking forward for this event.

marv curry January 3, 2013, 21:20:31

On my way to florida for the winter, we detoured to P.C. to see the show. Unbelievable. It was all and more than I ever expected. Please bring The O.U.a D. concert to Canada this summer.

George Elliot January 5, 2013, 10:13:25

I remember seeing the rascals at Iona College and the schaefer beer music concerts.Felix Cavaliere was my idol.I played organ in a band beginning in 1966.The Rascals were one of the first American rock bands to incorporate and highlite a hammond B3organ.We played all of their popular hit songs at high school dances.The concert on Dec. twentieth at the Capitol was very enjoyable.It was also good to see Vinnie Pastore as the narrator.Steve Van Zandt brought the musical magic of the Rascals back to life with this unique production.

cheryl January 7, 2013, 16:25:16

What is your concert schedule? Are you coming near Orlando?

Glenn Mohr January 7, 2013, 21:55:11

I must add my congratulations to Steve Van Zandt and the Rascals for doing it, and doing it so right. I was afraid it might have been a train wreck….but they were “Wonderful”.
Being from LI, NY, if you looked hard enough back in 1966/67 you could find the Rascals almost every weekend playing somewhere in the NYC area….my friends and I took full advantage! Some incredible memories of Steve Paul’s Scene ( with Leslie West and the Vagrant’s), numerous high schools, Westbury Music Fair etc, etc, I was a very young keyboard player and Felix changed my life! I went to 2 of the Capitol shows and the second week was even better than opening night. Most memorable for me was The incredible voice of Felix Cavaliere, as if time has stood still…amazing. Was wondering if there were legal issues regarding the use of Midnight Hour & Mustang Sally….neither song performed, but both interpretations that changed “bar bands “forever.

ray nevin January 15, 2013, 10:24:34

rascles and earth wind and fire greatest bands of all time uplifting messages rock on

Desi Coltrane January 18, 2013, 11:53:51

It would be so FABulous if The Rascals could do more Performances in New York. So many New Yorkers were just Blown Away from their, ‘Once Upon A Dream’ Reunion – myself included!!! – that the Capitol Theatre, as Beautiful as it is, is rather small. They could fill larger Venues, or even do Venue of the same size…The point is, we want MORE of The Rascals. This was a Thrill, to See them Look Terrific, Sound the same, and Most of All, LOVE what they are Doing. More Rascals, PLEASE!!! Thank You, So Very Much, Felix, Eddie, Gene, and Dino!!!

John Spohn January 19, 2013, 01:32:26

WOW....Would love for them to come to the West Coast, California. Either Los Angeles or Santa Barbara would be great! What an awesome group and so glad they have reunited! Have always LOVED their sound from day one… You ask…How Can I Be Sure.

Liz Keating January 20, 2013, 11:42:26

Saw you at the barge
I would like a pass to get together with you all again.

Artie January 20, 2013, 13:58:22

Never got to see them back in the day, too young.
Even though my dad was a bartender at the Choo-Choo Club. I’m floating on a cloud since I found out they’ll be in Hollywood. How come Dave is not
in the shows? Such a great singer and so much a
part of their sound.

dave malavenda January 21, 2013, 09:21:00

I was fortunate enough to see this great production on the closing night. Its worth every penny!!!...My sincere thanks to Steven and Maureen Van Zant for giving us back this rock & roll treasure and sharing the dream with the rest of us.

Kate Schaad January 25, 2013, 09:58:29

Loved the 12/22 Port Chester, NY show. I’ve been thinking about it ever since. Many thanks to Steven and Maureen Van Zandt for making it happen and to all the Rascals for coming together again. How can I get on a list to find out about the FL show?

steve reynolds March 12, 2013, 13:04:05

my ‘bucket list’ has the Rascals playing at Shoreline, Mt. View, California (San Jose?). the last time I saw them live was at my Senior Ball, class of 1968, Pelham Memorial High School, Pelham, New York. Felix lived right across the street from PMHS!! His mother was the first person I met in 1965 upon arriving in Pelham. Please bring the ‘Show’ to the South Bay Area.

Barry Erdman March 19, 2013, 16:45:15

I’m adding my plug for coming to Colorado. I was perhaps 13 years old when I attended the Murry the K RKO matinee concert in Brooklyn. 1964? 1965? The Who, The Cream, Martha and the Vandellas, Patti LaBelle and the bluebells… and the Rascals. $3.50?, plus a free Murry the K record album for getting there at 11am… and with the ticket stub in hand, permission to stay for the 2nd show; an evening with the Rascals. Groovin was already a hit by then. As a young drummer, Dino, was my drum hero and a musician role model. Jazz drummers with chops playing rock!

joseph assaly April 5, 2013, 07:55:30

My friends family used to own the CHOO CHOO CLUB in Garfield, I was only a kid but my friend and I would go to th club during the day and listen to them practice for the nites show.
One nite my friend and I were allowed to go to the club to watch the show but was only allowed to stay till about 11pm.
While on a break from the show Felix took us home, I felt like a star as a impressional kid.

Frank Caesar Branchini April 20, 2013, 08:49:49

One of the first live concerts I ever went to was The Rascals at The Westchester County Center. I hope that Once Upon A Dream comes to Washington or Baltimore or even Philadelphia. Would love to see The Rascals live again.

Ron April 21, 2013, 19:05:31

My band in the 60’s played several venues with the rascals. Our band was called the Revells. Great memories with the boys.